Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's grass fed beef page 5

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    if they pack meat from country x on monday and from country y on tuesday they may not mix it but just use the same label for simplicity.

Bails is offline Junior Member
    At our TJ's, it's $5.99 a pound (tucson). In Chicago, it's also $5.99 a pound. The package says "100% grass fed"

The kind at Costco looks like it has the same packaging, but there are no grass-fed claims on it (only organic claims).

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan View Post
    This is the only comment that keeps me from completely pulling my hair out (if I had any). I don't understand y'all. Why do you care what TJ carries? Buy meat from someone local. If you don't know of a local producer then order it from one of the many that ship. You may pay a little more than $5 but you will get ground, roast and steak for the price. If you want a recommendation just ask. There are so many ranchers and farmers struggling to make ends meet and TJ buys from Australia? That is enough reason not to shop there ever. Support your local economy. We have been in recession because we want everything cheaper, so we buy from China or Guatemala instead of buying US. We all have the power to change this countries direction by buying local! Quit worrying about a company that does not support our local economy and find a local rancher or farmer at localharvest.org or eatwild.com.

Proudly eating grassfed beef for the last 13 years always from local ranchers!
    Texan

Texan, I am hearing you loud and clear. I clearly see how buying foreign is killing our jobs and slowly eating away at this country. I recently made the switch to only grass-fed beef, and now I am upping the ante and only buying local, from small farming families.

Yes, it's a bit more expensive, but I'm not eating as much food as I used to, I'm not hitting Starbucks or 7-11 for Slurpees and candy every day anymore, and I'm doing a much better job of managing my leftovers and produce so it doesn't spoil on me (still not perfect, but improved).
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

lizch is offline Senior Member
    For anyone in northern OR or WA state, Thundering Hooves sells grassfed ground beef for $4.99 a pound. You order direct and then choose from a long list of delivery sites. On delivery day, a truck pulls up and you get your loot. Felt gloriously subverted, particularly because I picked up some raw milk too!

ThunderingHooves.net
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Shibbel is offline Member
    Outside of the meat not being local, another big knock on TJ's ground beef is the content. Actually, the problem with most purchased ground beef is that it's made of scarps from dozens, if not hundreds of animals. The local farmer I buy from has "whole cow" ground beef, which is just that, the whole cow...and it's $3.49 to boot.
    You don't pay your bills with counterfeit money, so why feed your body with counterfeit food?

Leena is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCOHTom View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here but I'm more concerned about how my food is raised than the grain/grass diet. I think that local, pastured beef is the best choice out there; it supports our local farmers and our local environment. On the other hand, if you can get 'organic' (non-CAFO) beef within your budget it's not such a bad choice. If you're concerned about the omega ratios, include shellfish in your diet.
    If it is not 100% grass fed, and if it says grain fed, the cattle were raised in a CAFO. If ethics are your concern, don't buy it.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Thundering Hooves is no longer in business.

Maybe do a web search for local grass fed beef. Eat Wild

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibbel View Post
    Outside of the meat not being local, another big knock on TJ's ground beef is the content. Actually, the problem with most purchased ground beef is that it's made of scarps from dozens, if not hundreds of animals. The local farmer I buy from has "whole cow" ground beef, which is just that, the whole cow...and it's $3.49 to boot.
    Well yea. You grind up scrap meat. Not usable chuck, tenderloin, sirloin.....you grind the odd bits and pieces. If you are a commercial processor, you have bins that the bits go in as you butcher. They go to frig as they fill. At the end of the day you run a grinder. I do the same thing processing hogs on a smaller scale, or deer. I'm not fool enough to grind good meat into mush....

You-all are so freaking divorced from the reality of food and food production that it is beyond ridiculous.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    There's a Mississippi Market by my place that has grass fed for a decent price, not much more than conventional beef.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    Well yea. You grind up scrap meat. Not usable chuck, tenderloin, sirloin.....you grind the odd bits and pieces. If you are a commercial processor, you have bins that the bits go in as you butcher. They go to frig as they fill. At the end of the day you run a grinder. I do the same thing processing hogs on a smaller scale, or deer. I'm not fool enough to grind good meat into mush....

You-all are so freaking divorced from the reality of food and food production that it is beyond ridiculous.
    I don't think so. There is a growing number of sources of grass fed ground beef which is not just CAFO scraps. My local guy sells ground angus which contains everything except the tenderloin at $6.50 per pound and he is just 10 miles away.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast