Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IF - Catabolic state or HGH release page

jackson44 is offline Senior Member

IF - Catabolic state or HGH release

Primal Fuel
    I am new to IF and have a question that I'm sure has been discussed before on this site. I always thought that skipping a meal (especially breakfast)puts your body in catabolic state and slows down your metabolism. However, I'm now reading that training while in fasting state stimulates HGH.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Jack

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    IF doesn't put you catabolic state or it doesn't stimulate HGH?

Which one?
    thanks

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    No serious catabolism in one or two or even three days of fasting. Check out Mark's blog posts on this subject by searching the bigger search bar on the top of the homepage.

Fasting only helps me add muscle! One meal a day is plenty for many people, especially males.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson44 View Post
    I am new to IF and have a question that I'm sure has been discussed before on this site. I always thought that skipping a meal (especially breakfast)puts your body in catabolic state and slows down your metabolism.
    Seems legit; I mean you must eat every three hours to stoke the metabolic fire, right? I think you should also start setting your alarm at three hour intervals throughout the night so you don't risk sleeping for more than three hours without a meal as this could be disastrous due to large amounts of muscle catabolism which occur during sleep (which is technically a fast, after all)...

I imagine that if you do this, you'll be tight, thick, and swole in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson44 View Post
    IF doesn't put you catabolic state or it doesn't stimulate HGH?

Which one?
    thanks
    It's not catabolic (short-term < ~72 hours) and fasting stimulates growth hormone production (promotes beta-oxidation "fat burning"). The whole point in the growth hormone increase is to preserve lean muscle while in the fasted state.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Seems legit; I mean you must eat every three hours to stoke the metabolic fire, right? I think you should also start setting your alarm at three hour intervals throughout the night so you don't risk sleeping for more than three hours without a meal as this could be disastrous due to large amounts of muscle catabolism which occur during sleep (which is technically a fast, after all)...

I imagine that if you do this, you'll be tight, thick, and swole in a couple of weeks.
    oh man, I've been doing it so wrong...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Same for blinking! Keep your eyes closed too long, and your eyes will atrophy! It's proven!

But, with all due respect, this is a great question. I hope you will try intermittent fasting! The first couple of days, even if you are already a fat-burner, can be a challenge. But by the end of week one it's smooth sailing for most. That's for the one-meal-a-day version of IF, which I hold dear.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post

Don't forget your tupperware, bro!!!

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Don't forget your tupperware, bro!!!
    Packing ten deep today...once I went 3:01 without food and lost an inch from my biceps. True story...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast