Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back 2 Basics page

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member

Back 2 Basics

Primal Fuel
    I have started this journal several times in my head, but have not had the ambition to actually put what was in my head into words for anyone to see. Over two years ago I started on my paleo/primal journey knowing that I needed to change, to get healthy, and to be my best for my family. Let's just say that losing your mother to her long battle with diabetes is not what I want my son to experience.

I started reading, you know, the usual suspects: Taubes, Sisson, Wolf, Cordain. After I finished the books, I hit the blogs and the forums, mainly just lurking, again taking in and analyzing the information presented, trying to find my way to health. Changing my WOE, increasing my daily physical activity (read walking) and listening to my body resulted in a 45 pound weight loss. Wahoo!!

And then May 2012 came along....I let stress get to me, stopped walking, added in some less than healthy food choice and let bloody , wine and hard cider become more than an occasion occurrence. My focus strayed and I managed to put back on 14 pounds that I had fought so hard to lose. So now it is back 2 basics, refocusing on my health, listening to my body, increasing my physical activity beyond just walking, eating the way my mind and body know is right and being there for my family for a long time.

Here's to my new, reinvented adventure, journaling as I go.

B2B
    Had the best day back to school shopping with my DS. It still does not seem possible that he is entering 10th grade. How did that happen!?! Eight stores, two bags of office/school supplies, four bags of clothes, one pair of shoes, BAS for lunch and a walk around the University where I will be taking a class beginning next week filled our day.

We managed to make it home in time to start thinking dinner, grilled pork chops, salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette, some rice (for the boys) and cantaloup for dessert. My husband and son have not given up the SAD entirely. While I do the cooking and shopping, which I thoroughly enjoy, bread and crackers are still in my pantry and ice cream/Popsicles in the freezer. This can be trying at times for me, but for the most part, I have been able to walk away. Fortunately, I feel like I have been run over by a truck when I ingest anything with gluten. So it is just a matter of asking myself before I eat something if I really want it and the consequences that follow and I have been pretty successful with this approach.

Today will offer up some challenges as we will be heading out to the in-laws. My MIL is very sweet, but still has some trouble wrapping were brain around my WOE. The day will be filled with many questions about what foods are primal and what have I been feeding her son and grandson. Gotta love family!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Good luck to you - with the in-laws, the back-to-school routine AND with being back on track! Journaling appears to be very helpful to many and I hope it will be for you as well. Stick with it!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

B2B
    Thanks for the support, GoJenGo! This shall prove to be an interesting undertaking that I am looking forward to seeing through.

B2B
    Survived the in-laws!!! Joking, they are very sweet and supportive and it is always great visiting the "farm." I did manage to side step the mine fields of chips and sodas that seem to be dominate in their kitchen...no wonder my DS loves visiting Grandma!!

For today, it is boys day at the dirt bike track and I am heading into work to prep for a big meeting on Monday morning and the start of a new school year. I only have a few more tweaks and my room will be ready for the students. After that it is grocery shopping and then home for a mini workout session and whipping up dinner. Tonight I am trying Paleobird's meatloaf recipe she posted in her journal the other day as it looked simply delish.

This should be a low stress, productive day. More later....

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Hi! I have similar food issues with my in-laws, we visit them most every Sunday. They are champions of the SAD and don't understand any of this 'nonsense' though FIL is obese, diabetic and has a pacemaker... Sigh. But I stay away from the chips and dip, I try to avoid the cocktails and the big desserts. Since we go there for dinner, I try to have a big breakfast and lunch, so that I'm not so hungry when dinner time comes and my defenses are low.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, if you could get the in-laws to change just one thing, getting rid of the sodas, that would make a big difference for them and you and the kiddo visiting.
    Sometimes people go paleo by increments. I have a good friend/hiking buddy who started with just cutting out the sugar, then all the fake ingredient stuff, now he is working on cutting wheat while keeping other grains. It's really working for him.

How did the meatloaf turn out?

B2B
    Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    Hi! I have similar food issues with my in-laws, we visit them most every Sunday. They are champions of the SAD and don't understand any of this 'nonsense' though FIL is obese, diabetic and has a pacemaker... Sigh. But I stay away from the chips and dip, I try to avoid the cocktails and the big desserts. Since we go there for dinner, I try to have a big breakfast and lunch, so that I'm not so hungry when dinner time comes and my defenses are low.
    Hello DCarr,
    I have to admit that I ate a pretty big primal lunch @ the in-laws and was able to hold off until later in the evening when we made it back home where some leftover steak hit the spot. I will have to remember to have a decent size breakfast on the next trip -- thanks for the tip.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

B2B
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, if you could get the in-laws to change just one thing, getting rid of the sodas, that would make a big difference for them and you and the kiddo visiting.
    Sometimes people go paleo by increments. I have a good friend/hiking buddy who started with just cutting out the sugar, then all the fake ingredient stuff, now he is working on cutting wheat while keeping other grains. It's really working for him.

How did the meatloaf turn out?
    Paleobird,
    The meatloaf was marvelous. I need to lurk on your journal more often and jot down those recipes/food ideas!! I put tomatoes, onions, bacon and sharp cheddar cheese in the middle of the meatloaf with some of the same on top minus the cheese. Total hit!

When I started changing my WOE, I kicked the HFCS and sugar first and then eliminated the rest shortly after..as for the in-laws they actually have come along way and reduced the amount and varieties of sodas and the amount of chips in the pantry, just not eliminated.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Productive Sunday

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What a great day, so much accomplished and feeling pretty great.

• Spent only 3 hours @ work prepping for tomorrow's meeting
    • Hit the grocery store, meat market and farm market
    • Did my quick Sunday workout...only 20 minutes of body weight exercises
    • Made 2 different types of muffins for the hubby and kiddo (apple-cinnamon and banana chocolate chip)
    • Then dinner and a movie...gotta love Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Tomorrow should prove to be yet another full day ... The week before school starts is always a good time!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast