Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone actually using Primal Fuel? Any alternatives? page

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member

Anyone actually using Primal Fuel? Any alternatives?

Primal Fuel
    And don't tell me to just eat real food. I do that on the weekends, plus weekday breakfast and dinner. Let me tell you why I am looking for a meal replacement for lunch! (well, unless you can sell me on a food that meets the requirements listed below)

I am looking for something I can leave at work so I always have lunch there 5 days a week. I need it to be something super fast and easy to make, and super easy to eat too as I sometimes am working through lunch. (Doh!) Not something that lives in the fridge because other people will use it. >:[ I have a pretty unpleasant gluten intolerance in the form of IBS and migraines, so gluten free is a must.

I was really interested in Primal Fuel at first. The price made me a bit squidgey but then I figured well, it's because it's primal, right? And for 80 bucks over 30 servings, is still a 2.70~ lunch. But then I looked at the ingredients and I don't know that I am entirely on board with them despite the somewhat logical explanations listed for their inclusion.

So if I have to accept that a meal replacement shake is going to have to come with some questionable ingredients... is there a cheaper and or better and or yummier one you can recommend? Or is there one that actually does seem more paleo/whole30ish/primal friendly?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Jerky + coconut milk (can get powdered version if necessary)? Or pemmican?

hmm yes I have considered jerky but I don't know if that is actually more cost effective. xD Maybe if I made it myself which seems kind of daunting.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    hmm yes I have considered jerky but I don't know if that is actually more cost effective. xD Maybe if I made it myself which seems kind of daunting.
    It's actually really easy. I just made a batch earlier this week. You just buy a lean cut of meat, slice it pretty thin, marinate it, then put it in the dehydrator or oven until it's dry. I don't bother using any curing salt or anything and I've never had a batch go bad on me or make me sick. The regular salt that is usually in my marinade and adequate dehydration seem to be sufficient to prevent any bacterial growth.

KB29 is offline Junior Member
    My favorite protein powder/meal replacement is by Gaspari Nutrition called Myofusion. I believe it's a mixture of whey and egg protein. I don't have the can in front of me, but I compared the ingredients to Primal Fuel and there were a lot of similarities. It also has some probiotics added in the mix as well, which I believe helps with absorption of the protein. It also tastes amazing, my favorite is cookies and cream.

A bit harder to find, some GNC's stock it, but easily available online.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel is yummy but yes, it is expensive. The only time I ever had it was at PrimalCon 2011. PF is really just a mix of a high quality whey powder with powdered coconut so you could do it yourself if you wanted to do the mixing. I'm not sure if Mark adds any vitamin supplements to the mix or not.

The other thing about PF is that it really packs a punch calorie wise. It really is a meal. If you add it on to a meal as a drink that could be too much depending on your calorie needs.

You could try making a loaf of the Fat Bread from the Free the Animal site. I swear this stuff is like Hobbit cakes. You eat a little bit and it keeps you full for ages.
    Personally, anything I drink is not going to keep me as satisfied as something I actually sink my teeth into.

Thanks so much for the great replies. I love the idea of the fat bread I was just reading a thread about it the other day, it sounds so fun. I need to get a food processor!

I'm considering splurging on the Gourmet Grassfed jerky touted by the folks at Whole9, it seems quite yummy. :3

I fully cop to kitchen laziness + terror at the idea of me ruining delicious beef with fail jerkying. =P

Paleobird Guest
    A good blender works to make Fat Bread. I did mine in the VitaMix. My first thought when I tasted it was, omygoodness, I'm going to eat the whole thing in one sitting (which is like 3000 calories) but there is no way you can eat too much of this stuff at once. It is just too filling.

Spread it with some mascarpone or cream cheese for even more yumminess.

I also second the pemmican idea above. And another thing I use for hiking food that might work for you at work is Larabars.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-24-2012 at 11:32 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    You can get straight up whey powder and flavor it yourself. Since it's generally purchased in bulk (I can't remember the site, sorry!), it would be fairly cheap. My favorite protein powder is Jay Robb's chocolate whey. I second either investing in a dehydrator and making your own trail mix packs, or attempting jerky in the oven.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I either bring a box of coconut milk and some green tea, or sometimes kombucha. But many days I bring nothing. I work either a ten hour shift or an eight hour shift depending on which way my master yanks the chain, and both are more than manageable fasting periods.

Rarely, if dinner was too small, I'll bring an avocado or two, or what's left of dinner.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast