Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet potato fries... and pork chops? page

Kylex286 is offline Member

Question Sweet potato fries... and pork chops?

Shop Now
    Okay, so I am trying to cook my family a primal meal tonight and I decided to make pork chops "http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grokfeast-in-joliet-illinois/#axzz24JnBJUIx" and sweet potato fries. My first question is can I substitute coconut oil for the olive oil, or is olive oil absolutely necessary?

Secondly, I have never made home made fries before so I am not quite sure how to go about doing it. Does any one have a explanation on how I would go about making homemade sweet potato fries?

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Use whatever oil you like. I usually use bacon drippings, sometimes lard, whatever. Cut into fry sized wedges, coat with the oil, sprinkle on any seasonings you'll be using, spread out on a cookie sheet and pop in the oven. At 375-400, IIRC. It's been a while. Turn them over after about 20 minutes and return to the oven for around another 20. I like them with horseradish sauce which I make with sour cream, horseradish, a squeeze of lemon and a bit of salt.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    I pan fry(cast iron) mine in said fat(bacon grease, butter, coconut oil/cream), on med high heat until golden. Enjoy:-)
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Thanks! They're in the oven now so we'll see how the come out!

MrsJenx is offline Junior Member
    How did they turn out? I made sweet potato fries last night too. Tossed the sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, garlic powder and cayenne. Roasted at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring once. Mine turned out really nicely!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah- I just oven bake mine with a bit of oil. YUM!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I use olive oil, too. Cut up the sweet potatoes, put them in a tupperware or ziploc bag with olive oil and some spices (garlic powder is present in all of my food, I swear), shake it up, and bake it for something like 15 minutes or so (depending on the size I cut the 'taters that day; I'm not exactly consistent...).
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    I think it makes a difference to have the pan in the oven so that one side gets quite dark and crispy from the pan heat, rather than squishy.

Sprinkling with cinnamon is devine.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsJenx View Post
    How did they turn out? I made sweet potato fries last night too. Tossed the sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, garlic powder and cayenne. Roasted at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring once. Mine turned out really nicely!
    They turned out alright. 006.jpg
    I cut some of them too thin so they ended up burning,But the non-burnt ones were very good. Cruncy on the inside, chewy in the middle. Just how they should be!

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Yep, I use olive oil, too. Cut up the sweet potatoes, put them in a tupperware or ziploc bag with olive oil and some spices (garlic powder is present in all of my food, I swear), shake it up, and bake it for something like 15 minutes or so (depending on the size I cut the 'taters that day; I'm not exactly consistent...).
    I did not even think of using garlic powder... That sounds amazing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast