Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoes- VFFs worth it? page 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I'm stepping up my game wrt exercise, and I need some shoes. So far, I have a pair of flip flops and a pair of low-cut, wide-soled hiking shoes. I'm guessing neither of these are appropriate for wearing at the gym, or jogging (if we find a dog; jogging would be for the dog, not me).

I checked out some Five Fingers the other day while shoe window shopping, and i was surprised at how thick and inflexible the soles are. as a person who spends 50-100% of her day truly barefoot, I can't imagine those thick soles would allow for normal foot movement/muscle use. Asking people who have them, or have tried them, are they that much better than a well-made, wide-soled trainer? Will my hiking shoes do for the gym, or do i need to buy something else? I'm not really into being trendy (and they are becoming sort of trendy here), but i'm happy to use what works if it truly works.
    I agree anything with a sole is a compromise...I am in merrel barefoot because my toes dont fit vvf but it is not the same..better but not the same.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    If it's just for the gym I'd go with beach shoes like this sort of thing NEW Osprey Ladies Womens Aqua Wet Wetsuit Water Shoes Boots Beach Swim Surf | eBay They only last about 20 miles on tarmac but would be fine for pootling arround indoors. Invisible shoes if you like flip-flops that won't fall off Huaraches Barefoot Running Sandals of the Tarahumara Indians | InvisibleShoe.com Or just get vibrams as they make you look like you have awsome bio-mechanical reptile feet
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    Are they worth it? IMO, yes. I've only been wearing KSOs for a brief time period, a little over a month if I remember correctly but I think they are worth it. I'm flat footed and absolutely love my five fingers for hiking. I used to be able to pop my ankle on command, but cannot since I started wearing these. I am considering taking a hike with a full backpack and a little extra weight in to the area where I plan on packing into in the fall to see if I can wear these (with my leather boots along as backup) . I've packed a 50lbs backpack in them and they felt fine, but my pack ends up heavier than that.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    7 pair, and they are all I wear(sorry for the rhyme;-) KSO(great gym shoe), KSO treks(winter shoes and dress up occasionally), bikila strap/lace ups(they are great for the running/sprints, etc...Spyridons which are great for trails and harder terrain, and Classics for all around wear. I also just recently found a pair of the Adidas version(got em for $40.00 at Marshals, and had to try em), and am actually quite pleased. A little more cushion to them, but very comfortable and worth a try if you are transitioning from shoes to barefoot. Going for the Bormios this winter, and can't wait(thanks for the nikwax tip Doc B:-)

The sizes do run a little different with each style, so make sure and try them on first. Hope this helps, and good luck.
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    thanks guys! the barefoot sandals are definitely worth considering. hubby says a friend claims the VFFs fall apart quickly, like in a matter of a few months. is that true?

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I have five pair of VFFs, and I wear them all the time. No, they aren't falling apart.

Some styles have more "sole" than others. What you need for lifting is no cushion at all... if the gym won't let you do it actually barefoot, then pick a shoe that is as uncushioned as possible. I have classics, which I think would work fine... and the seeyas, which are hyper thin running shoes, but with a tougher bottom on them.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I have never had a pair fall apart... but I'm admittedly not very hard on them.... I do, however, wear the "do not wear outside" leather yoga slippers with no sole at all on parts of the bottom outside (on hard surfaces for walking)! No problems.
    When it's raining I wear a soled VFF like the Classic Smartwool, Bikila, or KSO Treks in winter (LOVE my KSOTreks in winter!).
    I have some regular classics and sprints but they are gross and ugly from walking in the muck on the salt flats with my Kayak, so they have no other use. They have survived a lot of yucky water use and being wet/salt water/muck... no falling apart.
    The Sprints have the across foot strap to hold them secure and are less expansive than the fancy newer models...
    I gotta get me some Seeyas.

Husband is rougher on his... his have not fallen apart either.
    He has KSO Treks, Komodo LS
    He came to wearing VFFs later than me.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the input cori and Raevynn.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Just have to add, I got two pairs six months ago, classics and treks. Wore nothing else but them. Love em. Work recently made me go back to wearing shoes again, feet problems have all come back. Going to try and get my Dr. to write a script for them so I can wear them to work.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My first pair(KSOs) is nearly 2 years old, and still hanging tough. The only rip is the heel loop on the outside.
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast