Hello everyone! This is my first post in this forum and hopefully the first of many.

I am new to eating the primal way and slowly getting used to it. I have been doing a primal diet for about the past 2 weeks with some breaks in the diet on the weekends. So I am a total newbie to this type of lifestyle/diet.

I am a male who is 6'2" and around 180lbs. I am not sure about my body fat percentage yet. I have been lifting weights for the past 5 years off and on but never made much progress because I was doing machines and because I was doing nothing as far as my diet.

When I turned 30 earlier this year I wanted to get more serious about nutrition/health/fitness and so I started reading. My workouts are based on the book "The new Rules of lifting" and soon I will be getting the book "Starting Strength". As far as for nutrition I read this website, the associated book, and "Wheat Belly".

Anyway, my main question right now is about calculating daily calories needs.

I know that I shouldn't be too concerned about daily calorie counting but I feel that getting an estimate would at least help me continue to make progress.

My goal right now is to lose a bit more fat around my mid section before I switch to a muscle building\bulking phase. I want to of course minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss during this cutting phase.

What is the best method to calculate my daily calories needs? Harris Benedict equation? Also the height, weight, and age part of those formulas seem quite straight forward but what about the activity level?

I am not sure what to put for the activity level. I go into an office everyday where I sit at a desk job from 9am to about 4:30PM and then I head home. I workout in the gym 3 times a week with fairly intense workouts.

Let me know what everyone thinks and feel free to ask questions if you need more info to address my questions.

Thank you!