Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Back 2 Basics page 9

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    A journey that I hope you'll continue on. I know I am never going back.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    I know that my tastes are changing because a bunch of roasted jalepenos and some roasted salsa verde were never permanent fixtures in my house. Heck, they never really stopped in for a visit! Yesterday I was scanning the recipe blogs looking for something new to introduce the fam to when I stumbled upon a Jalepeno popper soup (Jalapeno Popper Soup (Low Carb & Gluten Free) - I Breathe... I'm Hungry...) here. As I was reading through the ingredients it dawned on my that the cheese base of this soup is very much like the base of the broccoli-cauliflower soup I already have in my wheel house. Then I got to thinking, since there is bacon in this soup, why not add in some chicken and turn this into a Cheesy Chicken Jalepeno Popper soup.

So my altercations look like this:
    12 ounces of chicken thighs, diced
    6 ounces of bacon
    1/4 cup of onions
    3 cloves of garlic
    1TBSP butter
    1 cup HWC
    8 ounces of cream cheese
    3 cups of shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese
    4 cups of chicken stock
    4 TBSP roasted salsa verde
    8 Jalepeno peppers

Start with the bacon, dice and cook up. When finished, remove. Use the grease to cook the chicken, onions and garlic. When finished remove as well. While that is happening, wash, dry and broil the Jalepeno peppers until the skin is black on all sides. Remove the skin and dice. In the soup pot you cooked up the bacon and chicken, melt the butter, stir in the HWC and melt the cream cheese. Once all of the cream cheese is melted, add in the shredded cheese. Now that you have this yummy molten of cheese sauce, whisk in the chicken stock. Once blended, put everything else in -- bacon, chicken Jalepenos, salsa verde heat and serve.

This was very yummy and filling. Next time around I may drop about 1/2 to 1 cup of the cheese and add in a bit more salsa verde. The flavor was great, no added spices were needed. I am not really sure why the original recipe had xanthan gum in it...I honestly don't even know what that is, so why bother with it.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

B2B
    Oh chocolate bunny, why did you mock me so? I just didn't nibble on your cute little floppy ears but devoured you entirely.

Well, now that it is gone, back to my "normal."
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    Funny thing happens when you go on a simple vacation, have a great time, eat delicious, decadent food....I kept eating that way. This would not necessarily be a bad thing for some, but for me it was the road to the dark side...I mean the really dark side. The food, the stress, the wine and cider and Rumchata, the poor choices all led me back to where I was last January gaining back 16 of the 20 pounds that I had worked so hard to loose after my, what seemed to be million year, plateau. And to make things worse, not only did the scale keep creeping up, but my measurements expanded to numbers I had not seen in a very long time. My emotional status was not any better, I was getting grumpier and crabbier by the minute, almost in tears when I hopped on the scale or even looked in the mirror. I went to food for my comfort pigged out -- I mean really pigged out. Chocolate and junk food were taunting me at every corner. Desparate for a change I pushing my calorie intake way too low and still did not losing anything -- big surprise there. I did not want to go anywhere or see anyone or even look at this formum. I was ashamed and felt like a huge hippocrit.

I needed to get back to the basics, start fresh, clean house - inside and out - physically and emotionally -- and well, honestly, literally, too. So here I am working my way through each room in my house, cleaning it top to bottom, ceilling, walls baseboards and floor. Getting rid of the clutter, the unused/untouched/unwanted crap that has been laying around, and asking my self, do I really need this. It has been very productive and theraputic. So I figured that is exactly what my body needs -- a thorough cleaning, an overhaul, a serious look at what it needs to be healthy and happy. I can't partake in the "fix of the day" on the forums, I have followed so many (leptin reset, HFLC, Keto, calorie counting, CICO, IF, Alternate day fasting). I just can't do it and ride those roller coasers, I just have to go back to the basics.

When I started out on this journey, I eleminiated HFCS and sugar first. And then off went the boxed foods, legumes and the wheat. And then, eventually, I eliminated the dairy. I remember the spring I did this and I felt great, really great. It wasn't so much about losing the weight (which did slowly come off), it was about how I actually felt, physically and emotionally. So, here I am, July 5th, going back to those basics. Yesterday I stopped putting HWC in my coffee, snacking on cheese and real tried to listen to my body when it was hungry. The first 2 were easy, the listening part was hard. I mean really hard. I am not sure if I am really hungry or just want some comfort from the food, or thirsty, or what. I ate a lot -- I mean a ton, but it was all, every last morsel, primal/paleo. Am I any worse for wear today? Nope, just not really that hungry right now. This is going to be one of those day by day, hour by hour things for me. I have to make conscience choices of what I eat because my health means that much to me.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    Feeling a bit crappy this morning....a bit of a sore throat and cramps. Quite the combination. But this to shall pass.

Good day yesterday, stayed on track food wise - yippee! Coffee with coconut oil in the morning, nothing else food wise for breakfast, just not hungry. A leftover venison brat with sauerkraut for lunch with some radish slices (fresh from the garden) along with some tazo passion fruit iced tea. Dinner consisted of venison steaks with sauted peppers and onions, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, grilled romain lettuce with balsamic vinegar and bacon and a small bowl of strawberries for dessert.

After dinner hubby and I walked the dog and watched the sunset as it was simply a beautiful evening. Great end tona good day overall. Today has much promise as the menu is planned, grocery shopping already done and ot a ton on the to-do list.

Happy Saturday!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    Quiet morning already and hoping it will be productive, but that will be up to me. No dairy for 3 days. Woot, Woot! Not really missing it and my sinuses are feeling better with less drainage. Yesterday managed to fit in a nice bike ride and cooked/grilled up a slew of BBQ ribs. Leftovers for lunch is the plan and then out to friends for some simple burgers on the grill. The challenge will be to make good food choices as the one guy jokes about my WOE and pretty much pushes the junk because he thinks it is all a big joke. I will just have to stay strong and committed. Plain and simple.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    Still not missing the HWC in my morning cups of coffee. I have noticed that I just don't drink as much coffee without it.

My throat is still a bit scratchy and the glands seem to be slightly swollen...not sure what that is all about.

A day of outside activities planned (read yard work) and pulled pork for dinner. Should be a fantastic day!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    Yesterday did end up to be a great day....very productive. I have not jumped on the scale in a week...an amazing step for me. Not replacing the battery also is helpful . I did, however pull out the tape measure and discovered my waist down 1/2" and I don't feel as bloated. +1
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    Bloat is truly going down as I just did my ring test. I am not very big on wearing any type of jewelry during the summer. I slid my wedding ring on and it fit like a charm. Very easy on and off. Small victory as this was not the case last month. Forgot one again to pick up that silly battery.....just as well, now I do not have to see whatever number shows up on the scale.

I waited two and a half weeks to get an appointment with my hairstylist only to have her not listen to how I wanted my haircut. She spent the entire time complaining about the parking around the salon and her parking ticket she got yesterday because she was parked illegally. From her point of view, it was not her fault, just that we have too many police officers. Unbelieveable. The upshot of all of this is that I have time to find another stylist as my hair grows back out from her butchery.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Being bloated all the time turned out to be caused by dairy in my case. No dairy since March for me and now it is a whole lot easier to tell when a different food causes me to bloat. My sinuses haven't been this clear in 45 years!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast