Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal giving me an eating disorder page 3

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I've looked into this and read most of the reviews. It's cheap, but before ordering it I'll check the local library and see if I get to read it for free.
    Thanks for the link mate.

To be honest with you, I think you're out of your mind.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    To be honest with you, I think you're out of your mind.
    I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I combine primal with the 'No S diet' which says no snacking, no sugar and no seconds except SOMETIMES on days that start with an S. If I know that I can have whatever I want when the weekend rolls around then I feel a lot more relaxed about things and I often don't bother. Though hey - sometimes I want something non-primal and then the rule is I have to want it bad enough to make it myself and then I share to get rid of it. That might help. Just a thought. Look at it as a guideline that you generally follow in your life. But hey - you also need the room to indulge yourself now and then and not feel a shred of guilt about it. I find my problem more than anything was overeating in general. Even if I eat SAD stuff but only stick to 3 meals it's hard for me to go over 2000 calories a day.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You could try Overeaters Anonymous. You can define what abstinence means to you and you would have support to help you achieve it. Their 3-0-1 idea is useful. Three (3) meals a day, Nothing (0) in between, 1 (one) day at a time. Anyway, you aren't alone. I think about food all the time, too, even if I'm not hungry. I usually forget all about it when I'm doing things I really enjoy, like hiking or playing at the jam session (if I'm having a good night and feel like I can actually play the fiddle, which I mostly can't.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    If you're fasting because you feel like you have to...stop. Don't stress over snacking, or IFing. That's my advice.

And if you're bored...what about going for a walk? I'm still Walking to Mordor (via Nerd Fitness) -- nearly 80 miles since I began at the end of July. It's a great way to Move Slowly, it gets you out in the sunshine, and there's a goal (reaching Mordor).

Primegal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    I
    The more I think about how I can't have something because it raises insulin or it ruins my teeth, the worse the cravings get for food because that is what I constantly think about, from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to bed.
    Sounds like you are in a world of pain. This level of cravings & feeling awful after good quality food is not normal. I would also suggest checking out whether you have underlying health issues which are affecting you e.g, hormones, insulin resistance, food allergies/ sensitivites, leaky gut etc. If there is underlying issues then these need to be addressed as a priority in order for you to feel better.

I spent about 4-5 months in hell trying to eat a limited whole food diet, with minimal sugar etc. Ended up I had undiagnosed insulin resistance (which makes you want to overeat & gives you irrational, uncontrollable cravings), adrenal fatigue, a leaky gut (which meant among other things I had cravings as I couldn't absorb nutrients properly), food sensitivities to gluten, some nuts, most grains, all my other hormones were out of whack & causing so many other symptoms & issues. If you feel this crappy research your symptoms, educate & empower yourself. Take control. Engage a holistic practitioner who is not just treating symptoms & diseases, who holds nutritional beliefs which resonate with you, & who is actually healthy themselves (not overweight) to help you analyse the big picture & help you get well.

Since I was diagnosed & treated, I have turned all this & more around. Once I was under treatment I was able to change to a primal diet & not feel like crap, not experience cravings, not overeat.. which as it turns out had been due to the underlying medical conditions & not a healthy, pure diet.

Wishing you strength & success on your journey to wellness.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I had pretty much the same problem, but I don't really know how to help. I thought carbs and dairy were evil. But then when i started eating them again, I felt normal again. You have to broaden your choices. Yogurt with fruit, maybe honey. Coconut milk smoothies, find new recipes. Primal isn't more restricted than CW. CW says no to red meat, chicken skin, full fat yogurt, egg yolks and more. You "can have" pretty much anything. Anything but grains. Name 1 thing that CW says is healthy which isn't primal apart from grains.
    Sure you "can't have" brownies, but you "can't have it" on any other "diet".
    Billie trips balls

Look, it's one thing to say that you're bent out of shape over food, but it's a totally different thing to say that "Primal is giving me a disorder.".

It's irresponsible to blame Primal.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast