Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Primal giving me an eating disorder page 5

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I never realized the extent or seriousness of eating or food emotional disorders until I joined this site....pretty serious business. I couldn't care less what I eat or don't eat -- it's completely unemotional for me. If I eat -- I eat. If I don't eat -- I don't eat --- it's unemotional for me. I read post to post to post and think seriously that, despite the fact that I'm Paleo -- I really don't belong here. Sometimes, I'm completely exhausted from reading these posts -- I feel empathy but I cannot understand as I don't walk in your shoes. All the power to each of you.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Ya, Louisa655... it's powerful and terrible. You are blessed to never have dealt with it. It sucks the life out you.

Nycea Pacific, you are the best!

Nycea Pacific is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I never realized the extent or seriousness of eating or food emotional disorders until I joined this site....pretty serious business. I couldn't care less what I eat or don't eat -- it's completely unemotional for me. If I eat -- I eat. If I don't eat -- I don't eat --- it's unemotional for me. I read post to post to post and think seriously that, despite the fact that I'm Paleo -- I really don't belong here. Sometimes, I'm completely exhausted from reading these posts -- I feel empathy but I cannot understand as I don't walk in your shoes. All the power to each of you.
    Speculation time, and caveat- I am not a doctor or any kind of expert and I don't even play one on tv.

I suspect from a lot of daily observation of lots of different types of people... that you just don't have the biochemical vulnerabilities that people with these problems have. Your brain is on a completely different planet. Though, my brain and body are also on a totally different planet from, say, the strung-out addict who I just walked by downtown (and am essentially powerless to help out.) I don't have a brain and body that had that kind of destructive reaction to alcohol or to opiates, even. I've been given morphine in medical settings. Doctors were pleasantly surprised that I just... had no addiction issues with it at all. Nothing.

Biochemistry is individual and because it's invisible, I guess it's very mysterious why that poor gal on the street fell into a biochemical hole of serious addiction, and I've never finished a prescription for a painkiller in my life. I just don't care/need/want them.

Weird, huh?

Anyway, I wouldn't feel like you don't belong here. Primal's good for a lot of stuff, you don't need to have this particular biochemical vulnerability that makes your brain overreact to food. It's good not to have problems, lol. And even the people here who DO have this particular problem... well, there's a whole universe of awful diseases out there that they too, even though this problem sucks monumentally, do NOT have.

If you actually are interested/care enough to bother googling, look up what happened to Michael Hutchence sometime. Take particular note of how he did mounds of heroin and cocaine prior to a motorcycle accident that literally damaged the biochemical balance of his brain. And how he just... never got addicted. And then after? Almost immediately he turned into a severe alcoholic, he fell into a deep depression, and yeah, the rest isn't a happy story. But it was sure a real object lesson, imo anyway, on how biochemistry drives one's vulnerability to various substances.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Nycea Pacific: Thanks for your post: Learned something here. I really don't know much about biochemistry but wonder how much of this is environment vs chemistry. You know, if something traumatic happens to a child, and the "fix" or "soothing" is food -- does this have the potential to turn into food addictions or 'emotional eating'? Just some of the things that I'm curious about.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nycea Pacific View Post
    Speculation time, and caveat- I am not a doctor or any kind of expert and I don't even play one on tv.

I suspect from a lot of daily observation of lots of different types of people... that you just don't have the biochemical vulnerabilities that people with these problems have. Your brain is on a completely different planet. Though, my brain and body are also on a totally different planet from, say, the strung-out addict who I just walked by downtown (and am essentially powerless to help out.) I don't have a brain and body that had that kind of destructive reaction to alcohol or to opiates, even. I've been given morphine in medical settings. Doctors were pleasantly surprised that I just... had no addiction issues with it at all. Nothing.

Biochemistry is individual and because it's invisible, I guess it's very mysterious why that poor gal on the street fell into a biochemical hole of serious addiction, and I've never finished a prescription for a painkiller in my life. I just don't care/need/want them.

Weird, huh?

Anyway, I wouldn't feel like you don't belong here. Primal's good for a lot of stuff, you don't need to have this particular biochemical vulnerability that makes your brain overreact to food. It's good not to have problems, lol. And even the people here who DO have this particular problem... well, there's a whole universe of awful diseases out there that they too, even though this problem sucks monumentally, do NOT have.

If you actually are interested/care enough to bother googling, look up what happened to Michael Hutchence sometime. Take particular note of how he did mounds of heroin and cocaine prior to a motorcycle accident that literally damaged the biochemical balance of his brain. And how he just... never got addicted. And then after? Almost immediately he turned into a severe alcoholic, he fell into a deep depression, and yeah, the rest isn't a happy story. But it was sure a real object lesson, imo anyway, on how biochemistry drives one's vulnerability to various substances.
    I couldn't agree more.

I NEVER had an issue with food. Sure, I ate crap for a long time, but I never obsessed over it. I was about 25 pounds overweight and having migraines more and more frequently, so I thought Primal seemed like a great way to make me look good naked and be pain free. Switching over to Primal was difficult for a few days, but super easy after that.

Then I hit my head. Knocked unconscious in an ATV rollover, and I was wearing a full face motorcycle helmet. I suddenly started gaining weight again and my immune system took a dive, but those symptoms seemed to disappear within about a month. It wasn't quite as easy as before the accident, but not bad at all.

Then I hit my head again about 7 months later, and even though it wasn't as hard, the aftermath was worse because my brain hadn't fully healed from the first hit. My immune system went downhill even worse than the first time, I was depressed and irritable for a couple of months after, I had (and still have) a really difficult time having any willpower at all when it comes to food, and even if I eat absolutely perfectly, my weight (mostly belly fat) just will not go down. Of course, when eating great has no obvious advantage over eating donuts, then it's even more difficult to choose the right thing day after day.

I have documented scar tissue on my brain now, and there's no fix for that. I didn't have food issues before, and I've been on this planet for almost 5 decades now. Eating right was easy. I'm just hoping that my brain will eventually reroute and fix itself or it's going to be a very steep uphill struggle for a very long time.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 08-26-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    I think you need to just start eating healthy, and taking care of those cravings. Primal is a good start but being 100% primal all the time would seem like a complete nightmare. I agree who wants to eggs, meat for breakfast everyday, that is nasty. I always mix it up, if I feel like going out and getting a nice bagel toasted with cream cheese I got for it, no harm done. My motto is everything in moderation. At work my snack is whole pretzels, I eat them all the time. I actually love wheat, and never have a problem with it. Honestly food never gives me any kind of issues, but that is because I do watch what I eat. I do eat garbage like fast food, Doritos, etc. I eat clean but not strict about it. You need to live life. This whole caveman theory is BS! We have evolved to eat certain foods now with no issues.
    Last edited by Barefoot Gentile; 08-26-2012 at 05:43 PM.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I know there's already a ton of replies but I really hope you see this. After about 9 months of trying this and that...gave up grains for about 6 months, gave up dairy for one, both of which were experiments... well, here's what primal eating means to me now. Eat what seems right to you. I really like quinoa, it makes me feel good, gets me through long days at work. I eat less bread, but I still eat sandwiches made with Ezekiel bread: organic turkey, organic provolone, mustard, cucumber, and organic spinach... Stonyfield organic greek yogurt is another thing I won't ever give up again. But if I eat dairy, I eat pineapple, too. Bromelain (enzyme in pineapple) helps the body digest protein.

Think about it this way... Grok would do what feels right. Grok would never stop eating something that made him feel good cuz the internet said it was bad. Grok would trust his body first and foremost. If something felt good, Grok would keep doing it. Don't beat yourself up trying to follow someone else's rules. Make your food decisions based on what pleases YOU!

Dotty Byrd is offline Junior Member
    I came to this because I wanted to start a thread on eating disorders and was just checking that i wasn't repeating. I have an eating disorder that has been under control for 15 years although once or twice a year I may have a stress response. I am the most level headed person you will ever meet and my eating disorder manifested itself in my 30s although I know the seeds were sown in childhood. It is very important that I do not "diet" as this could trigger the problem again, however, I cannot deal with being over weight and therefore I have to address healthy eating in some way. It took a real leap of faith to give up smoking and accept that I may put on weight. I did, I put on a stone. I've hated it. I feel like I want a sign on my back saying "my other body is a porsche". My point is this - the cure for an eating disorder is to eat. The cure for the thing causing the eating disorder is something different and you have to find the underlying reason before you can treat it. This problem you describe is nothing to to do with food and only you can identify what is causing you to want to treat the pain with food. I have read every book written by so called experts on eating disorders and for me none of them seem to really get it. Food is fuel nothing more. An eating disorder is never about food. It seems to me that Paleo is a cure for the food side of eating disorders because you can trust that you can eat without putting on weight. It's a massive problem for ED sufferers to eat a meal with carbs and find they weigh 4lb more the next day because of the water held in carbs weight. This subject is so broad that I could write my own book on it. For me, although my problems stemmed from food rewards as a child, the eating disorder manifested itself when I was married to someone who made me feel unworthy and food became symbolic of wanting good things and feeling I didn't deserve them - binge and purge. You need to find the source of your problem and why it's manifesting itself now.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    I think you need to just start eating healthy, and taking care of those cravings. Primal is a good start but being 100% primal all the time would seem like a complete nightmare. I agree who wants to eggs, meat for breakfast everyday, that is nasty. I always mix it up, if I feel like going out and getting a nice bagel toasted with cream cheese I got for it, no harm done. My motto is everything in moderation. At work my snack is whole pretzels, I eat them all the time. I actually love wheat, and never have a problem with it. Honestly food never gives me any kind of issues, but that is because I do watch what I eat. I do eat garbage like fast food, Doritos, etc. I eat clean but not strict about it. You need to live life. This whole caveman theory is BS! We have evolved to eat certain foods now with no issues.
    Please note that this person believes that the science behind why we don't eat grains is BS. He also admits that food never gives him problems.

Most of us believe that the science behind why we choose to forgo grains is valid. Likewise, most of us experience in our daily lives the impact that foods have on us -- both positive and negative.

None of us are not "living life." I'm living life very well utilizing the PB. It has enhanced my life.

By now, most of you realize that I'm not one who is going around saying 100%. I'm always telling people to keep it simple. Sometimes that does mean having a bagel, but more often than not it doesn't.

For me, the PB makes sense. It's enhanced our lives. It started when DH was having serious gut issues and his naturopath suggested that he go gluten free. I started to research that, and realized that grain-free would be easier. And, it would be easier if our whole family went that way, as a matter of budget, family meals, etc.

The benefits have been enormous. Not only has DH been healing his gut, but any discomforts that I'd just gotten used to in my body (bloating/constipation; PMS symptoms; a certain body fat percentage even though I was active) have completely disappeared. And they only reappear when I am consistently "off primal" (i.e. 3-5 straight days of having grains of some form).

For breakfast, we do diversify even though we usually have eggs for breakfast. The diversity is often in method of cooking as well as what is served along side. That usually doesn't involve meat, either. It's usually vegetables and sometimes fruit. For my son and my husband, breakfast is always fruit plus either coconut cream or raw yogurt (DS), eggs and vegetables, a cup of bone broth. For myself, most days I have 2-3 eggs and sometimes an orange, though on weekends I do the big eggs-and-veg thing.

A friend of mine is also paleo and she alternates between eggs (which I think she has 3 days a week), her "parfait" which is berries, coconut cream (she mixes in some protein powder too, i think), some chopped nuts and seeds which she apparently makes into some kind of granola, and an 'asian breakfast' which is basically a broth poorer over some meat and veggies which she did as a dry stir fry.

Bagels, while wonderful, are not required breakfast foods in order to demonstrate that you are "living life." Sure, have one if you want one, but it's not necessary.

I have always watched what I ate and I've been through many iterations of my own diet. This is the one that seems to be the best and healthiest for me and has given me a lot of insight and freedom. I find that it draws me into my natural rhythms (of really only eating two meals a day, sometimes a snack with that), btu it also keeps me and my family really healthy and strong. We enjoy this process.

And we've all seen the health benefits. DS is very tall, strong, and sturdy. He's very healthy. DH's gut issues are basically solved, and any issues that I had are as well. We feel better this way.

Do we still enjoy treats on a regular basis? Yes. We had cake for DS's birthday and cookies too. And, we get good gelato on a regular basis (every 8 weeks or so). Sometimes we go to the fish and chip shop and get a burger or some fish/chips. On very, very rare occasion we'll get pizza (normally if a friend makes it because otherwise pizza here is terrible).

But it's definitely in the 20%, and I think I did some math about the average number of meals that I eat and how many of them include non-primal things and it was less than 5%.

I think that primal makes living my life better, so I'm going to continue.

But by all means, if you don't think primal is making your life better, then stop.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    I agree who wants to eggs, meat for breakfast everyday, that is nasty.
    you bark at the wrong tree

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast