Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wasting food! page 3

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.
    That would be a great T Shirt
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cali798 View Post
    I remember when I was eating the CW way. I would buy fruits and veggies because I want to eat that way and I think it is healthy. Then I would get home and be to tired or it was too easy to eat processed food so the fruits and veggies would go to waste! Crazy!
    This was so me. It was my good motherly/wifely duty to buy all that, and then I never cooked at home, so I would throw it all out after a week, or two... or three.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Yup! Fish cheeks are the most delicious part...although I really love the eyes! Dang, that's some good stuff. Your family is originally from Africa? That's really neat. What other kinds of foods do they eat? My impression of African food is Ethiopan, like at the restaurants where you eat with your hands and scoop fillings onto breads....ignorant, I know >.>
    This is interesting. I "planted" a couple hundred fish in my pond this spring, but just not sure about that one yet. I grew up with fish, and I have had catfish cheeks but I have never ate, nor fixed, the eyes.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawyerchick12 View Post
    It is pretty ironic because in Canada a place like Macdonalds or Burger king will be called a poor man's food but it is the reverse there. The native traditional foods are extremely primal. Root Vegetables are the order of the day. We eat blended Cassava with a variety of different stews that are stacked with tons of green veggies and lots of different meat and organ meats. Kidneys, Liver is nothing to these people. Typical breafast lunch is fried plantain with eggs or yam porridges with fish. We define grassfed organic with our beef, poultry and eggs. We go to what we call the butcher's market to buy our meat and u literally see the "malams" leading the cow for slaughter. Its pretty cool to me but it is like everyday event to the locals who were raised in those parts.
    I am really jealous of what you have access to when you visit back home. I wish I could say the same for when I go back to China, but my immediate relatives are all part of the upper middle class, so I am used to local produce markets that sell things that are most likely sprayed with some kind of nasty pesticide. It's no wonder that all Chinese peel every fruit/vegetable they eat!

Hehe fit 108 year old grandma? That's what I'm aiming for I'm jealous of Africans in the respect that they can gain muscle mass so easily, and in the right places. I have pretty good genetics for a Chinese for that, but I still get jealous :P

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    This is interesting. I "planted" a couple hundred fish in my pond this spring, but just not sure about that one yet. I grew up with fish, and I have had catfish cheeks but I have never ate, nor fixed, the eyes.
    The fish eyes are really fatty and gelatinous, but the taste is very delicate. If you are perfectly fine eating a small piece of chicken fat without batting an eye, fish eyes should be far easier.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    ...without batting an eye.
    K, so long as they aren't batting at me any longer, I should be able to do it
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    K, so long as they aren't batting at me any longer, I should be able to do it
    Tehe! But they don't have eyelids

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I never thought about throwing food out, I was raised to finish my plate and not waste food. My mother would have a major fit if she saw me peel an apple too thick!

On the other hand...I am now an adult and feel so guilty about wasting food that I literally don't waste any...and it's starting to show on the scale. =P

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I find you can gnaw off the edges of bones.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Paleobird Guest
    Thank goodness I finally found a group of people in Primal who do this. People used to think I was weird from chewing on the ends of rotisserie chicken bones. Mmmm marrow....
    We had lamb shanks tonight and I sucked out the marrow and then gave the bones to the dog. He looked at me like, "Dangit, I wish she hadn't found Primal and figured out how good bone marrow is."

A dog is a great way to keep leftovers from going to waste. And he licks off the dishes so clean I'm not sure if they have already been washed or not.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-23-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Wasting bones? Make bone broth!

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    It is not ignorant at all! I was born in west africa, that is where my mom is from and they all eat with their hands! My rents still live there but I came here for boarding school in junior high and pretty much stayed to work a couple degrees later. So Canada is my home but I visit the "A" once a year to see my rents or they come here.

Anywho Their meals are pretty yummmy!!! They eat a lot of primal stuff. It is funny because in Nigeria, the amount of street people with just pure muscle mass and strength is astonishing. it is crazy the kind of heavy lifting these people do and how it is so like no big deal. The richer folks esp kids tend to be fatter and less fit because they can afford the "westernized" eateries that sell processing burgers and fries and drive their cars everywhere.

It is pretty ironic because in Canada a place like Macdonalds or Burger king will be called a poor man's food but it is the reverse there. The native traditional foods are extremely primal. Root Vegetables are the order of the day. We eat blended Cassava with a variety of different stews that are stacked with tons of green veggies and lots of different meat and organ meats. Kidneys, Liver is nothing to these people. Typical breafast lunch is fried plantain with eggs or yam porridges with fish. We define grassfed organic with our beef, poultry and eggs. We go to what we call the butcher's market to buy our meat and u literally see the "malams" leading the cow for slaughter. Its pretty cool to me but it is like everyday event to the locals who were raised in those parts.

We eat rice as well. but we rarely eat white potatoes, bread, pasta or its derivitatives. Our traditional desserts are almost always fruits like mangoes and papaya and we fry these coconut shreds with honey in butter.

I never really considered how primal traditional west african cusine was until a month ago and I was like "wow". It is no wonder my great gran is 108 years old and still goes to her little farm in the village. Now that's fit
    Fascinating stuff, thanks. And gran gran is 108!? Whoowee!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123