Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should you do bodyweight workouts? page 2

AndyFossett is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Bodyweight workout can be a lot of fun and can definitely build muscle, as guys like Al and the Barbarians, etc. demonstrate.

Personally, i don't think you should have to choose between weights or no weights permanently. They are both great for different things, and it makes a lot of sense to cycle between various kinds of training as your goals change.

Barbells are probably the easiest tool for adding size. Not the only tool, but probably the easiest. Bodyweight movements focus more on... movement, so they build balance and skill in different ways. Either one can be extremely beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by sandstone View Post
    Tacfit, it's probably the most advanced bodyweight system available today.
    I'd be really interested in knowing what metrics you use to determine "advanced-ness"
    He who laughs last didn't really get the joke.
    Andy Fossett - Gold Medal Bodies

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I think I'm going to do a few days of bodyweight just for the challenge, like one leg squats, or pushup variations, but still keep in heavy squats and deadlifts etc.

Not really interested in Tacfit, I checked it out real fast, anything with COMMANDO, WARRIOR, BARBARIAN, GODZILLA, ANIT-PUSSY on it and a price tag seems a little to gimmicky for me.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyFossett View Post
    Personally, i don't think you should have to choose between weights or no weights permanently. They are both great for different things,
    Either one can be extremely beneficial.
    I agree.
    I do bodyweight movements on gymnast's rings for most of my strength based stuff, but I also incorporate weights for lower body work.
    Either method is simply a means to an end, and, as stated above, your goals should dictate your method.

sandstone is offline Member
    I'd be really interested in knowing what metrics you use to determine "advanced-ness"
    Hi Andy, I've done R1 & P1, I enjoyed them (especially R1) but for me Tacfit is a better fit. PM me if want customer feedback.

@ Wolfman

Agree about the packaging being a bit corny but Tacfit and CST generally is great stuff and has a very different and original perspective than say CC, Al K, YAYOG.

Commando is 9 months of workout even if you hit all the progressions full time- I did it for 12 months and could probably have cycled through the final level again for 15 months (but I was mentally ready for a change by then).

Even if you don't do the program, to incorporate some of their recovery methods is beneficial. I'm sure Andy would agree.

Hi Andy, I've done R1 & P1, I enjoyed them (especially R1) but for me Tacfit is a better fit. PM me if want customer feedback.
    I don't have a problem with Tacfit, but I know quite a bit about the system (you're likely aware of that) and was curious about the label "advanced." Just seemed like an odd assertion depending on how you define your terms. If it's a good fit for you, by all means carry on with what's working for you.

And if you do have feedback on GMB stuff, we're always listening. (And btw, thanks!)

Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher
    Either method is simply a means to an end, and, as stated above, your goals should dictate your method.
    Yeah, training should support the goal. Even if the goal is just to have some damn fun.

sandstone is offline Member
    I don't have a problem with Tacfit, but I know quite a bit about the system (you're likely aware of that) and was curious about the label "advanced." Just seemed like an odd assertion depending on how you define your terms. If it's a good fit for you, by all means carry on with what's working for you.

And if you do have feedback on GMB stuff, we're always listening. (And btw, thanks!)
    By advanced I mean the movements and subsequent progressions are more complex than most other BW programs, particularly I like the fact the most of the exercises don't have a weighted equivalent (the way a push up is relatively similar to a bench press or a BW squat to a barbel squat) a base switch variation cannot really be improved by adding equipment, a spinal rock or forward roll cannot be improved by adding equipment, I'm sure you can make up some kind of weighted equivalent but as I see it for my needs that would be unnecessary.

Obviously recently there has been quite a lot of press about the way complex movements can help to keep the brain more active as you age rather than the normal decline that most people experience (maybe I'm over simplifying but you get the picture).. There's been a video on Youtube recently of a guy in his 70's on a balance board and throwing knives which has sparked a lot of interest.

Also the integration of the warm up/ cool down and recovery is missing for most people who stick to a more conventional style.
    Obviously this applies to all CST programs, yours included, not just Tacfit. I appreciate you know this already but that is why I would label it as advanced compared to most of the BW programs people here would use (YAYOG, Al K, CC etc), which are hard and will do a very good job of keeping you fit and strong in your youth but lack the sophistication to keep giving you results for years and years. Maybe sophisticated or complex are better words as CC is certainly able to take you to an advanced level for BW calisthenics.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i do both, bodyweight and barbell. love 'em both! check out al kavadlo's site.
    Thanks for the shout out!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Looking at Al Kavaldo, it's pretty obvious body weight exercise can give someone incredible strength and a great body. Plus I think there's a measure of elegance in simplicity to body weight workouts.
    Thanks!

Bodyweight workout can be a lot of fun and can definitely build muscle, as guys like Al and the Barbarians, etc. demonstrate.

Personally, i don't think you should have to choose between weights or no weights permanently. They are both great for different things, and it makes a lot of sense to cycle between various kinds of training as your goals change.

Barbells are probably the easiest tool for adding size. Not the only tool, but probably the easiest. Bodyweight movements focus more on... movement, so they build balance and skill in different ways. Either one can be extremely beneficial.
    Thanks for the mention, Andy - and welcome to the boards! Great to see you contributing to this community!

I agree that people don't need to pick either weight training or bodyweight training. The two things can actually complement each other quite nicely.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

By advanced I mean the movements and subsequent progressions are more complex than most other BW programs
    Gotcha. advanced = complex. I can agree that there is complexity there.

(Also: complete aside, but I want to clarify that GMB programs are not CST. We studied and learned from CST, but that's not all we've done, and it's not really a component of what we do now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo
    Thanks for the mention, Andy - and welcome to the boards! Great to see you contributing to this community!
    Thanks Al. I try to help out where I can, when I can. Always a pleasure to see you around as well.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Personally I like mostly barbells with bodyweight as the supplemental stuff, but it could easily be the other way around. They complement each other nicely. Some moves like the deadlift are pretty hard / impossible to replicate with bodyweight exercises, and other moves like chinups are the opposite. The whole "it's good to move your body through space" argument is great, but it's also good to be able to move heavy crap around, too.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, A young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do, my legs won't grow" He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses too Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the BIG men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty-fives, A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees. Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack Chalking his hands and monstrous back, said, "Boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, The trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'." — DALE CLARK, 1983
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast