Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Primal Preppers? page 4

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Happened to stumble upon this website the other day when goofing on Pinterest. This woman has a method of vacuum packing meals in a jar. Not all of the them are primal, but there are a few that are and others that can be modified. The jars last 7-10 years on the shelf with no need to pressure can or any of the hassles I mentally associated with canning. Definitely an interesting resource!

Ellen is offline Member
    A couple years back Mark did a (somewhat tongue in cheek) post on this topic. It was informative (and funny!), though more of a starting place for serious preppers

Primal Preparations for the Post Apocalypse | Mark's Daily Apple

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking canning, canning, and some more canning. We may have to venture out from our safe primal foods.. Its too bad that it's too challenging to raise your own meat for some of us in the city. (even more challenging after the SHTF...shit hits the fan).

Plenty of water, water filter system, iodine tablets, vit c tablets, and extensive first aid kit, fishing gear, camping gear... my list is endless.

My ideal way to be prepared is to have enough supplies for 3 months if we stay in place, and if we have to move, have 1 month supplies ready to go with us.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Do you stockpile medications? My prescriptions allow me to get a maximum 90-day supply maximum of thyroid medications. If there is a natural disaster right after I've picked up a prescription, I'll probably be OK for three months until things get sorted out. But if I'm a week or two away from a refill, I'd be in trouble.

A few weeks back, Mark had linked to Dr. Ron's freeze-dried liver. Some of the liver products include bovine thyroid and other organs. Has anyone tried these?

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Preppernation – Preppers, Homesteaders, Modern Survivalists is one of my favorite sites, their short story on Mutant-Zombie Bikers really touched me!
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Juniperarrow is offline Member
    I am surprised no one mentioned lacto-fermentation. Although it uses salt (which is not really that unhealthy for you if you use good quality sea salt or Real Salt from Utah or Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Pink Salt or whatever salt that is not refined and some other color than pure white) it is a healthier method than canning and increases the nutritional content of the food being preserved and adds pro-biotic content as well. You can also use whey instead of salt. Real sauerkraut is an example of this though you can lacto-ferment all kinds of fruits and veggies and even meat and fish (<though I wouldn't do the meat and fish for long term purposes based on my small collection of knowledge about this subject at this moment) . I have also taken cooked beets and poured raw (Bragg's) Apple Cider Vinegar all over them and left them in that for a month and they tasted awesome. I also have done the same thing with ramps (wild leeks) and cut cucumbers. The wild leeks ones are still good even though they have been sitting at room temp and in hot summer weather (no air conditioner here) for over three months (actually they taste the same as two months ago). Greens and if you know how the forage, wild plants can be dried (even without a dehydrator) and stored in a cook dark spot for many months. Root vegetables also store well in a cool dark spot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234