Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bicycle page

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member

New Bicycle

Primal Fuel
    Just bought a new bike!

I rode it home (30 min), first time in about 15 years I've been on a bike. Starting to move my body more, so that is exciting. My two sons who ride fixed gear bikes are stoked for their mother too, although they think I should convert it.

bike.jpg
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Gratz!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Good for you!

Fixies are for hardcore people IMO. Give yourself some time to get used to being on two wheels and figure out what you like before you go that route, is my advice.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Good for you!

Fixies are for hardcore people IMO. Give yourself some time to get used to being on two wheels and figure out what you like before you go that route, is my advice.

Believe me I have seen how they ride theirs and there is no way I will ever ride a fixie.

I have nightmares that one of them in particular is riding around Vancouver like one of these people:
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 08-22-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    Nice bike!

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I'm looking for a new bike.

What "type" of bike is this considered to be, a hybrid? I'm mostly planning to use it for paved stuff (street, side walk), but I want to be able to go a bit off-road without breaking the bike. I assume "hybrids" are the standards, right?

Actually I don't know if it's a hybrid or not. It's a Kona Firemountain. I don't think it's a bike for a professional mountain biker, but it's good for trails and we have lots of those around here (mountains too and maybe I will try those someday). I also plan on riding it on the road and so I like the fat tires because they assure me that they will not fit in the holes of a storm drain. It's not an ultra fast bike, but it was fine to ride home!

I did "test-ride" on a bike that was less suited to trails. It was lighter and the tires were narrower, but not as narrow as a road bike, and the guy told me it would also be fine on the trails. That bike was a lot faster. Maybe it was a hybrid...?...

As you can tell, I don't know enough to help much.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Actually I don't know if it's a hybrid or not. It's a Kona Firemountain. I don't think it's a bike for a professional mountain biker, but it's good for trails and we have lots of those around here (mountains too and maybe I will try those someday). I also plan on riding it on the road and so I like the fat tires because they assure me that they will not fit in the holes of a storm drain. It's not an ultra fast bike, but it was fine to ride home!
    Your assumption is correct. Your bike is a conventional Mountain Bike design with 26 inch tires. Hybrids often have a frame quite similar to a mountain bike but usually utilize 700c tires. The Specialized Crosstrail or the Trek 7 FX series are prototypical hybrid style bikes commonly sold in America.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Yep, that's an entry level mountain bike. It should serve you well. If you plan to try the mountains spend a good amount of time on the flats first. That will toughen up your joints and ligaments. And also, if you plan to climb, keep the gears. Better pedals, like shimano clipless will also improve your experience a lot. Have fun.

Editing to add that I just noticed your location, you're in a mountain bike heaven, wow.
    Last edited by Tercio; 08-23-2012 at 12:06 AM.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's mine:

Dawg by johnmjoy, on Flickr

Likewise, I'm just getting back into riding this year. I bought the bike back in... 2005? Rode it only a few times before letting my health and physical condition go downhill. This spring, I brought it in to the shop for a general tuneup and new front inner tube, and the guys there said they've never seen a Dawg of that vintage in such great shape. Pretty embarrasing, actually. (Paleo/primal since February, so now I take it out almost every weekend.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast