Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie looking to heal 30+ years colitis page 2

WendyB is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you, Kate!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyB View Post
    Lewis, thank you for your input. I eventually read about so many people who went on the SCD and lost a lot of weight their first couple weeks -months even -and became weak and that seemed to be the "norm". My problem was that I didn't have any fat to lose because I was already thin. I ended up losing muscle. Thanks for the info to read about Robb Wolf. Will do that today.
    That is interesting. When you think about it, the SCD is really not that different from Paleo/Primal. What's out with the SCD is basically starchy foods (including cereal grains), sugar and other processed or refined foods, and unfermented dairy products. There are some differences in details, but that's not different in essentials.

If a lot of people are losing more weight than they really want to, then I'd have to think they're taking out bread and sugar and milk and processed foods, but they're not replacing them with enough -- not eating enough of the foods that they can eat.

My understanding of the Paleo way of eating is to eat grass fed and wild meat, vegetables, some fruit and plenty of healthy fats. I'm getting plenty of fat so far in the form of coconut oil, coconut milk, olive oil, mayo (still using store bought but will start making my own when this runs out). I'm not losing weight, in fact I may have put on a pound which is welcome!
    I'd say that's pretty much spot on. But when you think about it there's nothing in that list you just gave that anyone couldn't eat on the SCD (except store-bought mayo).

Some people do seem to run into trouble with Paleo/Primal. An example would be the listener who recently emailed the Caveman Doctor podcast to say she had become constipated since going Paleo. She had sent a food log, and he said, looking at it, that her problem was likely that she wasn't eating enough fat.

Yeah, your list of what you are consuming looks good, and if you're putting on weight it sounds like a good sign. Best of luck.

WendyB is offline Junior Member
    Since it was a year ago that I tried the SCD I don't recall every detail but what I do remember was having to start off eating a lot of chicken soup and puree carrots. I couldn't drink the grape juice because of the high sugar content (I had a fungal infection) or add any dairy keifer. What I could eat contained very little to no fat. I seem to be digesting fats much better now.

Thanks for the good wishes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12