Thread: Did I royally mess up this ghee making attempt? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Did I royally mess up this ghee making attempt?

Primal Fuel
    I followed a tutorial to the letter(I thought) and this what i have ended up with. Its not golden like i guess it should be but it smells fantastic. Even if it isn't exactly right is it still good to use?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    It looks like you've made browned butter. It's totally edible and delicious, but it means you left your butter on the heat for too long (maybe with the heat too high, too).
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Agreed with MissJecka. The heat should be fairly low. I just simmer the butter and it separates just fine. Takes maybe 15 minutes at most, at a guess.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

So its good to eat?

I wanted to make ghee as an experiment to see if i could use it in place of butter as dairy seems to give me gas. Will what I have here have less of an impact in that department?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Test:
    Stink your finger in it... taste it.

If it tastes like nutty yummy goodness... you've made browned butter. Strain and enjoy!
    If it tastes burnt, you've somehow manages to screw the pooch. I seriously doubt that this has occurred.

For Ghee stick to low and med-low heat... do NOT allow to brown.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Well as it cooled and solidified the color turned from that dark brown to a nice pretty golden brown.

is it ghee? or just browned butter? whatever it is I slathered it on an omelet and it was delicious. sort of tasted like unsweet caramel corn.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    When you pour it off you should leave the white/brown parts of milk protein behind. No harm, no foul.

As others have said, it looks like you did it too long and burnt th emilk proteins. I use the same sort of jug as you, but I do it by putting the jug in the oven on the lowest setting possible (about 50dC).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    When you just simmer for 15 minutes or so you are making clarified butter. By simmering for a long time until it is nice a golden brown you are making toasted ghee. Personally, I love ghee made golden brown like that. It has a lovely buttery/caramel taste that is fantastic. That being said, I think you were about 30 seconds away from burning the whole batch. I have done it, and ended up throwing it all out because the scorched taste was just too much for me. But I always toast my ghee now.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html