Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to not eat enough? Weight gain? page

golangrok is offline Senior Member

Is it possible to not eat enough? Weight gain?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys,
    I'm still very green to the Primal lifestyle and I find that since I'm eating fat/protein (not crazy amounts, mind you, but a moderate serving of meat in a stew with veggies) I get full and stay full.
    So I'm usually only eating about two meals a day, that are large. But I used to eat much more. I'm just simply not hungry. I've only been Paleo totally for the past week or so so I don't think I'm burning enough fat to be sustaining myself.
    I'm up 4lbs on the scale from last week, weighed at the same time and place, naked. Could I be shocking my metabolism? Other factors: I haven't been drinking as much water, I am PMSing, my potassium supps ran out...

Today's the first day that I'm going to track my nutrition. I'll average when the week is up and post my stats so you guys can help.
    Right now, I'm a 16yo girl, somewhat active, at 5'5" and 165lbs. I'm hoping to lose 25lbs from where I stand at least.
    Thanks

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    you will just have to count your calories to make sure you're getting enough/not too much. according to an online calorie calculator you should be eating around 1400 calories if you want to lose weight (make sure you count in exercise into the calorie counting too, unless it's in the morning on an empty stomach).

You don't have to count calories religiously, just make sure it's around 1400 and you should lose weight

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I think you're doing just fine you're naturally eating less, don't force it to become even less. And eat more when you're more hungry
    Billie trips balls

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Could be water retention if you are at the end of your cycle. You need to give your body time to adjust as well. Also, you are 16 and quite possibly still growing. Just eat healthy, follow your hunger, and stay away from the scale for at least a month!

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    also make sure you weight yourself in the morning before you have eaten or drank to check your results, i notice food and water can add up to 5 pounds of weight when i eat.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm still very green to the Primal lifestyle and I find that since I'm eating fat/protein (not crazy amounts, mind you, but a moderate serving of meat in a stew with veggies) I get full and stay full. So I'm usually only eating about two meals a day, that are large. But I used to eat much more. I'm just simply not hungry. I've only been Paleo totally for the past week or so so I don't think I'm burning enough fat to be sustaining myself.
    I'm up 4lbs on the scale from last week, weighed at the same time and place, naked. Could I be shocking my metabolism? Other factors: I haven't been drinking as much water, I am PMSing, my potassium supps ran out...

Today's the first day that I'm going to track my nutrition. I'll average when the week is up and post my stats so you guys can help.
    Right now, I'm a 16yo girl, somewhat active, at 5'5" and 165lbs. I'm hoping to lose 25lbs from where I stand at least.
    Thanks
    I think you've found the key. Pay attention to your body's hunger cues. Eat for optimal nutrition when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not.

Females don't see drastic differences instantly. Give it at least 6 weeks (or maybe a couple of cycles) to see how your body responds. We are cyclical, hormones do have an effect.

And don't weigh...MEASURE.
    Attention Scale Addicts! | Everyday Paleo
    Attention Scale Addicts, part 2 | Everyday Paleo
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

cantat is offline Senior Member
    This month, my weight shot up like 4-5 pounds TWO WEEKS before my period. It hovered around there, came down a pound or so, and then when I finally started on my period it fell off and the losses I'd racked up started showing. So maybe it's that. Don't stress...this works. I stick with it, and as long as I do, I lose weight. Maybe I won't show a loss, but I'm still losing, and it eventually shows up.
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Thank for all the replies. I actually feel much better today - upped my water and stayed clean.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    It's probably just water retention. I feel so much fullness in my belly the days surrounding the start of my period that I don't dare weigh myself - I'm sure I carry 3-5 extra pounds of water. Give it another week or two and check again.

And Sandra is spot-on: your measurements and how your clothes fit are more important and helpful than scale weight.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly! I always tell folks to ditch the scale. Don't be a slave to it! Weight is not synonymous with health!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast