Thread: Essential Primal Movements Progression page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Question Essential Primal Movements Progression

Shop Now
    How many of you PB-ers have actually followed the PB Fitness E-Book's "Essential Movements Progression"?

I just did the assessment and I'm curious about where any of you stared on each movement and how you did as you tried progressing to the next level of each. For me...

Pull-Ups :: Starting at Level 1 (I can do exactly zero pull-ups)
    Push-Ups :: Starting at Level 1 (I did a pretty pitiful one push-up)
    Squats :: Starting at Level 3 (I did 43 squats)
    Planks :: Starting at Level 4 (I held the forearm plank for 95 seconds)

Anyone? Beuller?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    How many of you PB-ers have actually followed the PB Fitness E-Book's "Essential Movements Progression"?

I just did the assessment and I'm curious about where any of you stared on each movement and how you did as you tried progressing to the next level of each. For me...

Pull-Ups :: Starting at Level 1 (I can do exactly zero pull-ups)
    Push-Ups :: Starting at Level 1 (I did a pretty pitiful one push-up)
    Squats :: Starting at Level 3 (I did 43 squats)
    Planks :: Starting at Level 4 (I held the forearm plank for 95 seconds)

Anyone? Beuller?
    Just curious - did you start at Level 1 and work your way up to those numbers for squats and planks? Or did you figure that's just where you needed to start?

Also, are you saying that you could only do one wall pushup? Did you mean to say you were working on a different level?

And even with 2 feet on a chair, pullups can be very challenging. If you aren't at a gym, but do have access to a pullup bar of some kind, and wanted to make serious progress with pullups, I would suggest something like Lifeline USA's Pullup Revolution (I have no affiliation with them - but we have one at my house - at one point, my wife's use of it got her to the point of doing two real, full pullups).

I haven't done the PBF fit-test yet. After I finished P90x, on Marks' scale, I could do 41 pushups and 13 pullups. But had no test for plank or squats. Right now, I'm following a different protocol, but I plan to take a week off from that next week and do Mark's test.

I'll let you know how I do!

There's an assessment that you're supposed to do (page 50-51 explains it). You start at the "primal ideal" or whatever Mark calls it... for Pull-Ups it's just regular pull-ups, Push-ups are the regular ones, too. For the Squats you do real, ass-below-knees with knees-staying-behind-feet style, and for planks you do elbow-toes planks. So, no, you don't start at level 1 for the assessment - you start at the "ideal".

Depending on how many (or how much time, for the planks) you accomplish, you start the progression at a specific level (which is what I put in my original post).

amerikian is offline Junior Member
    Wuzzup! I did my self assessment on 8/2. Based on that I'm doing:

Incline Pushups
    Chair-Assisted Pullups - 1 leg
    Bench Squats
    Hand/Feet Plank + Side

I started doing these just one day a week. For the last two weeks I've been doing it twice a week (M & F). Sprints on Wednesday.

I am able to do 7 pullups now with more "explosiveness", pushups are also more explosive. I still fatigue when doing the full 50 reps, so I am going to stick out where I am for probably another week. I'm not quite sure when to progress either, but I'm already seeing gains. According to PDF, when you think you can progress, keep doing your current routine for another week - two.

I could probably move up in pushups and pullups, but I'm gonna wait it out. I'll still do pushups and pullups on non Strength days but more to see where I'm at.
    SW (207lbs) 8/1/2012
    CW (188lbs)
    Primal Since 8/1/2102

Bike commute to work 20 miles/day ~ rain, shine, or snow.

There's an assessment that you're supposed to do (page 50-51 explains it). You start at the "primal ideal" or whatever Mark calls it... for Pull-Ups it's just regular pull-ups, Push-ups are the regular ones, too. For the Squats you do real, ass-below-knees with knees-staying-behind-feet style, and for planks you do elbow-toes planks. So, no, you don't start at level 1 for the assessment - you start at the "ideal".

Depending on how many (or how much time, for the planks) you accomplish, you start the progression at a specific level (which is what I put in my original post).
    Okay - thanks for clarifying that! I was trying to look at the Fitness guide on my phone at the same time - so I missed the part about how the test is taken.

That's why I thought it was odd that you couldn't do one wall pushup!!! (insert humored emoticon here!)

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Yeh When I started I had come from weights background but wanted to focus on bodyweight movements to avoid agrevating old rugby injuries (years of weights were niggling shoulders etc to).
    I was at:
    Pushups = 55
    Pullups = 20
    Squats = 200 Years of heavy squatting helps
    Plank = 120 seconds

To save boring you with numbers etc, Im now on decline (feet elevated) Pushups. Its supposed to be a target of 2 x 35 reps. But I didnt know that (forgot to check) and last session I got 1 x 50, 1 x 42. So im gonna keep going until I get 2 x 50.
    Pullups I Just completed the 2 x 6 each side uneve pullups. So its dynamic pullups for me on Monday.
    I just completed the one legged rear foot elevated squats to.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Yeh When I started I had come from weights background but wanted to focus on bodyweight movements to avoid agrevating old rugby injuries (years of weights were niggling shoulders etc to).
    I was at:
    Pushups = 55
    Pullups = 20
    Squats = 200 Years of heavy squatting helps
    Plank = 120 seconds

To save boring you with numbers etc, Im now on decline (feet elevated) Pushups. Its supposed to be a target of 2 x 35 reps. But I didnt know that (forgot to check) and last session I got 1 x 50, 1 x 42. So im gonna keep going until I get 2 x 50.
    Pullups I Just completed the 2 x 6 each side uneve pullups. So its dynamic pullups for me on Monday.
    I just completed the one legged rear foot elevated squats to.

Richard
    Wow, awesome! How long did it take you from when you did the assessment until now?

Quote Originally Posted by amerikian View Post
    Wuzzup! I did my self assessment on 8/2. Based on that I'm doing:

Incline Pushups
    Chair-Assisted Pullups - 1 leg
    Bench Squats
    Hand/Feet Plank + Side

I started doing these just one day a week. For the last two weeks I've been doing it twice a week (M & F). Sprints on Wednesday.

I am able to do 7 pullups now with more "explosiveness", pushups are also more explosive. I still fatigue when doing the full 50 reps, so I am going to stick out where I am for probably another week. I'm not quite sure when to progress either, but I'm already seeing gains. According to PDF, when you think you can progress, keep doing your current routine for another week - two.

I could probably move up in pushups and pullups, but I'm gonna wait it out. I'll still do pushups and pullups on non Strength days but more to see where I'm at.
    Thanks for the info. That's pretty impressive that you are feeling a change already after just three weeks. I'm hoping to get to the point of being able to do even five real push-ups... and my dream is to do a single pull-up. Now I feel like I can get there!!

a-ray is offline Member
    Look into doing the SimpleFit program, it really works well and will definitely help you progress.

For getting better at pull-ups, check out Al Kavadlo's site (Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! | We're Working Out!). IMO he is the master at pull-ups.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Wow, awesome! How long did it take you from when you did the assessment until now?
    Eh about 4 weeks. Although saying that I was following a Navy Seal programme (based around Pressups and Pullups) that I actually stopped mid way through to do this. + I am a pt. Im trying to focus more on Mobility and Nutrition with my clients, as well as advocating the benefits of bodyweight exercise when done properly. So to do that I thought I better practice what I preach haha.

Any questions, i'd be happy to answer.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.