Thread: Grams of sugar? page

grecorosana is offline Junior Member

Grams of sugar?

Shop Now
    I have been tracking my carbs and just recently started paying attention to the grams of sugar I am consuming. I am into endurance sports so I have increased my carb intake to around 150-200 and started eating primal approved bars such as Larabars but they are packed with sugar! How much sugar should I be consuming in a day? I am female, 34 years young, 5'8" and 164lbs with 22%BF

Thanks!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Well, the sugar in larabars are from dried fruits... so it's not the worst stuff for you (but in excess it's not awesome for you either!). Check out the Fructose section of The Definitive Guide to Sugar | Mark's Daily Apple

Try replacing some of the larabars with other carbs like sweet potato, or make your own larabars using less dried fruit, more coconut, and better sticky stuff like blackstrap molasses.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Nady is online now Senior Member
    A little OT sorry~ do all Larabars contain dates? And can you taste them? Because I would try one, except I hate dates and can't quite get past the taste.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    A little OT sorry~ do all Larabars contain dates? And can you taste them? Because I would try one, except I hate dates and can't quite get past the taste.
    When I eat Larabars, I don't taste dates at all! Try banana nut bread, cashew cookie, key lime pie, any of the "cookie dough" ones, chocolate coconut... they're amazing; however, I enjoy making my own at home. My favorite recipe:

8 dates, pitted
    1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup raw almonds, soaked for a half hour and drained
    A drop or two of vanilla extract
    1/4 cup soy-free dairy-free chocolate chips (or super dark chocolate, broken into small pieces)

Put all of it (except chocolate) in a food processor and blend until it's sticky; if it's too dry, add some coconut oil or another date. Mix the chocolate in by hand and refrigerate it all for at least 5 minutes. Roll into balls, or flatten and cut into bars. This tastes just like cookie dough! Store leftovers in the fridge. I usually get 8-10 meatball-sized balls out of this.

Another option that does not include dates that I used to do but haven't tried in a while...

2 sun-dried bananas (if you are cool with microwaving, just split two bananas lengthwise, place on a plate, and microwave for 15-second intervals, until they are a bit shrivelled, brown, and sticky; however, nuts.com sells organic dried bananas for really cheap)
    1/2 to 2/3 cup unsweetened dried coconut
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup nuts of choice
    A drop or two of vanilla extract

Blend it all up in a food processor until it's sticky. If it's too liquidy-looking, add more coconut. Refrigerate for at least 5 minutes. Roll into balls, or flatten and cut into bars. I don't remember how many I usually yield from this recipe, sorry.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grecorosana View Post
    How much sugar should I be consuming in a day?!
    Can't give you a figure, but I'd suggest whole food sources are better than bars. I don't know these bars, but the other posts in the thread indicate the sugars are from dried fruit. And, yeah, they would have to be -- they wouldn't keep well on the shelf otherwise. That stuff, like fruit juice, can have crazy glycemic index numbers. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat the bars -- or shouldn't ever eat dried fruit, for the matter of that -- just that that's perhaps not best as a regular go-to.

Your other high-carb choices are basically fresh fruit or cooked roots and tubers. The former give you simple sugars (but with water and fiber); the latter starch (which breaks down to glucose).

An earlier post in the thread mentions sweet potatoes, which are a starchy food. Some people seem to have trouble dealing with starch, and for them fruit would be a better option. But if you've no GI issues from starch, then some sweet potatoes, squashes, etc., might be a better option. Either would be better than the commercial bars -- if not as convenient. You could buy a cheap portable glucometer and see what your blood-sugar is doing after consuming these different foods but maybe that's doing more than necessary.

Thank you all. I have included Larabars, Kindbars, sweet potatoes, quinoa and sometimes rice as higher carb options because I am training for triathlons. I have my carb consumption to 150-200 grms a day depending on the workout I have to do but the bars offer great flexibility as snack and recovery meal options. I also drink a sugar free protein shake with very little carbs after tough workouts. My question is in regards to sugar. I'd like to be able to know what would be the approximate number I need to shoot for now that I am adding these foods to my diet. I don't eat that much fruit on its own and the only refined sugar I consume on a regular basis is dark chocolate (70% or higher)

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    ... but the bars offer great flexibility ...
    There you go. That would be their advantage.

I don't think anyone could offer a definite number on sugars, because I doubt anyone's got reliable data on that.

What you could do is self-experiment -- vary the sources that you get your carbs from and see how you perform in each case. And, if it seems important enough, you could do the glucometer thing to see what's going on physiologically.

But maybe you'd even do better when in ketosis. Anaerobic activity, beyond a certain point, requires a fair belt of carbs. Slower steady-state exercise seems not to. Peter Attia looks to be doing fine cycling on a ketogenic diet. (And he's not the only one.) Here's his site:

The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

I tried training in ketosis and very low carb states and I was miserable. I have followed PB since October if 2011 and started endurance training in April 2012 refusing to eat any more than 50-70 grms of carbs a day... then I hit a wall and one day on our track session my coach pulled me aside because he told me I looked like if I was going to throw up, and then gave me a lecture on how I had to eat more (I was consuming about 1300-1500 cal a day) and that I needed more carbs, so I listened to him and started adding these foods. I just purchased the Paleo Diet for Endurance Athletes on Kindle and I am going to check The eating Academy. I guess I just have to keep exploring and see what works best, I'm also going to try making those yummy homemade bars!!!

Luce is offline Senior Member
    I tried training in ketosis and very low carb states and I was miserable. I have followed PB since October if 2011 and started endurance training in April 2012 refusing to eat any more than 50-70 grms of carbs a day... then I hit a wall and one day on our track session my coach pulled me aside because he told me I looked like if I was going to throw up, and then gave me a lecture on how I had to eat more (I was consuming about 1300-1500 cal a day) and that I needed more carbs, so I listened to him and started adding these foods. I just purchased the Paleo Diet for Endurance Athletes on Kindle and I am going to check The eating Academy. I guess I just have to keep exploring and see what works best, I'm also going to try making those yummy homemade bars!!!

When you are in a ketotic state your kidneys will handle sodium differently, then while training energy intake should sustain the activity level -lifting is not running. I'd up sodium intake if I were you, keeping carbs reasonably low and upping fat intake to fuel your performance.
    Low sodium equals real bad quality of life, is not ketosis but electrolytic imbalance, that nauseous feeling -you can always have a fast ph test and probably will present normal ph with some unexplained anion gap.
    If I get more than 20/30 grams of protein (depending on the source) I feel doomed as much as I would after a sacher cake.
    You just need to find your personal sweet spot and that implies some adjustments

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.