Thread: JL22's Primal Journal page

JL22 is offline Junior Member

JL22's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Been reading about the Primal lifestyle for a while now and I'm really interested in it. Got my copy of the primal blueprint today so I figured it was about time I made myself a journal on here too.

I'm a 19 year old guy, 5'11 and around 194lbs at 18.5% body fat.

My 1RM's are around the following:

Squat - 90kg
    Deadlift - 100kg
    Bench - 60kg
    Overhead Press - 40kg

I aim to follow the following weight routine for my weights workouts in the gym (aiming for 2 per week in line with PBF, but I certainly won't stop myself doing more if I feel like it).

Workout A:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Pullups (Assisted at first) 3xFailure

Workout B:
    Deadlift 3x5
    Barbell Press 3x5
    Pullups 3xFailure

I changed my routine from starting strength because I genuinely cant facilitate squatting twice a week on a deficit, just isn't happening I'm afraid.

I'm interested in dropping a bit of body fat initially and then gaining muscle and strength from there. I'm really into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and that sort of thing, and I'd like to be in a position where i can be fit and healthy for that. I've been a member of a gym for around the last 3 or so years and haven't really achieved much as my motivation has never been up to scratch. However recent IBS type problems keep occurring whenever I eat junk food and it makes me feel bloated and horrible, so I'm reading this as a warning sign that I have to change my ways now before I end up in deep water!

I've never been good at just jumping into diets as such, so I plan on working my way in slowly, cutting out crappy food in the first week or two, grains and bread after.

And hopefully I can stick to it at least 80% of the time! Enjoy folks!
    Last edited by JL22; 09-03-2012 at 03:31 AM.

So yesterday it was miserable outside, and my motivation was pretty low, but I decided to make myself go to the gym and at least do something. So I went in to test my 1RM for Power Cleans as I'd estimated at 45kg.

Pleasantly surprised to find I could lift 52.5kg! I've never really power cleaned before except that initial clean to get the barbell in position for pressing, so I was pleased with myself. I tried 55 and failed though, so it was either an insufficient rest before that attempt, or down to my poor form. I can't quite seem to get that jump that most power cleaners do, instead just raising up on my toes at the top of the lift so I'm going to try and fix that.

All in all was a good day, highlighted one of my MAJOR primal problems though: I eat FAR too much bread! That's going to have to stop, or at least be cut back on. But regardless, a good day. Now I've got all my 1RM's for definite I can start slotting them in to the Starting Strength spreadsheet and find out my weights for the coming weeks.

So this morning I took my body fat measurement, and it revealed what I thought was about right for me.

Today it measured at 18.54%, but obviously this could change depending on how well I actually did the measurements, but 18% seems about right for me. Obviously a bit disheartened to see that I have 30+ lbs of body fat hanging off me, but it's certainly motivating enough to get me started.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome JL22: Are you male or female? Welcome to Paleo --- you'll find a big difference just cutting the crap, the wheat and the sugar. Best of luck and let us know how you make out.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Welcome JL22: Are you male or female? Welcome to Paleo --- you'll find a big difference just cutting the crap, the wheat and the sugar. Best of luck and let us know how you make out.
    Oops! I'm male haha. Knew I would forget to write something down. Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to it

Might as well start logging my food on here, something I've been meaning to do but haven't yet started doing.

Tuesday 28th August

Breakfast:

2 Venison Sausages
    1 Venison Burger
    Baked beans

Snack

2 slices of toast w/ plenty peanut butter

Lunch
    Tesco Southern Fried Chicken Pieces

That's what I've had so far today, it hasn't been too bad except for the toast. Spent about 3 hours today painting walls at the charity I volunteer at so I reckon I've at least burned a few calories today.

Dinner will be:
    Birdseye Crispy Chicken (Forgot to take the turkey breast out of the freezer this morning! )
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Chartenay Carrots (Roasted in olive oil with a bit of butter, mmm.)
    Gravy

Only problem is I've drank a lot of fruit juice today which is a bit crap, but at least I've done a little bit of hard work. First SS workout tomorrow, can't wait!
    Last edited by JL22; 08-28-2012 at 12:42 PM.