Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Back 2 Basics page 4

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member

The day after...

What a great day of food, family and football! So many reasons to be thankful.

So now the tough stretch begins .... That time of the year when temptation is around every corner. I am not just talking food that can derail me, but demands on my time that can shift my focus. I need to make a concerted effort to make exercise a priority. Focus, focus, focus on what is truly important...my health.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

B2B
    Thinking that I am going to track my food intake for a bit. Just to make sure that I stay focused. I know that I can get a bit obsessed with this, but I need to keep a tight reign on my food as I know this is a tough time of the year for me.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    So much for my tracking yesterday...did a pretty good job through dinner, but then had a glass of wine and some snacks late in the evening. Nothing to get upset about as today is another day... I just do not have accurate info from yesterday. I feel pretty good and that is what really matters, numbers are just fun for me to look at. Here is to Sunday!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

The very next day....NOT!

OK, so it has been almost a month and a half since I updated my journal. I hate to admit it, but I let pretty much everything get to me and escalate my stress levels. My fault completely. My food choice where well, let's just say not even close to being primal. One slip became another slip, and then another and somewhere the towel just got thrown in. The result of all of is was a 6 pound weight gain and a lot of sitting on my bum (read no exercise what so ever). I also took my measurements on the first of the year and was disappointed to see that some inches had reappeared that i had worked to hard to get rid of. I was feeling completely miserable, yet caught up in my own downward spiral.

Then last Sunday happened, just like they do every 7 days. It is like I finally woke up. I am in control of my choices....they are mine! I made a monster pot of chili so I could have leftovers, planned out the menu for the week making sure there was not anyway poor food choices could trip me up, planned out ways to manage my stress and vowed not to get caught up in the crazy, nonproductive part of work-life.

The result, my mind feels clearer and more focused on the important things, I actually listened to my body and did not end up gorging myself (even on primal foods), and managed to get in a couple of great, therapeutic walks. I feel awesome.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Red face Getting it right???

Still feeling pretty great since last week's post. It is pretty easy to say that with a good, fun week of work behind me and just some great food in the fridge. After my last journal update I went surfing numerous site trying to find inspiration for my meals and I was very successful as the whole family truly enjoyed the menu changes.

I have also scheduled some time to keep up with some of my favorite blogs and forums for inspiration. This helps to keep me on track. I can say that since the revelation last week that I am back to my signature weight. Wahooooo!!!!! I have been intrigued by the January MOAR fat thread. I find it fascinating and the posts very interesting. I had tracked my macros before, but the app that I was using I was not truly fond of and therefore did not track as accurately and often as I think I should have. I did download My Fitness Pal app last Sunday and have been using it every day, multiple times a day so I know that the calories and macros are more accurate than they had been. The other "find" from that thread is that calories do count ... You know, you just can't eat a sh*t ton of primal food and drop some pounds, at least this is my experience, my n=1. So the end result of all of this is that those 6 pounds are gone and not welcome back AND I did it with keeping my macros at 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs. I feel wonderful, I am not craving chocolate and other carbs and I am sticking to the foods I know make my body happy and productive all day long. My sleep is also wonderful as I wake very refreshed.

So, today's next step is my week-long menu planning, grocery shopping and for sure cooking up a huge pot of some delicious soup. Nothing attacks the winter blahs like soup!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    Mid-week post.....kind of on the crazy side for me! But just got caught up in the I dropped some pounds last week and the scale hasn't budged for a couple of days. Silly choice on my end to hop on. I can sometimes get caught up in the numbers and did not want that to affect my mood. The last time I did any measurements was Dec. 31st, so I pulled out the old tape measure and took my waist and hip measurements. This put a smile on my face, down 1-1/4 inches on my hips and another inch off my waist. I was not going to officially do measurements until Jan.31st, so this was just a quick snapshot, just to make sure I am keeping on track.

Here's to a great day!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    I woke up early this morning for no particular reason...just must have had enough sleep . This meant that I had extra time to read through the forum and other blogs pretty thoroughly. I also looked at the trends with my weight over the past year. Since this same time last year, I have lost and gained and lost again the same 13 pounds. Kind of crazy, but I can see where my cheats have really affected me over time. Since the 13 of January I have been pretty diligent looking at what I eat, tracking it and listening to my body is telling me. I feel that the path I am on is only going to lead to success. On the 31st I plan on taking my official measurements...right now I can hardly wait because I know that there will be some changes in the positive direction....down!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    I could not wait until the 31st to take measurements...I felt like the proverbial kid in the candy store. The scale reads a 7.5 weight loss and the tape measure was shortened by 3 overall inches. I am just giddy right now. I have not seen this in a long time and it is my motivation to keep tracking my macros and stay focused on the goal....being healthy!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Kitchen chemistry

I spent yesterday doing the usual Saturday tasks: laundry, cleaning, menu planning, grocery shopping and hanging out with the boys. I do really love the weekends! Anyway, I have been making the broccoli cheese soup I found posted in the low carb recipe group and having it for lunches during the week. I started thinking that some cauliflower would be a nice addition and then my thoughts meandered towards bacon and chicken. So I experimented yesterday with some pretty awesome results IMO.

The foundation of this soup was from the posting by demuralist...thanks for the inspiration...

I cooked 3 slices of bacon in a large pot, removed when crispy and left the bacon grease in and then added 12 ounces of cut up chicken thighs with 1/3 cup onions and sautéed until done. Then dumped in 6 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups each of fresh broccoli and cauliflower. While that cooked in a separate pan, I made the cheese sauce which was 1TBSP butter, 1 block of cream cheese, 1 cup of HWC and 8 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Once this was melted, I added it into the other pot. S and P to taste.

Yumm-ola!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Congrats on your reduced measurements! It is always nice to hear about people getting healthier. My mouth is watering at your recipe, I think I am going to have to try it this week, thanks for posting it!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast