Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Back 2 Basics page 3

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It was a conquer and divide Saturday. I checked off nearly everything on my to-do list yesterday and still and time and energy to burn. Today it is back to school to prep for the week while the boys hit the dirt bike track...fun for all . Here's to hoping that today's productivity matches or exceeds yesterday's.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

B2B

Bread and Muffins

Yup, energy And productivity picking up where it left off yesterday...well at least in the kitchen. Decided to try some primal bread this morning. I looked at the Fat Bread people have been posting about. I had all of the ingredients except the raw macadamias ...bummer. I wasn't sure if raw cashews would work as a substitution. Perhaps I will search for that answer. I did, however, have all of the necessary ingredients for this (» Grain-free Sandwich Bread (Paleo and SCD) Against All Grain) grain free bread from the Against All Grains blog. It smells yummy, can't wait for it to cool!

That bread recipe calls for 1/4 cup of almond milk and I just happened to have 1/2 cup frozen. (I only use the almond milk for baking, so I froze the remaining and once unfroze, pop it into the blender and it works marvelously.) With the remaining almond milk, I made DS his favorite banana chocolate chip muffins minus the streusel topping, » Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chip Streusel Topping Against All Grain , from the same blog.

Hubby walked through the kitchen smiling grabbing his second cup of coffee and asked me if cavewomen had kitchenaid mixers. Without missing a beat, I let him know that they did not have coffee makers either. HA!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Going to figure out me

Started thinking that I am going to need to track my macros for a bit. Just want to see where I am, for analysis sake. I think I have been spending too much time reading the forum posts and loving it! Just gotta remember that everyone is different and everyone's body responds differently.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Weekend Update

The week flew by once again...sometimes I think I meet myself coming and going! Crazy, but lovin' it. Couple late nights @ work this week with parents' night, individual meetings, school and of course, the endless grading of papers. That's just work, then add in 2 soccer games this week and law class on Thursdays...TGIF. Enough of the "woe is me, I am too busy" dribble...we all are.

So this past week I have been keeping an eye on my macros, my carbs are usually pretty low, so it has been the fat and the protein that I have been watching. I have been trying to increase the fat and reduce the protein a bit to see what happens..tweaking...not going crazy or anything here. The increase of fat has kept my hunger at bay longer. I don't feel as if I have to eat right after school @ 3:30 or I will die! That is definitely a good thing, I can wait until dinner time @ 6:30 without snacking. So there is a positive for the week.

I have also been trying to get in a fast once a week, again just to see what happens. I had been stalled for such a long time and then put back on some poundage over the summer just because I was not paying that close attention to what I was eating, when I was eating and how often it happened. I am not near my goal weight, so vigilance is going to be a necessity. This is my 3 week of trying to incorporate a longer fast. The first 2 weeks they ended up being 48 hours. I was pretty pleased and did not feel like crap after I finished, nor did I overeat after them. That was a problem for me in the past when I tried to fast and then I only managed 24 hours. This past week I fasted for 64 hours. I go in with the mindset that if I need to break the fast because I am not feeling right that will be OK. I also have something ready just in case...my back up plan. Now I do drink some coffee with heaving whipping cream in the mornings and most days have a cup of beef broth. I know some of the purists on the forums would say that this is not fasting, that water only is a fast, but this works for me and I am the one that has to live with myself and my choices of food/ drink.

So for this next week, I think I will keep an eye on those fat/protein macros, try another fast if it works into the schedule (just not sure how long) and see where this all takes me. I do know that I have to change my signature line as I am down 5.5 pounds already this month, but I think I will wait until October 1st.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Whole 30 for October?

I was just reading the new "who's in for a whole 30 in October" thread. With the exception of the bit of dairy that I eat and the occasional "paleo-fying" that happens, I think I get pretty close to the whole 30 principles. What intrigued me most about this come aboard post was the link with exercise and that is something I have got to do on a more consistent basis. My exercise comes and goes like the wind sometimes. I will put it on a back burner because "life" gets in the way and I think I don't have time. I know I have the time, it is just how I prioritize my time....and exercise has got to become a priority for me.

So, I think I am in. I will add in the exercise, avoid paleo-fying for the month, cut back on the dairy. Not sure I can totally eliminate for the month, but in reality the only dairy I consume is heavy cream in my coffee, butter and some cheese. I could clarify the butter, avoid the cheese, but I am not sure the heavy cream will disappear. I went totally dairy free for several months a while back and have not had any real problems introducing those three things back. But I try and cut back on the cream for the 30....I know it won't kill me.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Almost one month later....

Holy buckets, where did this month go!?!? It was not my intention to stay away from the boards this long, but I guess life just happened as demands for my time increased. My outside commitments seemed to have taken over....priorities, priorities, priorities.....

I did manage to increase my activity/exercise time since the beginning of the month which was part of doing the whole 30. I also didn't think it would happen, but I just stopped buying the HWC for my coffee as I don't really need it or want it anymore. So now it is back to black with a tad bit of coconut oil in my first cup.

I think it is always good to look closely at what you are doing and tweak from there based on goals. That is what this month has been about for me.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Smile Thinking Thanksgiving...

Turkey day is just around the corner and I need to start planning. Willpower will be key for me and having lots of primal options as my husbands family always comes to dinner and expect the traditional meal with all of the fixings...it is tradition, after all.

So here are my thought:
    *turkey and ham...no problem
    *green bean casserole...I was going to make my own cream of mushroom soup (Against All Grains recipe) but then there are those silly dried onions, not sure I want those. I think I will make a batchof this for them and roast some brusselsprouts with bacon for me
    *mashed potatoes...for them, I will also do mashed cauliflower for me. Gotta stay away from the dairy. I buy the gravy for the in-laws as my husband and son won't touch the stuff.
    *squash...we all love
    *corn... I froze a bunch this summer for the boys and I stay away normally, so no challenge there
    *stuffing, which I absolutely love and the one thing that will call upon all of my available willpower, will not have a substitute, I will just have more brussel sprouts (she says now).
    *cranberries...have always made my own sauce, so now I will search high and low to find a way to incorporate cranberries without the sugar. Not a big deal for the rest of the family as my MIL and I are the only ones who eat this and she is always ready for something new
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Thinking Thanksgiving 2

Yesterday I posted about the food and as I look over the list I realized that some how I missed the real importance of this day. It is not about all the food, but the family time and everything we should be thankful in our lives. Food will be food and I will make choices each and every day...both good and bad....

I am thankful for my family and friends....especially my wonderful and supportive husband and our ever challenging teenage son.

I am thankful for the little things that make my day...that smile, those kind words, that pat on the back and that great laugh.

I am thankful that I have a wonderful job and do love it each and everyday...challenges included.

And I am thankful for finding this WOE and community as I am no longer above my 9 month pregnancy weight...especially since my baby will be 15 this week!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B
    Just finished my shopping for the week. As I was in the check out this guy looks at my veggies and say, "dang those brussel sprouts look good." My thoughts exactly!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

B2B

Happy Monday!

Yup, I am not afraid to say it, but I like Mondays. It is a fresh start to the week...both on the work front and at home. Any stumbling blocks that came up last week at work or at home over the weekend can be tweaked today. I guess my glass is half full, but I think attitude is everything. I can tackle anything today and the icing on the cake is that it is leftovers for dinner tonight!! I made spaghetti last night using spaghetti squash for noodles. I had never done this before and I must admit that I should have done it sooner...loved it!

Have a great day!
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast