Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do AFTER you eat? page 2

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Not sure about what to do after, but from what I've read there is some things you can do before eating:
    1/ make sure you hydrate well more than 30 min before, better 1 hour so you don't drink anything with meal or immediately after, this will ensure you do not dilute stomach acid and enzymes when you start eating, your stomach will add as much fluid as it needs to.
    2/ 15-20 min before the main meal, prepare and consume a small plate of bitter, sour foods, dried meats etc., just nibbles not enough for a meal, this will stimulate the digestive and many of the soured, cured foods meat & veg have bacteria that will make it past the stomach before the full on acid onslaught, this will help propogate your microbiota and prepare the entire digestive tract for the coming meal.
    3/Eat the main meal at a slower pace, stretch it out to atleast 30 min so that you're stomach can keep pace with your mouth and also allow it to tell you when it is full.
    4/About an hour after eating do some light movement, a walk (stroll) around the block, this is not cardio, just some light movement and letting gravity help the small intestine move the food through to the colon.
    5/ That's about all I can think of, now just sit back, settle down and go to bed when ready.
    +1. I was going to say something similar, especially about the bitter foods to start proper digestion. I like to eat a small amount of ground fenugreek before I eat. It really does seem to stimulate the digestive juices so to speak.

Also, I think broth has a pretty solid reputation for being good for your gut.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Drinking water will Dilute your stomach acid and make digestion slower.

stumprrp is offline Member
    I usually sit on my fat ass and watch TV, or go out somewhere lol.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Well, if it is bacon, I am IBFing. Have to live up to the hype, ya know.

Actually, I usually eat two meals. So after lunch, I have to do my regular stuff. I try to do any workouts in the morning while still fasted but sometimes that turns into afternoon. My dinner meal is just a few hours away from bedtime usually, so we don't do much but wind down (and I am usually reading stuff right here) although it probably would be a good idea to do some elliptical then (I use that instead of walking) but I just never think about it then.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Drinking water will Dilute your stomach acid and make digestion slower.
    For some reason, since I started eating Primal (some 18 mths. ago) I have no desire to drink liquids with my meals. Prior to that on SAD, I'd drink a huge diet soda or something. Maybe that's what happens to most people who actually eat real food, no drinking while eating. The way it's supposed to be.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Pretty much what's already been said. I have some fermented foods with each meal, keep the liquids to a minimum-I make sure to drink a big glass of water an hour before a meal, and go for a slow walk after.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    For some reason, since I started eating Primal (some 18 mths. ago) I have no desire to drink liquids with my meals. Prior to that on SAD, I'd drink a huge diet soda or something. Maybe that's what happens to most people who actually eat real food, no drinking while eating. The way it's supposed to be.
    I've never been much of a drinker, period. I always used to joke around in college that I was "perpetually dehydrated" as I would go DAYS without drinking anything but coffee (and by "coffee" I mean a grande iced caramel frappucino with whipped cream and extra caramel every morning...). Even when I was living the SAD life and counting calories, eating "healthy", etc. and losing weight, I struggled to get the 8-a-day of H2O.

Since cutting wheat and other garbage, I started drinking more water and found it easier to do so. I still have my coffee every weekday morning (this time it's freshly-ground and BLACK!) but after my first meal (I, too, eat only twice a day like gopintos) I only drink water or seltzer, and after my second meal I drink at least one big mason jar full of icewater. (I just realized I don't drink with my meals, but always after. Hmm.) Feeling hydrated before bed makes me less dehydrated, hungry, or thirsty in the morning, I found.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I use to drink lots with my meals. Lots. And not much the rest of the day. Now I am just the opposite. The glass that I get with my dinner meal, I drink the majority of it after my meal also, and this is my last for the evening, so I am not up all night going to the bathroom.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    On my 24 fast days I eat then go to bed an hour or so later. I think this does just fine for digestion.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Usually burp and/or fart. Wipe my face on my shirt sleeve and motion for my wife to clear the table because I am finished.

Then I suit up, equip my lance and prepare for jousting.
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 08-23-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast