Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Bicycle page 3

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    Looks nice! I want a new bike as well, just noticed a big fracture in the fork of my 10-12 year old mountain bike. It should probably be replaced soon, as I use the bike daily.
    If your fork has a large crack you ought not ride it, it can fail catastrophically and cause serious injury. You could just replace it.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    We bought new bikes the other week. I bought a hybrid as the bike shop man told me it would be comfier as I would be sitting more upright.
    Not sure I have made the right decision after riding a local flat trail. I think I prefer riding mountain bikes, they have better suspension and the tyres seem to grip better. My hybrid is fine on flat roads.

MrsJenx is offline Junior Member
    I bought a new bike two weeks ago, too! I am loving it. I ride it on flatter areas and I consider the time on my bike my play time. Mine is a road leaning hybrid - a Specialized Crossroad. No suspension in the front fork, but a seat that gives. It has a pretty light frame, but has an upright seating position thats more comfy for me. I'm branching out now and checking out the trails in my area this weekend.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    Looks nice! I want a new bike as well, just noticed a big fracture in the fork of my 10-12 year old mountain bike. It should probably be replaced soon, as I use the bike daily.
    It should be replaced before riding the bike again, if you like your face configured the way it is now... but hey, if random bodily rearrangement is your thing...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Bikes are sexy! I love riding and have been an ultra cyclist for years. Please wear a helmet, and if the frame has a crack in it - replace it before you kill yourself. Cyclists are sexy!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Ok nice choice on the kona they are a well made brand but I might suggest a few things,

1. get a woman's seat, mens seats are built for mens butts and they are too narrow for your backside geometry.

2. if you dont plan to always be on the trails, get road slicks instead of nobbies. The nobbies are actually a huge drain on riding on road and you can avoid holes and drains, you dont have to drive over them. Also nobbies give terrible traction on ceement and you can slide out easier while cornering as you have very little road contact. I use Continental tires, they have great half road half light trail tires that go everywhere well. Tioga city slickers or kenda brand or specialized brands are good.

3. in a month take the bike back and have them tune it up, should be free.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Ok nice choice on the kona they are a well made brand but I might suggest a few things,

1. get a woman's seat, mens seats are built for mens butts and they are too narrow for your backside geometry.

2. if you dont plan to always be on the trails, get road slicks instead of nobbies. The nobbies are actually a huge drain on riding on road and you can avoid holes and drains, you dont have to drive over them. Also nobbies give terrible traction on ceement and you can slide out easier while cornering as you have very little road contact. I use Continental tires, they have great half road half light trail tires that go everywhere well. Tioga city slickers or kenda brand or specialized brands are good.

3. in a month take the bike back and have them tune it up, should be free.
    Thanks for your advice! I went to the shop today and had the handle bar raised a bit, and changed out the seat for a woman's seat. And best of all, today I rode up the hill to our house without getting off the bike.
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 08-29-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    yeah I did that the other day for the first time since I bunged my knee. feels good dont it?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Nice thread!

This is what I'm riding around Amsterdam. I guess it is a regular mountain bike; it was the first cheap, short-person's bike I could find so I snatched it up. Now that I'm more comfortable on it I think I will raise the seat some.

The chain makes awful noises sometimes and switches gears on its own, but it's working well enough.
    Took it on a 2+ hour ride to the beach yesterday!
    (Hopefully I will replace the seat with a comfier one once I have money to spend. I was feelin' it yesterday).

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    yeah I did that the other day for the first time since I bunged my knee. feels good dont it?

feels awesome! There's definitely something to this exercise thing.

What's funny about that is that I used to be in the military and "boot camp" got me into the best shape I've ever been in, and I loved it. I don't know why I stopped moving my body so much, but somehow I did. So the cycling is a good way to begin again I think.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast