Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wasting food! page 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I sometimes waste food because I still haven't adjusted well to the reduced quantities I eat. I sometimes go a little too wild at the farmers market and bring home too much produce that's already ripe.
    I still have the occasional forgotten something in the bottom of the crisper. I always over do the bananas every week and have to toss some. My grandson likes chips but by the time I remember, they are pretty mushy. They are on sale this week though so I bought some for the purpose of flash freezing, for my yogurt. Will see how that works. I need to try it soon so I can go get some more before the sale ends. Might get some to dehydrate for my grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    What you don't eat, compost.
    I need to do that. I planted a garden this year so I could use extra for sure. I did throw out boxes of peaches and various other veggies that I bought at the produce auction and they went bad before I could do anything with them. The critters left me a pile of pits. We have had a tough tough summer, and winter will probably be even worse for the critters.

Leftover meats, I re-freeze after 2 days in the frig. I am getting better about not over doing the veggie sides, and also getting better about using them up for my meals.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I eat the bones! Keep them in the freezer and make bone broth. Sometimes ribs are soft enough to just chew up and eat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I eat the bones! Keep them in the freezer and make bone broth. Sometimes ribs are soft enough to just chew up and eat.
    Thank goodness I finally found a group of people in Primal who do this. People used to think I was weird from chewing on the ends of rotisserie chicken bones. Mmmm marrow....

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    I get a kick out of people that will heave leftovers at some arbitrary point, like 3 days.
    yeah, I never got (and never will get) people who throw out food at arbitrary points (like 3 days) because they read somewhere that it was the right thing to do... although I will admit to making an arbitrary temporary "7 days after it's been cooked" rule for meat after a REALLY gross rancid meat experience... but c'mon, use your nose, eyes, and intuition to figure out if the odd container of sludge is still okay to eat! If you're not sure, use temperatures that make it difficult for bacteria to survive when you prepare your meal.
    I just used several month old chicken stock - it smelled fine and it simmered for awhile, then went in the crockpot for 3 hours... it was FINE.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I hate hate hate throwing out food. It frustrates me so much. I just hate blatant waste - of money and nutrition.
    Yeah, I have a real issue with wasting food... even if it's not something I'd eat... I've been known to get really upset and angry when presented with a "treat" of something sugar that I have NO DESIRE to eat... and often one of the things that's said is "oh, c'mon, don't let it go to waste"... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I sometimes waste food because I still haven't adjusted well to the reduced quantities I eat. I sometimes go a little too wild at the farmers market and bring home too much produce that's already ripe.
    Yeah, this too... I've been known to go nuts at the farmer's market, and sometimes veggies go moldy/squishy sooner than I'd anticipated, which just sucks.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    well I do not waste food anymore because I do all my shopping now at overpriced wholefoods...smh...so I make sure I eat every ounce of my money's worth and I do not buy in large quantities anymore too.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Thank goodness I finally found a group of people in Primal who do this. People used to think I was weird from chewing on the ends of rotisserie chicken bones. Mmmm marrow....
    Chicken Bone Marrow is d Chiz-Niz! My West African Relatives always crack the bones of chickens after eating them. it is like some unspoken tradition to eat everything. Fish head pepper soup is another experience cuz they eat every single thing in the poor fish's head. I think some part of china have similar tradition.

cali798 is offline Junior Member
    I remember when I was eating the CW way. I would buy fruits and veggies because I want to eat that way and I think it is healthy. Then I would get home and be to tired or it was too easy to eat processed food so the fruits and veggies would go to waste! Crazy! Sometimes even over leftovers. Now of course nothing goes to waste, I shop every few days because I want it fresh and I never know what I will be in the mood for. But I cannot rely on that disgusting Frankin food and it forces me to eat well, besides I feel sooo much better. Anyway, this post reminded me of the times I did waste...sad but true.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Chicken Bone Marrow is d Chiz-Niz! My West African Relatives always crack the bones of chickens after eating them. it is like some unspoken tradition to eat everything. Fish head pepper soup is another experience cuz they eat every single thing in the poor fish's head. I think some part of china have similar tradition.
    Yup! Fish cheeks are the most delicious part...although I really love the eyes! Dang, that's some good stuff. Your family is originally from Africa? That's really neat. What other kinds of foods do they eat? My impression of African food is Ethiopan, like at the restaurants where you eat with your hands and scoop fillings onto breads....ignorant, I know >.>

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Yup! Fish cheeks are the most delicious part...although I really love the eyes! Dang, that's some good stuff. Your family is originally from Africa? That's really neat. What other kinds of foods do they eat? My impression of African food is Ethiopan, like at the restaurants where you eat with your hands and scoop fillings onto breads....ignorant, I know >.>
    It is not ignorant at all! I was born in west africa, that is where my mom is from and they all eat with their hands! My rents still live there but I came here for boarding school in junior high and pretty much stayed to work a couple degrees later. So Canada is my home but I visit the "A" once a year to see my rents or they come here.

Anywho Their meals are pretty yummmy!!! They eat a lot of primal stuff. It is funny because in Nigeria, the amount of street people with just pure muscle mass and strength is astonishing. it is crazy the kind of heavy lifting these people do and how it is so like no big deal. The richer folks esp kids tend to be fatter and less fit because they can afford the "westernized" eateries that sell processing burgers and fries and drive their cars everywhere.

It is pretty ironic because in Canada a place like Macdonalds or Burger king will be called a poor man's food but it is the reverse there. The native traditional foods are extremely primal. Root Vegetables are the order of the day. We eat blended Cassava with a variety of different stews that are stacked with tons of green veggies and lots of different meat and organ meats. Kidneys, Liver is nothing to these people. Typical breafast lunch is fried plantain with eggs or yam porridges with fish. We define grassfed organic with our beef, poultry and eggs. We go to what we call the butcher's market to buy our meat and u literally see the "malams" leading the cow for slaughter. Its pretty cool to me but it is like everyday event to the locals who were raised in those parts.

We eat rice as well. but we rarely eat white potatoes, bread, pasta or its derivitatives. Our traditional desserts are almost always fruits like mangoes and papaya and we fry these coconut shreds with honey in butter.

I never really considered how primal traditional west african cusine was until a month ago and I was like "wow". It is no wonder my great gran is 108 years old and still goes to her little farm in the village. Now that's fit

Luce is offline Senior Member
    No waste in here, I convinced the butcher to save bones and other unwanted parts for me.
    Funny thing is old ladies look at me as if I was some beggar girl down the street and then I realize I have to beg to get bones and knuckles for my joint saving broth.
    Fruit skins and seeds (when compatible) end up in the broth pot, as do veg "waste", when I'm done cooking and they are done eating there's not much of a waste left.

i'd like to find a way to deal with less packaging though.

Luce
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast