Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coconut oil =fat-melter, meat satiation, and other fails... page 2

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    OT: I'm curious why so many people are afraid or unwilling (or whatever the right word) to actually spell out the word vegetable?
    I suspect laziness, as all the variants I've seen have fewer letters.

I'm curious as to why OT seems like a good abbreviation for off-topic, when it is an equally good abbreviation for *on*-topic. Or why someone would include an abbreviation in a question asking why someone might use an abbreviation. Not snarking, just amused. :-)

@ the OP -
    I was never one to eat coconut oil off the spoon. meh. But I did cook with it a lot because I liked the taste. I quickly found that this method allowed me to eat tons of extra calories that didn't really add much to my overall *fullness* - same way I can go through a half pound of macadamias without blinking.

What I've found is that whole-foods serve me better for satiation. I still cook with coconut oil, but now I only use it on lean cuts of meat. Like Filet Mignon or flat-iron. But not with strip steak or prime rib - the fattier cuts I favor. Likewise I cook my fairly lean skinless cod in butter and olive oil. But I add very little fat (if any) when I cook skin-on king salmon. Coho and sockeye almost require more fat no matter how you cook them.

Personally I can get by fairly well on mostly meat and fat with few veggies and no starches. If I choose whole foods (or use tricks like the one above where I add just enough fat to mimic the fat that would be on a less-lean cut of meat) I stay full. I do less well on the fiber-fill where I dump lean meat on a leafy salad. It works but doesn't keep me full as long.

My wife, however, is just the opposite. Like you she packs on pounds doing moderate- or high-fat-primal, but leans down fast on a diet of lean(ish) meats and tons of veggies (including starches like white rice and white potatoes). That works for her for steady, consistent weight loss. But she stays hungry and has to snack between meals to get through the day, but if she sticks to mostly whole unprocessed food she loses weight.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    Yay, I'm happy for you that low-fat high-carb is working so well for you.

Why are you here again? don't remember...
    Works well for a lot of people, particularly when they get their carbs from whole foods and their fats from good sources (sat fat/ high omega-3 oils and neutral oils rather than the processed omega-6 crap). And these forums are an awesome place to get both recipes and advice on both good fats and whole foods. There are tons of people on this forum who got great initial results on high- to moderate-fat primal who then plateaued or even gained and had to make adjustments that included more whole veggies, less protein, less fat to reset and continue losing weight.

I guarantee I regularly eat more fat than Mark and waaaay fewer veggies - because my initial success (including a daily BAS like he does and an obscene obsession with broccoli, cauliflower, and homemade salsa) petered out and required changes to figure out what worked best for me. Nixing veggies from most meals did the trick. One thing I've learned on these forums and from my own N=1 (not to mention my wife's N=1 that I mentioned in the above post) is that one size definitely does not fit all.

Oh, and that these forums rock regardless of where you're at in the process.

(Iodine and leptin threads perhaps being the occasional exceptions)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    my primary use of coconut oil is oil pulling. I can't stand to eat the stuff. I can hardly stand to oil pull with the stuff (i could use sesame, but then i'm buying yet another oil; might as well use what is handy). I also use coconut oil on my skin, it's nice there too.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    Holy crap! Feed that dude!
    He eats massive amounts of food He manages a cafe! It's just genetic, as his father and brother are exactly the same!!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    Yay, I'm happy for you that low-fat high-carb is working so well for you.

Why are you here again? don't remember...
    Why so snarky? Many people have difficulty losing weight eating high-fat, and the closer one gets to weight goals, the more necessary it is to reduce fat to see continued improvements. She's not bashing fat, just saying that eating a lot of it doesn't magically melt away body fat, as many people are quick to claim.

I'm always a little jealous of the folks who shed fat by eating fatty stuff; it's never worked for me. I can lose fat only eating low-fat. I got down to 106lbs by eating lean protein and veggies and fruit, and the moment I added fattier foods (mainly from pastured meats and some coconut oil, the weight packed on, even though I kept my carbs at around 50 grams.

I did an elimination diet for several weeks to pinpoint my IBS triggers where I ate no carbs and higher fat, and I totally gained weight. What a downer! That was the final straw in helping me to realize that this high-fat/low-carb thing just doesn't work for me. I wish it did, because in theory it sounds great.

In the past month, I've been experimenting with my diet because I'm trying to figure out if my debilitating fatigue could be either due to or made worse by my diet. So instead of low-carb/high protein/moderate fat, I'm trying low-fat/high carb/moderate protein. Still early, but so far, so good.

Regardless of which macros a person favors, I see this forum as a place for people who are mostly interested in eating real foods - pastured animals, local fruits and veggies, no industrialized seed oils, gluten, etc....with a focus on traditionally prepared/fermented foods. This focus on quality food doesn't necessarily mean either high or low fat eating.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    my primary use of coconut oil is oil pulling. I can't stand to eat the stuff. I can hardly stand to oil pull with the stuff (i could use sesame, but then i'm buying yet another oil; might as well use what is handy). I also use coconut oil on my skin, it's nice there too.
    How long have you been oil-pulling? I tried it with coconut oil a few times, didn't notice anything. I'm thinking of trying it again and giving it a fair chance, but not sure how long that should be - a few weeks?

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    For me its all about net calories, eating clean and keeping carbs under 100 gms per day. My fat macro ratio varies between 45 and 60% of my daily calories. I calculate my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), multiply it by 1.2 and that equals my daily net calorie requirement to maintain weight. I then use MyPlate at Livestrong.com to track exercise calories burned and calculate net daily calories. I keep daily net calories 500 below my requirement and I loose 1 to 2 lbs per week on average. I also intermittent fast 4 days a week and follow an 80/10/10 weekly exercise routine (80% of my weekly exercise is low heart rate cardio, 10% is intervals or hill repeats and 10% is High Intensity Strength training.) I'm a 5'11" male, 60 years old, started on March 4th of this year weighing 213lbs. Currently 165 lbs.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-27-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So interesting to hear the differences with everyone. I would really love to learn the intensely in-depth "why" of it all. I do best with seafood and dairy, moderate to low meat, vegETABLES (), and maybe some eggs. Can't stand fruit, gives me a sugar rush. Never have even really been able to eat a full banana by itself, yet I could eat a pound of meat at once if I wanted! I actually do better with grains than with fruit. My body loves fat--when I was a kid it was all about avocados and sticks of butter. High fat, maybe moderate protein and somewhat low carb. This is the only way of eating that keeps me thin while being able to eat a lot of food! It's also interesting that I'm reading more and more accounts from women here on MDA saying that high-fat isn't working for them, and that they need more carbs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12