Thread: HELP! - Confused on how to measure the "grams" in macronutientshttp://www.m page

jqlauren is offline Junior Member

HELP! - Confused on how to measure the "grams" in macronutientshttp://www.m

Primal Fuel
    I can't seem to find an answer to measuring the the # of grams/calories of the specific macro-nutrient in a serving, versus just measuring the total grams/calories of the item.

Example: 1 large egg weighs 50g/ 70 calories; with 6 grams of protein which would = 24 calories protein per egg

So if I am trying to lose fat with PB and using Mark's guidelines, do I count the protein calories of the entire egg or just the protein calories in order to reach my daily goals. The same can be applied to carbs and many (not all) of the fats --

Any help on this would be most appreciated!

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    fitday.com Register for free and start adding your food ...it'll tell you # grams of protein; # grams fat and # grams carbs.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, there ae several such sites. I use SparkPeople but I've also heard good things about Chron-o-Meter and I like the Livestrong database for things like grassfed meats.

Try a few and see which one feels easiest to you.

I have gone on the sites - what I am trying to figure out is when I calculate my daily calorie intake goals based on grams of protein/ carb/fat - do I base it on the total calories of a protein food ( that also contains non-protein calories?) or do I count my caloric intake based only on the number of actual protein calories in the item - see egg example. Do I count 70 calories which is the amt of the entire egg towards just protein , or do I break it down and count 24 calories of protein and then whatever number of calories of fat towards my daily fat intake goals.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jqlauren View Post
    I have gone on the sites - what I am trying to figure out is when I calculate my daily calorie intake goals based on grams of protein/ carb/fat - do I base it on the total calories of a protein food ( that also contains non-protein calories?) or do I count my caloric intake based only on the number of actual protein calories in the item - see egg example. Do I count 70 calories which is the amt of the entire egg towards just protein , or do I break it down and count 24 calories of protein and then whatever number of calories of fat towards my daily fat intake goals.
    Oh, I see what you mean. You break each food down into the three macro components in grams. Then when you are figuring calories, 1gr carb=4 calories, same for protein, and 1gr fat=9 calories.
    The ratios people quote, like I do a 70%fat/20%protein/10%carb diet are based on the percentage of the total calories for the day made up by each of the three macros.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Quick piece of advice: Be careful with some of those sites when searching for data. Some of them let the users enter whatever they want and you can get some really bad data. I know I've seen lots of bad data from myfitnesspal, and sometimes that data seems to get copied by others.
    -Chuck

Okay - thanks. I often weigh my food - and I know that 100g of chicken weighed, is not equal to 100g of chicken protein- I think a 3.5 oz serving has Approx 30g of protein. So I am clear I understand. I count the 30 grams of protein (30x4) = to 120 calories of protein towards my total protein total of 70g per day or 284 calories, yes?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jqlauren View Post
    Okay - thanks. I often weigh my food - and I know that 100g of chicken weighed, is not equal to 100g of chicken protein- I think a 3.5 oz serving has Approx 30g of protein. So I am clear I understand. I count the 30 grams of protein (30x4) = to 120 calories of protein towards my total protein total of 70g per day or 284 calories, yes?
    Yes. You got it. Happy counting.

AussieNana is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    A large egg weighs 50g??? A large egg here weighs 100g - and one last week weighed 118g - poor hen. A small egg weighs 50g. Or is it formally called a large egg at 50g where you live?

I really find this whole way of doing things very confusing. Fitday.com took my data and froze the page so I wasn't able to do anything with it.