Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal giving me an eating disorder page

Issabeau is offline Senior Member

Primal giving me an eating disorder

Primal Fuel
    I think after 2.5 years of eating mostly primal foods, it is finally taking a toll on me. I am cheating more and more, resulting back in weight gain, which makes me hate my body and I feel aweful after eating ANYTHING.

I am so limited on breakfasts (sorry, having bacon and eggs or warm steak or salad for breakfast was only fun at the start), and without my raw milk I tend to raid the kitchen even more.
    I cut out milk completely last year for about 7 months and it resulted in a quick weight loss of 10 lbs but then a whopping weight gain of 15 lbs because my body slowed down it's metabolism and I raided the kitchen for carbs, which resulted in eating a ton of pumpkin fried in butter. I just can't go low carb, it back fires shortly after.
    The more I think about how I can't have something because it raises insulin or it ruins my teeth, the worse the cravings get for food because that is what I constantly think about, from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to bed.
    Gosh dang it, I just want to be free from this food obsession, primal this, pirmal that. After 2.5 years I am finally completely mentally insane from it.
    It was much easier to just have all the CW foods in the house and just say 'no', than it is to have these primal foods here and constantly thinking about nutrition and bone health and whatnot.
    Learning about nutrition and caveman foods was good and probably saved me a ton of medical bills in the near future, but it sure isn't doing much for my mental health, when I'm obsessing about what I can and cannot eat and what is more nutritious, and wondering at which point of IF my bones will suffer so I never go beyond 18 hours, even though I'm still not even hungry.

And it doesn't help that REAL food comes in such large amounts that I have to eat large amounts to make it be gone or it'll rot. I can't just buy 2 leaves of Mustard Greens, NO I have to buy a huge bundle and then stash it somewhere alongside the walls in the fridge...

I am sick of food, sick of eating, yet I can't stop, I just wish food would leave me alone...LOL

Surely you guys probably think I'm a nutcase, I don't blame anyone, go ahead and flame away I deserve it.
    Someone f*dging slap me.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    sorry to hear you're going through this.

ditch grains and industrial oils. not carbs!

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    sorry to hear you're going through this.

ditch grains and industrial oils. not carbs!
    Well I did that 2.5 years ago, not helping.
    I still raid everything in sight the minute I get bored and have nothing else to think about but food.

otzi Guest
    Only you have control over you. It sounds to me like you have hormonal issues that are preventing you from feeling full. A semi-implemented primal diet is in some ways worse that SAD. At least in the SAD you are getting vitamin enriched food and drink, which is the only thing keeping most americans from getting scurvy and rickets. When you ditch these, you definitely need to think about nutrients...I like to think of food in terms of the nutrition it provides and not the calories or macros contained in it. You need ample bone broth, seafood, offal, etc.. to get your nutrition when forgoing SAD enriched foods.

If your hormones, gut flora, and metabolism are not operating efficiently you will not see the rewards of a paleo diet. I would recommend, if you haven't, getting a full bloodwork done, including vitamin panel, thyroid, sex hormones, and all the other stuff they check. Get your labs in the upper quarter of normal ranges and you will be unstoppable.

That said, food is only a small portion of primal/paleo living. Do you watch TV or surf the net long after sundown? Do you exercise in a way recommended by Mark Sisson and other paleo authors? Do you get plenty of sleep? Are you under a lot of stress? Do you experience cold when seasonally appropriate in your area?

Just some food for thought...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    Well I did that 2.5 years ago, not helping.
    I still raid everything in sight the minute I get bored and have nothing else to think about but food.
    You need a hobby. Perhaps several. Just remember Primal didn't "give" or "take" anything from you. All you have is the next decision you make. Will it be one that promotes health and homeostasis or not? Much of it is simply brain rewiring. The brain must have its dopamine. It doesn't matter if you get it from good behavior or bad (least not to your brain), so train it to get it from the good.

Oh, and just go back to basics for a start. Reread the PB with fresh eyes and just do that.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Stupid, small little tip from me... I have this same problem, wanting to eat everything in sight out of boredom. If you've recently eaten, have a glass of water. If you are craving, have a glass of water. Just try it, makes a world of difference for me. Also, the very low carb thing is not for everyone. Try keeping your carbs around 100g a day and see if you feel satisfied and still losing weight. Tinker around until you find *your* sweet spot.
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    "The more I think about how I can't have something because it raises insulin or it ruins my teeth, the worse the cravings get for food because that is what I constantly think about, from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to bed. "
    Perhaps change the perspective from 'what you say no to' to 'what you say yes to'?

We buy what I consider to be an enormous amount of fruit and veges each week. Currently the kids can go and 'graze' any time they want on:
    Nuts (cashews, pistachios, brazil)
    Fruit (Mandarins, oranges, apples, bananas, kiwis, pears)
    Veges (Carrots)
    Meat (Beef Jerky)
    Dairy (Raw milk, cheese)

My wife usually has either a scrambled egg or some steamed/stir fried veges (broccoli/cauliflower/mushrooms) for her breakfast/lunch, or shares what she gets for the kids.

"I am so limited on breakfasts (sorry, having bacon and eggs or warm steak or salad for breakfast was only fun at the start), and without my raw milk I tend to raid the kitchen even more. "
    There is absolutely no reason for breakfast to be composed of just those things. We typically make breakfast a fry-up (bacon, sausage, liver, eggs, mushis, broccoli, kale, onions) or a stir fry, or reheated leftovers from the night before, or microwaved scrambled eggs with cream and butter. Breakfast is just another meal.

"I'm obsessing about what I can and cannot eat and what is more nutritious, and wondering at which point of IF my bones will suffer so I never go beyond 18 hours, even though I'm still not even hungry."
    So you're fasting at the same time? Maybe if you are going insane about food you should stop fasting. If you are a woman your fasting window should max out at about 14 hours, too.

"And it doesn't help that REAL food comes in such large amounts that I have to eat large amounts to make it be gone or it'll rot."
    I hear ya. We have the same problem, and not just with veges (we get affordable grass fed beef by the cow, which necessitates another chest feezer). One thing we do is cook up double or even triple meals, and then freeze the redundant copies, which you can get out a subsequent week or whenever you are feeling unmotivated.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ennaejay is offline Member
    Cravings are real, and sometimes it's good to give in, while other times it's good to wait it out.

In my experience, when I start the day with yogurt/fruit, squash, or a "carby" almond-flour muffin sweetened with honey, I get massive carb cravings ALL DAY LONG and could eat, eat, eat, eat like a teenage boy and never feel satisfied - meanwhile my guts are miserable and I pay for it the next 24 hrs.

It helps me to write down what I want to eat, and then make a choice to eat it when it makes sense. A lot of times I fast through breakfast, train around lunch and then have a HUGE meal of as many veggies and protein/fat I can fit on my plate. Then I'll have my carbs, after my tank is pretty full. It satisfies the craving, but I'm not tempted to overeat, and I don't get the insulin surge/crash like I would if I'd have eaten all the sweets on an empty stomach.

Today I ate once. It took me 1.5 hours to eat everything. I had a 3-egg omelette with 2 oz raw sharp cheddar, served over a bed of sauteed veggies (1 red pepper, 1 onion, 4 leaves torn kale, raw garlic, half an heirloom tomato, 1 c. mushrooms). It was beautiful, colorful, crisp, gooey, salty, spicy, wonderful. I was satisfied, but I've been really tired of looking at my sons' bowls of yogurt, bananas, almond butter, raspberries, nuts, etc..... So I made a massive dessert with all that stuff (I think there was apple in there too), even had seconds, and topped it off with a muffin I stole from the freezer and topped THAT with butter (tasted like frozen cake, omg).

I won't eat till tomorrow around the same time, most likely, but it's flexible.

It sounds to me you love food. You're a little tired of the preoccupation, but that happens when we deprive ourselves (or FEEL deprived) and aren't focusing on what we CAN have or how good it will make us feel. Give your tummy a break, fast a little, skip a meal or two (or several), when you feel cooled off, have a personal contest with yourself to see how many veggies you can eat. When your meat/fat/veg quota is pretty full for the day, eat the damn carbs! Primal isn't about never eating treats again.

Your weight gain might be coming from stress just as much as your "cheats", or retaining water (that can seriously be like 8lbs, I kid you not).

Use your passion for food and turn it into something positive. Find some new recipes, get creative, find ways to eat the foods you love in the proper context, proper serving, and write down how you feel like before/after you eat it. Eat slowly, chew well, savor what you're eating, don't just hork it down. Mindfulness and gratefulness while eating will go a long way.

I've struggled with food in the past and still it rears its ugly head, the under-the-surface ED. Hang in there and don't give up. Eat clean, let yesterday go, don't stress about tomorrow -- make a choice today to do something that'll make you feel good about yourself.

Perhaps limit your milk consumption to 1 c. a day, and then do it before bedtime as a treat, a "carby" treat, with a piece of fruit, if you're worried that's a problem. I could eat my homemade yogurt all day long but I start feeling really shitty if I don't get enough meat, good fats, vegetables, eggs, cheese, or fruit. Just have to be careful WHEN I eat them, and how much. I still eat them... and you should too.

Be patient with yourself, start new tomorrow, sometimes the relationship with food don't come easy. As with any relationship (sorry if this sounds weird), it takes effort. {{{HTH}}}
    Last edited by ennaejay; 08-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    dude I wish I could say something encouraging...but I feel ya pain. Low Carb has my appetite under control but I am just one of those people that will think constantly about food.
    (hugs)

ennaejay is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    Stupid, small little tip from me... I have this same problem, wanting to eat everything in sight out of boredom. If you've recently eaten, have a glass of water. If you are craving, have a glass of water. Just try it, makes a world of difference for me. Also, the very low carb thing is not for everyone. Try keeping your carbs around 100g a day and see if you feel satisfied and still losing weight. Tinker around until you find *your* sweet spot.
    Not stupid, not small. I find this helps me too. Good advice.

Also, eating while bored/stressed/emotionally upset is always a poor choice in my experience

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast