Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Primal giving me an eating disorder page 4

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You sound bored. Maybe go get a cookbook, make some primal pancakes, perfect a roast chicken. A breakfast of primal pancakes and bacon or a smoothie whatever once or twice a week breaks up boredom. Yeah, almond meal pancakes are NOT PERFECT!!!11!!!11 but they won't kill you and if it keeps from the Dunkin Donuts shame spiral, eat 'em.

jqlauren is offline Junior Member
    While it may be true that Primal did not give you an ED, any kind of eating style that requires a lot of time and attention will most assuredly exacerbate it. As someone who has struggled with emotional/binge/overeating most of my life, I have total empathy. I feel like some of the previous replies are insensitive and perhaps uninformed about how real a food addiction is. Food (sugar, salt,fat) are the only type of addictive substances/addiction that CANNOT be 100% eliminated from a person's life. You have to dance with the devil everyday...
    So -
    I recommend working with a therapist ( who specializes in binge/obsessive eating) on learning some strategies to notice the signs when you are nearing a cliff -
    I have actually worked with one of the authors of the book recommended - I am not saying I don't recommend the book - but I do feel that if you are in a bad place emotionally around food - it can almost be permission to binge, at least that's what it did to me.
    I used this new found "body acceptance" as an excuse to eat more crap than ever. In the end, I didn't gain any real body acceptance, because I gained 10 lbs. putting me over 200 for the first time in my life ( a place I then stayed for over 15 years) - and it actually worsened my unhealthy relationship with food because it made me feel even more entitled to feed myself addictive foods because now I was angry and bitter at all the people in my life who ate whatever they wanted and maintained a healthy weight ( read good-looking) body.
    I had a pretty challenging childhood - food was my constant - my comfort - my escape - my friend... Until I started dealing with that, the emotional cravings had all the power. They can still be VERY strong ( probably because my emotions know that eating any combo of the big three ( salt,sugar,fat) will release all those feel-good hormones!) Just yesterday, I was having a really bad day i wanted to eat fries, and ice cream, and cookies, etc., etc., etc. - I didn't but I was white knuckling it at times.
    I am finding that when I pre-plan an indulgence day/meal, When I give myself permission, I enjoy the food without over doing it and i am satisfied with much less. When I give in to an emotional craving, looking for food to give me comfort, right a wrong, help me escape, or relieve my stress, a normal amount is never enough and " a treat" because I deserve it, becomes a multi-day binge where I feel i need to eat every kind of food i have been "denying" myself.
    I am a true believer in deep self awareness and analysis - once you know why - the real, deep down, reaction to pain - centered reasons why, you can begin to finds ways to heal rather than continue to use food to cover it up.
    Try out the practical solutions listed here AND start delving into the underlying stuff too.
    Hope this helps. - check in and let us know how you are doing .

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jqlauren View Post
    While it may be true that Primal did not give you an ED, any kind of eating style that requires a lot of time and attention will most assuredly exacerbate it. As someone who has struggled with emotional/binge/overeating most of my life, I have total empathy. I feel like some of the previous replies are insensitive and perhaps uninformed about how real a food addiction is. Food (sugar, salt,fat) are the only type of addictive substances/addiction that CANNOT be 100% eliminated from a person's life. You have to dance with the devil everyday...
    So -
    I recommend working with a therapist ( who specializes in binge/obsessive eating) on learning some strategies to notice the signs when you are nearing a cliff -
    I have actually worked with one of the authors of the book recommended - I am not saying I don't recommend the book - but I do feel that if you are in a bad place emotionally around food - it can almost be permission to binge, at least that's what it did to me.
    I used this new found "body acceptance" as an excuse to eat more crap than ever. In the end, I didn't gain any real body acceptance, because I gained 10 lbs. putting me over 200 for the first time in my life ( a place I then stayed for over 15 years) - and it actually worsened my unhealthy relationship with food because it made me feel even more entitled to feed myself addictive foods because now I was angry and bitter at all the people in my life who ate whatever they wanted and maintained a healthy weight ( read good-looking) body.
    I had a pretty challenging childhood - food was my constant - my comfort - my escape - my friend... Until I started dealing with that, the emotional cravings had all the power. They can still be VERY strong ( probably because my emotions know that eating any combo of the big three ( salt,sugar,fat) will release all those feel-good hormones!) Just yesterday, I was having a really bad day i wanted to eat fries, and ice cream, and cookies, etc., etc., etc. - I didn't but I was white knuckling it at times.
    I am finding that when I pre-plan an indulgence day/meal, When I give myself permission, I enjoy the food without over doing it and i am satisfied with much less. When I give in to an emotional craving, looking for food to give me comfort, right a wrong, help me escape, or relieve my stress, a normal amount is never enough and " a treat" because I deserve it, becomes a multi-day binge where I feel i need to eat every kind of food i have been "denying" myself.
    I am a true believer in deep self awareness and analysis - once you know why - the real, deep down, reaction to pain - centered reasons why, you can begin to finds ways to heal rather than continue to use food to cover it up.
    Try out the practical solutions listed here AND start delving into the underlying stuff too.
    Hope this helps. - check in and let us know how you are doing .
    Yes, some of the above responses are very insensitive, I agree. If you haven't dealt with an eating disorder it is something that takes over your mind and your life ...not something to make light of. About the book ...it does give you permission to give into your cravings and eat, but that allowed me to stop obsessing so much. It's not a cure, but a different perspective. I still have times when I eat due to emotion rather than hunger, but I understand that's what I am doing and I know it's not going to fix it and I try hard to assess what is bothering me so I don't keep eating to suppress it. Primal really helped my binge eating disorder because I think it addressed the biological condition of being fat depleted (saturated-fat mostly). As someone mentioned above it sounds like you may need some medical attention to make sure everything is in balance.

Please do check in... best wishes.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Primal really helped my binge eating disorder because I think it addressed the biological condition of being fat depleted (saturated-fat mostly).
    Same here.... and I wonder if overtime, the restriction of carbs/sugars ends up creating the same state of bingeing. I think we really need to eat a balanced diet and when we start cutting out bunches of stuff.... overtime does it kick us in the ass? I think our bodies tell us what we want, and what we call cravings and binges.... of whole foods, is actually an attempt to make us feel better.

When I first started eating meat again, I ate half a roast chicken in one sitting.... I literally drank the fat. I felt AMAZING afterwards. It was technically a binge, but started restoring something in my body. Here we freak out over eating too much fruit and nuts- but what if they are something we need, particularly if we have restricted them?

My question on binges would be how do you feel, and that determines if it was something you needed vs. some other reason. I used to have sugar/dessert binges and always felt like ass afterwards.

A lot of times on this site.... people demonize some decent whole foods "all we need is fat".... well how many of us arrived here from a place of "don't need no fat... just carbs". I think we need a balance.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Issabeau, I understand disordered eating (all too well), and you have my empathy.

A thought: you may find Stefani Ruper's Paleo for Women blog, forum and podcasts of some interest. She and her mods have a lot of experience in the world of EDs and offer a supportive environment to discuss various matters of interest to women who are seeking physical, mental and emotional health.

My best to you.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Same here.... and I wonder if overtime, the restriction of carbs/sugars ends up creating the same state of bingeing. I think we really need to eat a balanced diet and when we start cutting out bunches of stuff.... overtime does it kick us in the ass? I think our bodies tell us what we want, and what we call cravings and binges.... of whole foods, is actually an attempt to make us feel better.

When I first started eating meat again, I ate half a roast chicken in one sitting.... I literally drank the fat. I felt AMAZING afterwards. It was technically a binge, but started restoring something in my body. Here we freak out over eating too much fruit and nuts- but what if they are something we need, particularly if we have restricted them?

My question on binges would be how do you feel, and that determines if it was something you needed vs. some other reason. I used to have sugar/dessert binges and always felt like ass afterwards.

A lot of times on this site.... people demonize some decent whole foods "all we need is fat".... well how many of us arrived here from a place of "don't need no fat... just carbs". I think we need a balance.
    Yes, I wonder why I crave nuts so often. Not insanely but when I go a couple days without them I really have a physical craving. Also when I cut out sugar and grains I started eating a lot more fruit. I don't think it is feeding a sugar addiction because somedays I may "accidentely" eat almost no carbs at all.

I believe that maybe your taste buds are not your enemy. That anything that tastes good which is not manmade is good for you. Why would your body mislead you as lomg as you don't put weird chemicals in it
    Billie trips balls

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Another book recommendation is

are Susan Albers'

"50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food"
    “But I deserve this chocolate!” : the 50 most common diet-derailing excuses and how to outwit them."

I am using them now to understand my over-eating & binging and stop it. I find it extremely helpful.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you need not just a hobby, but one that brings you a sense of joy and accomplishment and keeps you busy. I used to snack like crazy (including a bowl of ice cream every night...) when I had little to do but sit around the house. Now I frequently IF because I don't have time to slow down, and my life is so full and enjoyable that I don't spend much of it thinking about food. It might take a while to get to that point, but start by sitting down and making a list - brainstorm some things you might enjoy more than eating, some things you've always felt passionate or even just curious about, things that would get you moving and out of the house.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post

Good points... hard to know whether cravings are pyschological or physiological. Either way, I don't think they should be entirely ignored. I crave cheese and therefore I won't ever give it up. I eat it in moderation (sometimes more so).

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Issabeau, I understand disordered eating (all too well), and you have my empathy.

A thought: you may find Stefani Ruper's Paleo for Women blog, forum and podcasts of some interest. She and her mods have a lot of experience in the world of EDs and offer a supportive environment to discuss various matters of interest to women who are seeking physical, mental and emotional health.

My best to you.
    Yes, her blog is great... maybe something useful there for you!

Nycea Pacific is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Man, I read this earlier today and I seriously feel for you. I've been right where you are and wow, it is NOT fun.

I agree with people upthread who suggested that you may have a lot of broken biochemistry flying around. No diet or magic food is going to fix that for you. You really need to have a look at all the stuff they suggested- leaky gut, blood sugar, various mineral and nutrient levels, celiac, etc etc etc, thyroid, there's a LOT of them. That stuff will erupt under any diet, no matter if it's the Holy Cure-all Diet of Perfect and tear it to pieces.

Take it from yet another person who spent several years of sheer futile torture trying to fix massive biochemical problems with a 'diet'. It's like trying to fix the fact that your house is burning to the ground around you by stressing over whether the blue or the red curtains will go with the room. (And believe me. I have BEEN there.)

It's not your fault.

I'd put that in a 1000pt typeface if I could. So just picture that huge screen at Times Square flashing those words. It's not your fault, you did nothing bad and in fact you probably have been putting in superhuman effort for years and years... all while feeling like you 'deserve' more pain and punishment. All that? NO. Okay? Just NO.

Psychological torture- which you can thank a whole lot of extrenal forces for- wastes energy. You need your energy to deal with your house burning to the ground.

I personally do not believe you are bored or you need a hobby. I was told that a whole lot when in fact, I needed immediate medical/pharmaceutical intervention. You probably desperately need a vitamin, a nutrient, something to correct a biochemical metabolic or neurochemical or any other of the ten million interlocking chemical systems.

Hell, get a hobby if you like, but man. Fix that stuff first, imo. And save your brainspace and energy for that. You've got a pretty wicked detective story ahead of you.

Which is, I guess, the positive way to spin it. Maybe think of this as a cryptic mystery that you alone can crack.

Anyway.

Imo, right now, do not worry about trying to diet or any of that stuff. Seriously, now is not the time to be trying to eff around with ANY diet. If you've got a weight problem that is a serious issue right now, then just find the most simple way to put a pause button on it. Whatever it takes. As long as the weight problem isn't actively getting worse, you can put it aside while you figure out what's going on with your body.

Also?
    If you can?
    Give yourself a break. None of this stuff is your fault. Everyone I know is dealing with some kind of 'food problem', which I'm honestly starting to think IS linked to all that GMO/Codex Alementantwhateveritis/Monsanto, etc etc STUFF out there. I don't know what the hell is wrong with our food supply, but wow, something is wrong! lol Everyone I know is getting sick and depressed. And diabetic, and battling weight, and food intolerant/allergic, and chronically fatigued and getting cancer, or MS, or etc etc etc.

So if you feel like a big freak... uh... DON'T. lol.
    And really, ease up on yourself. That's the first best thing you can do.
    The second best thing you can do is get yourself feeling ok again- whatever it takes- and then roll up your sleeves and go deal with this ish.

Good luck. There's tons of info here on this forum, and a zillion people who can help you out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast