Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epic "Failure" (Confession) page 2

PriFrance is offline Member
    Shop Now
    dont get back on the wagon, its not a primal means of transportation, just eat the horse
    "The mountains are calling me, I must go"

"don't let school get in the way of your education"

Shameless Everest/Himalaya hiking company plug http://goodkarmatrek.com/

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I agree with everyone else. We are human, and sometimes we do things that aren't good for us. You didn't "fail", you can't "fail", you just made a foray back into SAD.

Do journal. It's a great way to look back at how you felt, what you ate, and helping to get you back on the "Primal" track.

Good luck!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokdaddy View Post
    I don't know how much swithcing shifts (from days to graves) can affect your eating, excercise, etc. Most of this time I was eating 50% primal until last week.
    Your biggest FAIL is your thinking. Primal is not only about diet and food, it's about sleep, breathing, playing, seasonality, and making good choices. Eating 50% primal while on rotating shifts is a recipe for disaster. If you are a shift worker and can't change that, then you should be eating 100% primal and doing everything in your power to minimize problems caused by your circadian mismatches, like wearing blueblocker sunglasses, taking melatonin if appropriate, getting a good set of labs to determine deficiencies and hormone status. Eating a couple steaks and then a loaf of bread and 3 Cokes is not 50% PB--it's ZERO %.

Wildwoods is offline Junior Member
    I sympathise. Blame the environment..... by that I mean that we are unconsciously predisposed to harmonise with our environment, and when all that surrounds us is SAD, then it takes constant effort, vigilance and practically, lots of planning ahead to be able to remain on track. Working nights will take so much of your energy and screw up your body clock, one of the first casualties will be your ability to uphold your 'differentness' from the world around you.
    watching TV tonight, bombarded with adverts, EVERY one of the food related ones, SAD SAD ....... be proud that you ever achieve anything Primal - you are one of only a few who have woken up to the mutation of the modern world.... and a few steps backwards only serve to remind us how fabulous it is to eat as our bodies would like us to.

WW :-)

Wildwoods is offline Junior Member
    Of course- am in the UK - it just occurred to me, rather hilariously, that the highly appropriate 'SAD' abbreviation, is quite nicely partnered by our version across the pond of 'SUCKD' - hahahahaha!!!

WW :-D

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Working a graveyard shift is a HUGE factor in your health and eating habits. There are lots of studies out there that show that overnight workers have a higher incidence of obesity, diabetes, all kinds of health issues. Been there, done that for a number of years.

Someone else gave great advice about the blueblocker glasses, melatonin, etc. You have to be extra vigilant about making sure you get enough sleep (which some days is almost impossible no matter what you try, I know) and you have to be even more careful about your food intake. Again, you've found this out the hard way.

Eat extra cleanly this coming week and go as low carb as you can - that always works for me when I've gone off the wagon a bit and I need to sort of refresh myself.

You're going to need to be hypervigilant about making sure you have your meals with you at work or if you don't get a chance to have a sit down meal, make sure you have primal finger foods like jerkey, raw nuts, grapes - anything that's easy to throw in a backpack and eat on the run.

I worked graveyards in a hotel for years and I can't tell you how many pizzas I ordered because I didn't get a chance to pack dinner and that was the only option at 1 am.

You can do it. Good luck to you.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwoods View Post
    Of course- am in the UK - it just occurred to me, rather hilariously, that the highly appropriate 'SAD' abbreviation, is quite nicely partnered by our version across the pond of 'SUCKD' - hahahahaha!!!

WW :-D
    Took me a while to realise what you meant - it's been a long day.
    Pedantic I know but wouldn't it be SUKD. I can't think what the C in SUCKD is. There again have always been rubbish at things like scrabble so maybe I am just being thick.

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks all. Since starting the thread I have been full speed ahead. I weighed myself the other morning (I know I know) just to see if the "magic" was working and I had already lost like 5 pounds! Temptations are still there but everyday it's getting easier to avoid them. Tonight at work there was one more coconut macaroon left. I absolutely love anything coconut especially macaroons. Well I looked at it, imagined what it tasted like and made no effort to devour it in a nano second. As far as working nights. This is my last week on graves until next summer so I'll be back on a normal people schedule very soon. Thanks for the support.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12