Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: IF - Catabolic state or HGH release page 4

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    Omni that is very interesting, thanks for posting that. At the moment i am intermittent fasting on a 20:4 ratio. i usually eat from 8pm to 12am. would you recommend i change that to 4-8pm? or would it eating 8pm-12am just shift the cycle.
    (By the way, that video is incredible, everyone should check it out if they haven't)
    As I understand it, there are ideal circadian and other cyclic processes that occur within our bodies, but we are quite adaptable and function very well so long as we don't drift too far from the ideal. As far as sleep cycle goes it seems like the norm is a waking time somewhere between 5am & 9am, some people are naturally early risers, some late and the rest are somewhere inbetween, anyone outside of that would need to consider a possible circadian disturbance. If you calculate back by 8 hours that gives you a bed time of between 9pm to 1am, now you should never go to bed with food in your stomach, so the last food should pass your lips a minimum of 2 hours before going horizontal, that allows time for the stomach to process it and transfer it to the small intestine, so that would give you your last bite of food somewhere between 7pm and 11pm depending on your bed time.
    So regarding your 4 hour eating window that could be anywhere between 3pm to 11pm depending on whether you are an early or late riser, the main thing is that you allow 2-4 hours for your stomach to process and transfer food to the small intestine before going to sleep.

I am a mid to early riser and generally have my main meal between 5pm & 7pm, sometimes maybe a top up snack around 8pm to 9pm and hit the sack between 10pm to 12pm and I wake most mornings around 6am to 7am.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumprrp View Post
    I do IF but its not very long usually skipping breakfast and eating at 12. I cant go any longer. This whole 1 meal a day thing seems MUCH to little for a 200 lb male unless your really able to eat 2000 calories in one meal. Ive done 2 meals with a shake but could never manage 1 meal. Arent you people hungry? lol.

I think IF is a great way to lose some pounds.
    I'm a 200lb male who only eats a single meal a day.

The secret is to have two platefuls of the meal, and follow it up with dessert. My current dessert is 1-2 bananas with dark chocolate and 2-300 ml of cream. I feel pretty full after that.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    now you should never go to bed with food in your stomach, so the last food should pass your lips a minimum of 2 hours before going horizontal, that allows time for the stomach to process it and transfer it to the small intestine, so that would give you your last bite of food somewhere between 7pm and 11pm depending on your bed time.
    We do not require gravity to move our food. I have often eaten right before bed. No problem. Unless it's junk food and the body starts barfing in my mouth in protest.

Also, I'm naturally nocturnal. Throw that wrench into your gears and I get to eat whenever I want.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    We do not require gravity to move our food. I have often eaten right before bed. No problem. Unless it's junk food and the body starts barfing in my mouth in protest.

Also, I'm naturally nocturnal. Throw that wrench into your gears and I get to eat whenever I want.
    You may well be a very special individual, but most people fit somewhere around the standard, there have been plenty of times I have hit the sack immediately after eating too, but that doesnt mean it is the healthiest habit.

It's just some of the common factors and behaviours that I have seen in all the bits of reading about health & longevity, I don't have any scientific data to confirm this, but there does seem to be some common behaviours that lean in that direction.

I somehow doubt that the absence of digestive trouble is unique. Nor are nocturnal people uncommon. Sorry if I seem contrary. I'm just not convinced there's anything even a little bit wrong with eating before bed.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    "now you should never go to bed with food in your stomach"
    Sorry, didn't see this before. People can drink a glass of water while standing on their heads. People can be bedridden for months while eating all of their food orally. What's the basis for your assertion?

Of course if it said "you should never go to sleep without orgasming" I think that this is sensible advice any reasonable person would regard as self-evident.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    "now you should never go to bed with food in your stomach"
    Sorry, didn't see this before. People can drink a glass of water while standing on their heads. People can be bedridden for months while eating all of their food orally. What's the basis for your assertion?

Of course if it said "you should never go to sleep without orgasming" I think that this is sensible advice any reasonable person would regard as self-evident.
    Glad you asked me, had to go find a reason my self, as all I had was the general advice I had been given.
    Well the stomach most likely has the oesophageal sphinctre at the top so it only needs to deal with the odd acid splash and is not meant to be submerged in acid, we can eat horizontally and even upside down but that doesn't mean it is the healthiest way. There is this thing called silent reflux, which may well be the cause of a lot of sleeping disorders and "Morning Breath", there are no obvious symptoms of heartburn though. This repeated exposure to stomach acid may damage the Oesophogeal lining enough to cause Barretts syndrome, :Barrett's Esophagus - National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse, which may develop into cancer or Bronchiectasis: Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux in Noncystic Fibrosis Bronchiectasis, I also read about some associations with Sleep Apnea.
    It apears the easiest way to minimise risk is to ensure you don't go to sleep (horizontal) with a full stomach. I am not sure what overall risk in the general population is, but it sounds like a simple action to eliminate another potential health risk.

Silent Acid Reflux
    Sometimes people do not realize that acid reflux is a problem for them. This may be referred to as silent acid reflux. A prescribed silent acid reflux remedy may be no different from those prescribed for common acid reflux, but diagnosis is sometimes more difficult.

Many people believe that heartburn and acid reflux are synonymous, but in silent acid reflux, heartburn is frequently not a symptom. It may seem strange that a silent acid reflux remedy may be an antacid or other medication to prevent or reduce stomach acid, because most people think of these as heartburn remedies. But, silent acid reflux is caused by the same stomach acid that causes heartburn.

There are two different sets of sphincter muscles that normally allow food and drink to pass into the stomach and prevent stomach acid from backing up into the esophagus. Sometimes the lower set of muscles does not do the job and the stomach acid passes back up into the lower esophagus only. The lower esophagus is less sensitive to the stomach acid than is the upper esophagus, so symptoms of heartburn or those commonly associated with acid reflux may not be present. A set of different symptoms is what usually leads people to seek a doctor's help and an acid reflux remedy is often prescribed.

The symptoms of silent acid reflux may include hoarseness or trouble talking, particularly in the morning. These symptoms are caused by stomach acid reaching and irritating the voice box. People sometimes have difficulty swallowing or excess mucus in the throat and possibly drainage from the sinuses. They may feel the need to clear their throats often or cough frequently. Because it is stomach acid that causes the symptoms, an effective silent acid reflux remedy reduces or prevents excess stomach acid.

A recent study suggests that silent acid reflux may be the cause of sleep disturbances in many people. In the study published by the American College of Gastroenterology in October 2005, 26% of the 81 patients who participated in the study suffered from silent acid reflux. This reflux caused periods of wakefulness and symptoms similar to sleep apnea. Even chronic snoring may be a result of silent acid reflux. Remedy recommended included raising the head of the bed, eating the last meal at least three hours before bedtime and avoiding alcohol in the evening. Avoiding tobacco products may also be an effective silent acid reflux remedy.

Sounds like fat people problems to me.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

stumprrp is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I'm a 200lb male who only eats a single meal a day.

The secret is to have two platefuls of the meal, and follow it up with dessert. My current dessert is 1-2 bananas with dark chocolate and 2-300 ml of cream. I feel pretty full after that.
    Theres no way man. Especially after a training session where i could eat everything in sight. Ive been TRYING to do 16-8 but sometimes its 14-10. By 10:30 after finishing eating at 8 or 9 the hunger is horrible so ill usually down 4-5 glasses of water to try to mask it.

Its not for everyone like someone stated, but if you can do it more power to you!

PS - that dessert sounds damn good.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumprrp View Post
    so ill usually down 4-5 glasses of water to try to mask it.
    I would be up all night going to the bathroom
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast