Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep or Work Out? page 2

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Sometimes you have to make a choice what's more important. Law school is not easy and you need to have sufficient sleep to think. Eat as paleo as you can. Are you worried about gaining weight if you do not exercise? Do you have a break in between your classes? Is there a gym at your campus available? When I was in school, I had a 1 hr break in between my classes and instead of socializing I went to my gym nearby the school. I was working a full time job and going to university full time and I spent my off days from work writing papers. I did managed to go to the gym 3 x a week and i just watched my diet.
    I'm actually trying to lose the weight I already put on. In college, I ate poorly and drank a ton of alcohol, which added weight, and then in law school, I developed some issues with binging and drinking more frequently (although at least not binge drinking, so I'm fortunate there). I have about 30 lbs. to lose. I'm an evening student, so my classes are at night, with no breaks. I'm there from 6pm-9pm, right after work. I work 8am-5pm. So, if I don't do it before work, it won't happen.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine. Here's an idea - if you can't be helpful, don't reply.
    I did help. I said workout and if your tired stop. I dont know why you think people on this board can tell you whats right for you body. Just figure it out yourself. Theres no rules. And if you really want to read about how much sleep you need, try using google and research it yourself and get first hand info. No one does their own leg work anymore, they just join forums and ask other people to do the leg work for them. News flash, not everyone here knows what they are talking about. I used to eat up all the info in the nutritian board till I realized they were all idiots. As soon as someone says primal is not low carb, which is basicaly one of the main points of primal, then they lose all respect.

Anyway, my point is, figure it out for yourself. Dont assume everyone here has an idea of what they are talking about. Some do. All think they do. 90% do not.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Work out one day a week until the semester is over, get good sleep, and eat strict. If you have extra time, do another workout.

meepster is offline Senior Member
    I work full time and attend law school at night. As you can imagine, this leads to a pretty hectic schedule. This semester, I am in class four nights a week, which eats into my workout time. So, I had planned to get up at 5:30 AM so that I can get my workouts in during the week (nothing too punishing - 20-30 minutes of ballet, or lifting heavy things, or yoga). BUT, now I'm second guessing the getting up early. I otherwise would get up at 6:00 AM, so this isn't much earlier than my usual time. However, this means I will generally log 6.5-7.5 hours of sleep a night, because of how late class goes. So, which is more important?
    If you go by the effect on life expectancy and general health, sleep is much more important. Exercise is important, but nowhere near as important as sleep.

What I suggest is simple: keep a kettlebell in your office. Every hour or so, get up, do 20 seconds worth of exercise, then sit down again and continue your work. You'll get a great workout without taking any time out of your day at all - and you'll reduce your sedentary time, which you won't get from doing 20 minutes of drowsy ballet before work.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You can live longer without eating than you can without sleeping. While I'm guilty at times of doing so, I don't really think it's in your best interests to sacrifice sleep for exercise (which may increase your need for sleep).

If you can get adequate sleep and add some fitness work, do it. If you can't, don't stress about it. Not because exercise isn't important but because stress will probably kill you quicker than idleness.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Read Body by Science and do One high intensity resistance training a week. Learn to incorporated exercise into your days otherwise. Yoga can be done between classes or as a 10 minute stretch while studying. You can pump out a few pushups or do some mobility work anytime you want. You getting funny looks? F em.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    No one on this site can make a desicion for themselves. And apparently no one on this site can do research for themselves. Heres an idea; work out. If your tired, dont work out. Holly fuck hey? Howevever, i did read that if oyu get less than 8 hours of sleep a night then your life expectancy is reduced by 20 years....
    Yeah, you are a douche and then you make some bullshit up about 8 hours a night (did Oprah tell you that). What you don't get is that many people here do have pretty extensive education and this is a free resource to ask open and honest questions when your not quite sure. You can have fun and crack some jokes, but seriously if your just gonna pop in to say "figure it out dummy" WTF good are you?

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, you are a douche and then you make some bullshit up about 8 hours a night (did Oprah tell you that). What you don't get is that many people here do have pretty extensive education and this is a free resource to ask open and honest questions when your not quite sure. You can have fun and crack some jokes, but seriously if your just gonna pop in to say "figure it out dummy" WTF good are you?
    Seriously? That 8 hours of sleep thing was obviously a joke. Pump ur breaks.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually trying to lose the weight I already put on. In college, I ate poorly and drank a ton of alcohol, which added weight, and then in law school, I developed some issues with binging and drinking more frequently (although at least not binge drinking, so I'm fortunate there). I have about 30 lbs. to lose. I'm an evening student, so my classes are at night, with no breaks. I'm there from 6pm-9pm, right after work. I work 8am-5pm. So, if I don't do it before work, it won't happen.
    I might have missed it on your post somewhere but are you in school every single day? if so then if weekends are available I would just do that. At this point you don't have much room to play in your schedule. I know that sucks but remember law school is not forever and just think of how much dough you'll be making after that sacrifice LOL!

Just eat as clean as possible. Eat consistent meals daily. If your get sufficient sleep, your cortisol level stabilizes and you don't get that hunger pangs all the time.

AndyFossett is offline Junior Member
    My doubts come from being tired in the mornings. Even when waking at 6am, toward the end of the week, I do feel tired. Early in the week seems to be fine, but by Thursdays, I'm usually feeling tired as is. However, I do usually feel more energized throughout the day, even if I do something light and gentle like yoga, whereas if I don't exercise, it takes me longer to wake up. Given that my butt is stuck in a chair for 11-13 hours a day during the week, I'm trying to do a cost-benefit analysis. When both movement and sleep are important, it's hard choosing which to sacrifice, particularly when you're already struggling with weight you've put on.
    Then you probably need to prioritize your sleep.

Try to find ways to get more movement if you don't have time to work out. Or try to do a short, intense workout less frequently - even a couple of 15 minute workouts is better than nothing.

And when it comes to fat loss, diet is going to be a key.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12