Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Referring to oneself as "Primal" page

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member

Referring to oneself as "Primal"

Shop Now
    I don't know why this word has started to grind on me but lately I get the same negative connotation from primal as I do from vegan. I start thinking of Heaven's Gate...

Anyone else feel this way?
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Not really. I don't think of myself as Primal or Paleo as my diet, whilst being Paleo-influenced, incorporates more modern foods that are either neutral or beneficial.

But the main difference between veganism and Paleoism is that the latter has vastly superior nutrition and is more clued up about the effects of meat.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    I don't know why this word has started to grind on me but lately I get the same negative connotation from primal as I do from vegan. I start thinking of Heaven's Gate...

But if you don't refer to yourself as Primal you'll never progress to the sacred inner circle and be initiated into the secret truth to immortality.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I've tried a lot of different explanations. Lately, I've been saying I only eat people food. You know, what humans eat. Not fake stuff. But I do freely point people here, and often say I'm high-fat paleo or Primal, per Mark Sisson.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I used primal for a while, but as it became popular with the bandwagon crash dieters, I've moved away from it Nowadays, if directly asked, I say "I eat healthy and try oo remember to workout." If pressed, I'll say "my body doesn't like grains, beans or soy, and I'm allergic to cottonseed oil, so it's mostly meats, veggies, fruits, nuts and healthy oils."
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

gregpoole is offline Member
    I just tell people that I finally figured out what works best for me, if they keep asking I send them to this site. I did use primal and paleo for a while but just to many negative response from everyone.

Just tried of people saying I can't do that!
    You are what you eat, so only eat the best!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i dont usually refer to myself as primal.

my siggy says it all, but that is just for us chickens

I am Jonathan, Apex Predator, Lion of the Atreides, First of his name, Lord of Outer-night, by the Grace of God Emperor of the Known and Unknown Realms.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post

I guess it's just a brand-name for the book and website. Works for that purpose.

If you don't like "paleo" as a label, since the PB is a variant on that, then I guess you could say you eat an Ancestral Diet. The WAPF have used that term, and the AHS obviously uses the label "Ancestral". Or you could say "a hunter-gatherer type diet". Or perhaps you could just take a leaf out of Sean Croxton's book and say you "JERF" -- just eat real food.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I like calling what I do "Primal" on message boards because it signifies two things about the way I eat that is different than current paleo....

1. I do eat dairy.
    2. I still adhere to a low carb version and consider it part of this diets health benefits.

IRL I don't call it anything. This is just me and what I do. I only take that label to help those online get a grip on my general WOE.

Ellen is offline Member
    Yeah, with the explosion of Paleo-ness on the web and in real life the past year, or so, I'm more hesitant to use the term Paleo or Primal. People will make (usually wrong) assumptions of what I'm talking about, since there's such a variety of information out there and in the media. They will assume low-fat, lean meats only. Like CW minus grains. Egg whites and turkey bacon - yum!

When we first started eating this way after finding MDA in summer 2008 I didn't use the terms much, either, because no one knew what the heck I was talking about. Plus, our journey has been so on-again, off-again over these years, I mainly kept it to myself, except close family members. I wanted to show some mind blowing results before promoting a way of eating/life.

Nowadays it is terminology overload out there. I just say "I can't eat grains or legumes, limit dairy, don't really eat sugar, and avoid most unnatural oils."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast