Thread: Dealing with autoimmune disease page

AussieNana is offline Member

Dealing with autoimmune disease

Can anyone link me to threads on dealing with auto-immune disease?

I've been doing all the usual things to deal with my various conditions but there is obviously something still wrong because I still keep getting flares when I increase my exercise levels. Is there a thread where people discuss what they have done, what has worked and what hasn't worked?

Please assume that I'm strict paleo and that I've dealt with all my psycho-social-spiritual issues, do meditation, etc.

Wildwoods is offline Junior Member
    Have you looked into you gut flora?
    I am combining Primal eating with the GAPS approach of excellent probiotics, plus fermented foods such as saurkraut and kefir- these have made a huge difference to me. I think that if we have a weak gut flora then no matter what food we eat the system just cannot extract what is needed, and the immune system TOTALLY depends upon the correct gut flora to function.

Did you ever have antibiotics? The Pill? Any trauma? Other drugs? All of which can wipe out the gut flora.

My autoimmune issues are vastly improved after just a few weeks since I made this a priority issue!

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    You can use the search function to find some older threads. I think there are various ones out there. I'd search both "autoimmune" and "hashimoto's". Not sure what type of autoimmune disorder you're up against.

I concur with Wildwoods on addressing gut flora. GAPS is one approach. Another approach that worked for me with the help of my chiropractor was one thru Dr. K. New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS using a GAPS-like diet and a supplementation protocol through Apex Energetics.

I also had a gluten crossreactivity test done through Cyrex labs which proved to be quite useful for me. It tests various gluten, dairy and non-gluten substances that might act like gluten on your body. For me, I reacted horribly to tapioca -- the main ingredient in most commercial gluten-free products and a seemingly safe starch.

In general, if you don't want to go through a structured program, stick to strict Paleo -- and focus in on fermented foods (kraut, kombucha, etc) and bone broths. Get plenty of sun.

One more part to balancing the immune system in addition to restoring gut flora is to try to understand which part of your immune system dominates. I'm TH2 dominant, which means substances like coffee/caffeine, chocolate, red wine, etc tend to suppress my immune system even further. I'm balanced now, so I'm drinking a cup of coffee as we speak. But every-so-often I have to lay off when I feel symptoms starting to kick in again.

Basics of immune balancing for Hashimoto’s

Hope this helps and good luck!

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Testing for SIBO, Graves Disease, and all about Anemia
    I was listening to this podcast yesterday by Chris Kresser and he touched on auto-immune and using LDN.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Read this ThePaleoMom: Modifying Paleo for Autoimmune Conditions (i.e., The Autoimmune Protocol). and this ThePaleoMom: Modifying Paleo to Treat Psoriasis. Read her story, it's amazing how many things eating this way has cured her from. I have psoriasis, and have just begun following this to begin healing. (:

AussieNana is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, everyone. I've started looking at the various threads and your recommendations. I'll comment when I've read a bit more.

@kkratz57 - I'll have to find out more about this TH2 dominance. I was wondering if the dark chocolate was a problem.