Thread: Lamb Bones page

KimNKY is offline Member

Question Lamb Bones

I have 3 small lamb chops (probably 6 ounces of meat total), and am wondering if I can do anything with the bones. I cooked them in a cast iron pan on the stove. I usually save up chicken bones, but fill a gallon freezer bag before I make stock.

Is it worth trying to make a little bit of broth from 3 lamb chop bones?
    Last edited by KimNKY; 08-23-2012 at 07:45 PM.

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    Sure it is, just make a small batch and add some: black pepper, cinnamon, bay leaves, onion, carrot, fennel and salt. Put them in a slow-cooker for about 24hrs and you'll have every bit of taste and nutrients from them.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Just use a small pot and make soup from it one night. Adding onions, carrots, celery, and fresh herbs makes it delicious. One thing I made with lamb broth recently was avocado soup. I heated up the broth and put it in the blender with one ripe avocado and two egg yolks (and salt!). So so so very good.

KimNKY is offline Member
    Thanks for the advice! I ended up making broth with the lamb bones, onion skins, carrot and celery ends, and a little piece of cinnamon stick. Then I picked the leftover meat off and cooked the meat and broth with carrots, onions, kale, garlic, and rosemary, and used powdered dehydrated mushrooms and eggplant to thicken it up like a stew. It was delicious and made about 3 servings!

I was surprised at how much I liked the lamb- I recently started eating primal after years of being vegetarian, and was mostly eating chicken, salmon, and beef/bison steak. Lamb might be my gateway into other types of meat. Today I was feeling adventurous and picked up a piece of beef shank!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    lamb is one of my big faves. you can also just store bones in the freezer til you have a bigger batch.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway