Thread: Recent MDA Article - Fat Storage for Women page

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member

Recent MDA Article - Fat Storage for Women

Primal Fuel
    Why Men and Women Store and Burn Fat Differently | Mark's Daily Apple

I read this article recently and it brought to light something I've been thinking about a lot lately. This article states women store fat in their thighs and heinys and why we do so. All my life before pregnancy and during, this was certainly the case for me. HOWEVER, since pregnancy I have stored fat in my stomach that does *not* want to budge. I've always wondered why this is??? I'm 6 months in to nursing, and the fat on the rest of my body is whittling down, but not so much on my stomach. Is it a cortisol thing? Stress of pregnancy still present in my body? What?? Also, I saw a LOT of women commenting similar complaints about "non typical" female fat storage. What's going on???
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    As I understand it (disclaimer: not a woman) when women are stressed their body 'shuts down' and acts more like that of a man. Here's Stefani Ruper's rebuttal of the MDA fasting series as advocated for men and women.

If you are breastfeeding a 6 month old (particularly at night), that would definitely qualify as 'stressed' in my book.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    First of all, Yay Mark! for even getting around to addressing gender differences.

But, I think that article basically told all of us females what we already know. It is annoyingly easy for guys to lose weight and hard for us even with identical eating, effort, etc.

I think this also addresses why so many guys can "get away with" a cheat (or several) while the ladies have one step out of line and that cheat food "goes straight to the thighs".

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Seems like it must be a hormonal thing... once we are past the childbearing age we store get to store fat in our abdominal area rather than our thighs and buttocks... or a bit of both probably. Aren't we lucky! I never used to store fat in my middle and now in my mid thirties it doesn't seem to want to budge! I haven't even had kids yet!