Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil =fat-melter, meat satiation, and other fails... page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil =fat-melter, meat satiation, and other fails...

I've learned a lot for MY BODY on primal, since 2010, and a few things that it's taken a few years to get a definitive stance on, for me, is that: more coconut oil = weight gain, no satiety, increased hunger. More meat= increased weight gain and hunger. I could eat a whole cow and jar of delicious virgin coconut oil in one sitting. It doesn't matter if I eat no carbs, just fat and meat, I'll eat a lot, and get plump. Lean meat+lots of veg = thinner. No meat, lots of veg, 4 tablespoons of fat, give or take=lean. Sweet potatoes, veg, starch, two tablespoons of fat = very lean and full. Now, bear with me, my husband, 6'4, 140 lbs, very thin, but ripped, eats whole meat pizzas, bags of chips, bowls of dairy-laden dip, two-loaves of bread per week, and no fat or weight gain. We are 31 years old. Our bodies are different. I do better on veg, seafood, lowfat, no refined sugar, and he does good on anything! I'd hate him, except, I can wear his cuffed jeans...

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil is a win at getting rid of blackheads tho
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Refined fats of any description do nothing for my hunger. Coconut oil, butter, olive oil....all delicious but I could eat tons in isolation and still need a good meal straight after. Only eating whole foods, like a big plate of meat and veg, really keeps me full for any length of time. I suspect it's the same for many people. Protein keeps hunger at bay, not fat in my experience. I know others may find the opposite true too. We're a wacky species.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Yay, I'm happy for you that low-fat high-carb is working so well for you.

Why are you here again? don't remember...

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    When people say fat is satiating, they can't mean eating the same amount of calories of pure fat versus real food will make you feel as full. I mean I'm not jumping on anybody -- it confuses me and I think this obviously has to be this case -- hundreds of calories of coconut oil takes up hardly any space in your stomach. Is the idea that if you wait it out, feeling tummy hunger, that in a little bit you feel like a superstar (with a rumbling stomach, or no?) ?

Doesn't the advice to go high-fat mean eat plenty of fat along with your big, filling plate of vegetables and meat?

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Doesn't the advice to go high-fat mean eat plenty of fat along with your big, filling plate of vegetables and meat?
    Yes. And no. It depends on whose advice your following and on what day. In the book, Mark advocates eating fat from whole animal and vegetable foods (fatty meats/avocados/nuts etc). Or adding fat to your existing meal (butter on your veg etc.). Sounds fine. But then there's the blog posts extolling the virtues of the ubiquitous Bulletproof coffee, which is fat in isolation.

Then there's the forum people who believe that fat is the answer to everything. And others, like me, who find it does little to help satiety. I don't avoid fat, I love it. On naturally fatty foods. But I'm against chugging oils by the spoonful and butter by the brick, because, while they're not exactly empty calories, there's certainly much more beneficial ways to consume them.

So play around with fat, see what effect it has on you. But don't expect it to offer the same satiety/body composition from one body to the next. If someone says to you, "oh, you're not losing weight? You should add more fat!", be very wary. Same applies to hunger. It might work, but it might not.

It's not an exact science, there's too many variables. I think (only think, I'm not sure) this is the point the OP is making.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    also, technically speaking, "low fat" means 30% of calories (or less) from fat. Which by many people's standards is *not* "low fat" in their idea/feeling space about what low-fat means.

on these boards, most people consider you "low fat" if you are below 50% (which I am), or even below 40% (I'm basically at this one).

so, even these have different definitions. i'm also like englishmaninoz -- it's really about food, not adding fat to things. i never really went to any extremes. the toughest was moving to only two pieces of fruit (or less) per day. I was used to eating 3-5 there and then also my veg -- so pretty high carb relatively. by moving to 2 pieces a day, I get the sweetness that I like (after each of my two meals), and I keep my carb count lower.

But, i eat a lot of veggies by volume honestly. so, i'm heading towards 40f, 30p, 30c really.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Where does the assumption that all bodies should work the same way come from?
    I do great on high fat but I lost hunger early in life when kids at school stole my food regularly, I can't rely on satiety to tell me if I ate enough or not -following a plan allows me to avoid mindless eating given how good I became at the mindless stuff lately.
    Ice cream makes me hungry, and so does my hormonal cycling so apparently I'll have a sort of monthly routine of heavy carb binge.
    Coconut oil helped my skin and hair, it had a great impact on dealing with methyl prednisone side effects (which were nasty on my skin and hair) and the only thing with the power to send my life to pot is sugar in all its incarnations (insulin up is a total don't for me). That's me though, it could be useful for someone who has a dynamic matching mine but it could hardly work for a guy trying desperately to gain pound over pound of lean weight.
    Meat is a big fav here at home but anything over my 30 gr of protein (a bit more if I'm glycogen depleted) and insulin will go up through the roof. I can't have BCCA after workouts for the same reason, those are no good for me.
    Primal eating is a good frame, it's not a low carb eating program but a lifestyle which allows people to live healthy and clean; how many carbs you choose to go with is up to you, your body and your goals.
    For me running on carbs is a bad idea, I notice huge improvement when I go VLC which is not common for females -not easy either but I'm tired of having my legs swollen with fluid. Maybe this will change in time, once I get to a more stable situation with less stress and work out a better pharmacological framing with the team following me but I really doubt there's room for tweaking over there.

Luce

I know people who deals amazingly good with carbs, even if refined: no insulin resistance there and nothing remotely resembling excess body fat. Is not my case, my body is all I have to work with so I adjust to what makes me feel better.
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I do better on veg, seafood, lowfat, no refined sugar
    Nothing wrong with that at all. Sounds like a healthy primal diet.

OT: I'm curious why so many people are afraid or unwilling (or whatever the right word) to actually spell out the word vegetable?

I'm not particularly fond of coconut oil either. It's nice to have around for cooking. I think seafood is probably the best thing you can eat, especially salmon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    6'4, 140 lbs, very thin, but ripped
    Holy crap! Feed that dude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast