Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Val's Story page

valmason01 is online now Senior Member

Red face Val's Story

I am new to the forum but have been following the paleo/primal/wheatbelly way of eating for about 4 1/2 months. To date I have lost 22 pounds and 13 overall inches. I start this from a different place than many I have seen here and hope that by journaling my own experience I can help others who are coming at this from a similar starting place.

In short from the age of approximately 5 or 6 I have not been active or what is considered a normal weight. (I am 46 now). A lifetime of being overweight combined with poor genetics destroyed my health and my self esteem. In the last few years I have very slowly and painfully started rebuilding my self. I have type II diabetes, high blood pressure and fibromyalgia. After a hysterectomy when I was 40 my health took a nose dive. I was sick all the time and miserable. So my start into this lifestyle was fueled by desperation and a desire to become the person I knew I was meant to be. Healthy, active, able to take care of myself and others and leap small buildings in a single bound

I know I am not the only person in the world whose story begins this way....I hope that as I continue to share my story it will provide some hope to others. I also hope (ask? beg!!?) for support, help, suggestions along the way.

Thanks for letting me tell my story and be a part of the larger primal journey.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    You will find lots of support here. You are probably not unlike many of the participants here. I came for weight loss, but have learned, grains and the sugar were causing other problems beyond weight.

Congrats on your great start.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Siobhan is online now Senior Member
    You will find a lot of support here, and personally I have found journaling to be very motivating and enlightening. Reading other people's journals is also very, very helpful. There is so much information here and it is great to come here and be with like-minded folks. Welcome!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Thank you both! I need all the support I can get

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Val,
    First off, congrats on your weight loss...that is fantastic!! I have found that as I have lost some weight I can see a glimpses of what a healthier me looks like and that is what keeps me motivated. I, too, came here for health and weight loss. Keep journaling on your journey.
    B2B

Thanks so much for all the support! And the welcome!

I am obsessed with numbers! To the point I was counting calories last night. Whats up with that? I weigh every morning and have started checking my measurements obsessively. I am driving myself crazy. So glad I know have MDA to drive crazy too.

I really just want to be healthy. I don't care about how I look. No....really! I mean it!! Well...maybe I care a little. But I do want to be healthy. I want more energy! I want to go canoeing but never have and can't find someone to go with. Same with kayaking, hiking, etc. Though I am a little nervous of hiking because my knees are punishing me for a lifetime of making them carry fat.

Whew...sorry about that. I needed to rant. Back to normal reporting:

yesterday: Muffin in a minute w/ cream cheese and butter and bacon.
    Ribeye steak with roasted cauliflower. Fat bomb and bacon.
    Swam 10 laps. So nice to get out in the sunshine. Sunny Florida has been very very gloomy lately.

Sleep: way too much. Maybe 10 hours? That has been improving too but if I can stay in bed and sleep I will. (See rant above about energy)

Goals: Reduce/Remove meds. Normal blood sugar. Normal weight. Normal blood pressure. Energy!! Become more active outdoors person. Camp, canoe, kayak, hike. Not be limited by my body!

Spoiler Alert: Personal rant ahead. There is probably way too much information in this journal entry but I need to vent.

After a month of anti-fungal meds for candidia overgrowth I ran out. Was out for two days and symptoms started again. Intense diarrhea, fatigue, etc. Call the NP, she prescribes more. Things start to even out and boom. Ever since Sunday night same thing. I am exhausted. Everything I eat goes through me. Stomach cramps. I have all the symptoms of gluten intolerance but i am not eating any gluten. Carbs have been very low, 15 grams or under and no weight loss. I really don't know what else to do. Exercise has been poor though I do move around a lot at work but I am just exhausted because I am not sleeping. And to top it off I didn't get the assignments I wanted at work and I was stuck in a room w/ no windows all day long. Sunshine this morning and rain by the time I left work. (Thank heavens Tuesdays are the only day that happens, now that I think about it that very well may have something to do w/ my mood.)
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

I haven't been very consistent with this journal but have spent a lot of time lurking, reading and asking questions on other posts. There is a lot of information out there and it is hard sometimes to know what is right for my body. I have the last few days had what I consider way too many carbs, just out of a sheer frustration of trying and not seeming to succeed. I have felt better than I have in a couple of months which makes me wonder if I am not eating enough carbs. I haven't checked my BS though. Certainly low carb is not keeping it down. So, I am going to raise the carbs slightly, lower the protein to 55 grams (per paleogirls formula, in another post) and eat keep fats at around 100 grams (kind of scary to even post that number after years of low fat preaching). The next step is up the work outs. I am not an athlete and have spent most of my life sedentary. The desire to change, to go outside, be more active continues to grow. I think that inside me is an active, vibrant, strong woman. I just have to keep digging her out.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

PrimalCon New York
    I spent the day online reading articles, posts, thoughts, journals etc trying to come up with my own answers. What works best for me? Of course the only way to answer that is to run my own research experiments but I can and do build on the research of others. I have developed a plan for the next 30 days. My own whole30 if you will. Counting calories, fat, saturated fat, carbs and proteins. Based on a formula posted by paleogirl I should have 100 grams of fat, 55 grams of protein and 26 grams of carbs. I am raising that protein at least in the beginning just to keep myself from being so hungry I end up losing focus. My goals for the next 30 days are appx 1300 calories, under 100 grams of fat, 65-70 grams of protein and under 30 grams of carbs. If my blood sugar continues to be high I guess that means cutting the protein. I very much hope that will not happen. Next step is to up the activity using Mark's essential moves (I am way down low in the phases) and lots of movements. So at the end of the day I have a plan and bone broth simmering in the crock pot.

Today's menu: BAS /Sausage and roasted cauliflower/4 pieces of bacon/Dark Chocolate
    Breakdown: 1299 cals/97.5 Total fat/44 sat fast/28.5 carbs/40.5 protein

Blood sugar before evening meal: 108/ 1 hour postprandial 106
    Activity: None
    Last edited by valmason01; 09-03-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast