Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Preppers? page 2

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    Look, I'm not really familiar with the customs in New Zealand. I'll admit that much.
    2011 Christchurch earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Dude! Laugh all you like.......Feb 2011 my SIL found herself in an unlivable home, with a year old baby and dog, no electricity, no running water, no toilet, two days worth of nappies, no dog food, all supermarkets in her city closed/destroyed, car that she couldn't get out of the garage. This went on for weeks.........

I'll be prepping thanks all the same.
    I was in L.A. for both the Northridge Quake in 1994 (6.7 on the richter scale, major structural damage, no utilities for about a week, including water) and the L.A. Riots in 1992 (just... chaos, anarchy and mindless violence), so I totally understand.

Also, I was laid off from my last job due to the bust in the real estate bubble, and now, 5 years later, I'm being laid off from a completely different job in a completely different industry due to new technology. Lesson learned? Even when you're a really valued employee, there is no guarantee that you will have a job (and a paycheck) next week. Prepping works for that, too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I actually thought TROD's post was funny!

But yes Rita, these are all very good examples of why we all need to be prepared. You never do think its going to happen to you. Good luck finding yourself another job!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I actually thought TROD's post was funny!

But yes Rita, these are all very good examples of why we all need to be prepared. You never do think its going to happen to you. Good luck finding yourself another job!
    Dado is... different, but we love him that way. Always entertaining, and keeps you alert.

I've still got this job for a few more months, so I have time to prepare for it. Thanks!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

KimNKY is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    I gotta admit. One of my guilty pleasures is the National Geographic Channel show Doomsday Preppers . . . some of them are just nuts - but some of them are just impressive and inspiring.
    Totally agree! I love Doomsday Preppers for the trainwreck factor, but sometimes there are some really great ideas. Did you see the guy who raised tilapia in his pool and had the self sustaining ecosystem? That was really amazing to me just for the environmental factor.

I've been home canning for a few years, and it doesn't necessarily need to involve sugar. Acidic things like tomatoes and many fruits can be preserved in just a boiling water bath without much special equipment. They don't necessarily need to be jams or salty pickles- I make pears preserved in spiced tea with just a little honey for sweetener. When you get into other vegetables without acid, or meat, then you need a pressure canner and it becomes more difficult to do safely.

I do canning more for health and environmental reasons than preparing for the zombie apocalypse, but having that extra food stored away is a huge help when money is tight or you're snowed in and can't get to the store!
    Last edited by KimNKY; 08-23-2012 at 08:14 PM.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

I saw this at Cabela's a couple weeks ago and picked up a box just because it made me laugh.
    Aside from that, I have quite the stockpile of basic first aid supplies, some iodine/aquamira, whitegas stove and extra fuel, headlamp with extra batteries, etc. And I'm not preparing for the apocalypse or a disaster, at all ... I just have this stuff because I'm a climber/backpacker/whatever. Though now that I think about it, it's interesting how basic outdoor skills would be immensely useful in a disaster situation (not apocalyptic) ... functional hobby ftw?
    Last edited by AmyMac703; 08-23-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Ha, I was going to post this exact thread earlier this week and hadn't gotten around to it. I like the idea of prepping, we recently had one of our major cities in NZ totally out of action due to a major earthquake so its something quite real for us at present.

Some of my friends are stocked up with a years suply of wheat, rice, salt, sugar and the likes, and I think it only works if you are constantly using these items and replacing what you've used every month or so, that way it keeps fairly fresh. This to me is the major flaw of currently living primal, because in an emergency situation I won't care what I eat, but to cycle the stored food through with minimum of waste you'd need to eat it all regularly.

I need to put together a bit more of a kit and I was going to focus on water stores, tinned products, powdered milk etc. I suppose coconut products would store well also, coconut cream in a tin, desicated coconut, coconut flour. EVOO kept in dark, airtight containers would probably last a while too. Oh and of course a years supply of dark chocolate would be the minimum for any household surely?

Watching this thread with interest for other ideas.
    Glad I'm not the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Lots of canned fish and vegetables. I am not sure I would be so concerned with optimal health in such a scenario. Besides, my teen sons get in a frenzy about World War Z if I mentioned anything that is remotely close to a survivalist situation. (World War Z is about the zombie holocaust...)
    Oh I know, I've read it. Though I'm not holding out for a zombie apocalypse, more to just be prepared for actual disasters that might happen - of which there are plenty to be worried about it . . . LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Check out Jack Spirko's podcast called (appropriately enough) The Survival Podcast. He's a prepper without falling into the "tin hat" insanity, and he's Paleo too. I found him when he had Mark on his podcast maybe as much as a year ago.
    Cool! I'll check him out! Thanks for the tip.
    I was in L.A. for both the Northridge Quake in 1994 (6.7 on the richter scale, major structural damage, no utilities for about a week, including water) and the L.A. Riots in 1992 (just... chaos, anarchy and mindless violence), so I totally understand.

Also, I was laid off from my last job due to the bust in the real estate bubble, and now, 5 years later, I'm being laid off from a completely different job in a completely different industry due to new technology. Lesson learned? Even when you're a really valued employee, there is no guarantee that you will have a job (and a paycheck) next week. Prepping works for that, too.
    So true. I was in a similar position myself just 3 years ago. I had to go to a food bank because I had no food and no way to get any. It was a low point to be sure, and I was happy to be able to find a charity that could help out. (Which I've repaid since then - paying it forward, ya know?) . . . but you definitely can't always count on the charity of others.

Quote Originally Posted by KimNKY View Post
    Totally agree! I love Doomsday Preppers for the trainwreck factor, but sometimes there are some really great ideas. Did you see the guy who raised tilapia in his pool and had the self sustaining ecosystem? That was really amazing to me just for the environmental factor.

I've been home canning for a few years, and it doesn't necessarily need to involve sugar. Acidic things like tomatoes and many fruits can be preserved in just a boiling water bath without much special equipment. They don't necessarily need to be jams or salty pickles- I make pears preserved in spiced tea with just a little honey for sweetener. When you get into other vegetables without acid, or meat, then you need a pressure canner and it becomes more difficult to do safely.

I do canning more for health and environmental reasons than preparing for the zombie apocalypse, but having that extra food stored away is a huge help when money is tight or you're snowed in and can't get to the store!
    Yes! That was spectacular! And really, one of the best to be ready for any such thing is to be self-sufficient as possible, and it's green too . . . which is really appealing to my inner homesteader.

I don't think you have to be a foil hat wearing nut job to see the value in being self-sufficient and prepared for disasters. Even if those disasters are "just" wildfires and blizzards, not zombies and super volcanoes.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Paleobird Guest
    I was in L.A. visiting a friend when the Northridge quake happened. Yep. Those of us who live on to of the San Andreas fault need to be mindful of keeping some supplies on hand. Of course here in desert country, the limiting factor is water. If you stockpile enough of that you will probably be fine. I also keep firewood in the garage even though I rarely light my outdoor fire pit just to have a way of cooking stuff as it defrosts out of the freezer if the power goes out for a while. I also have a Coleman stove and keep water purification tablets and lots of batteries around. I have a little radio with a hand crank charger and a solar panel on it. That came in really handy last year when we had that blackout for most of a day and night. It was good to be able to get the updates on what was going on. Several of my neighbors came over and we sat around the radio taking turns cranking it. It turned into a block party.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Keeping emergency supplies is just common sense. Water, food, home protection, etc.

Being strong and physically fit is a major plus!

I know it really hit home for me in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. People being herded like cattle, but behaving like sheep. You must be able to rely on yourself and your neighbors, not FEMA or any "agency".

Be Prepared isn't for just the Boy Scouts anymore.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post

I saw this at Cabela's a couple weeks ago and picked up a box just because it made me laugh.
    Aside from that, I have quite the stockpile of basic first aid supplies, some iodine/aquamira, whitegas stove and extra fuel, headlamp with extra batteries, etc. And I'm not preparing for the apocalypse or a disaster, at all ... I just have this stuff because I'm a climber/backpacker/whatever. Though now that I think about it, it's interesting how basic outdoor skills would be immensely useful in a disaster situation (not apocalyptic) ... functional hobby ftw?
    LOL! I saw those in the catalog. So funny!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast