Thread: What is the main criticism of Dr. Weil? page

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member

What is the main criticism of Dr. Weil?

Shop Now
    What is the main criticism of Dr. Weil? I remember him from 10 years ago. Figured he was dead or retired. He was always an advocate of Pollan's mindset: Limit carbs, moderate portions, eat veggies. What's wrong with that? You need him to eat ONLY meat and lard for years like a Paleo/Atkins extremist?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    This is what I posted on the other thread:

Mostly I am just glad to see some of the more popular Drs coming onboard, thus my reason for initially posting. Just that some are coming out and saying that what we thought we knew, might not be the way it actually is. Which leads way to realizing that maybe other things arent as we thought also. So I am very glad to see that.

Dr. Weil is still onboard with grains as well as some other things. Here is his pyramid. Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid

I also wasnt so sure about taking his advice to heart because he seemed a little tubby to me, like Santa Claus. But I love Santa and Santa is pretty darn old, as is the good doctor (well not THAT old but older than I thought) so he must be doing something right
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Moochy is online now Senior Member
    That food pyramid shows you he is a high carb eater. He also woofs down soy and canola oil, both are less than optimal to ingest IMO. Oh but he does allow lean meat once a week. He is still a vegetarian at heart in my opinion trying to make his way to some animal flesh. He is very far removed from the diet Mark Sisson recommends.

What really puts me off about him is he has been and still is associated with PCRM. He is on the advisory board of the Vegan Avengers. Or as Anthony Bourdain calls vegans: The Hezbollah of vegetarianism. The morons are associated with the PETA retards.
    Last edited by Moochy; 08-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I have heard other health gurus refer to him in private as "fat andy". I have to agree that he really does not look all that fit & healthy, so I take what he says with a lot of skepticism. It might be all those grains he eats!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    That food pyramid shows you he is a high carb eater. He also woofs down soy and canola oil, both are less than optimal to ingest IMO. Oh but he does allow lean meat once a week.
    Interesting -- and surprising -- link. All in all, that's a pretty embarrassingly ignorant food-pyramid for a qualified MD to be promoting.

I mean you say "IMO" but that's actually not just your opinion. Kaayla Daniel has some hundreds of references on the problems connected with consuming industrial soy products -- like the soy "milk" he's got on the chart there.

I'll let him off limiting the consumption of meat -- although what's he's there thinking I don't know -- since he is recommending regular consumption of fish. But then if you must cut back on meat, why limit eggs and dairy?

I think that pyramid is still driven by the low-fat fear originally engendered by Ancel Keys, and this is why meat, eggs, and dairy are objects of suspicion to the man. But frankly that's a incompetent view in 2012.

Interestingly, it seems even Keys didn't eat that way himself. One of Sean Croxton's guests had a interesting anecdote of an elderly biologist he knows eating dinner in a restaurant with Keys. So Keys ordered a large steak, and the man said isn't that high in saturated fat. Apparently, Keys smiled a supercilious smile and said, "That's for the little people; that's not for me."

Sean Croxton, on being told this, just went "What???!!!??? .... he said that?"

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    What is the main criticism of Dr. Weil? I remember him from 10 years ago. Figured he was dead or retired. He was always an advocate of Pollan's mindset: Limit carbs, moderate portions, eat veggies. What's wrong with that? You need him to eat ONLY meat and lard for years like a Paleo/Atkins extremist?
    Who?

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    I don't really see that much criticism of him at all. Besides the trolls in the youtube comments you mock his weight.
    I think he gives fantastic general advice and has proven he isn't above changing his views on certain issues.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Ask Fallon/Enig.
    He recommends to cut fats to zero (more or less)
    Last edited by anna5; 08-24-2012 at 03:33 AM.

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Not a fan of "Fat Andy" until this he admited he was wrong on sat fat and supports Gary Taubes. You can see it if you youtube - gary taubes/larry king.

Also, in recent thread here on "Lard" , he actually promotes it.

It takes a lot of guts to admit you are wrong and then advocate something that was quite opposite of what you use to believe in.

For this, I highly respect him.

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Here's the article on Lard in Dr. W newsletter Lard Making a Comeback - Dr. Weil's Daily Tip

Pretty bold of him. Got to admire him for changing his old ways.