Thread: Getting back into fat page

chowza is offline Member

Getting back into fat

Primal Fuel
    In recent months, I've been trying to convince my parents of the merits of PB eating. They're both in reasonably good health, though they've each had their fair share of difficulties (notably, GERD for my dad, high cholesterol and hypothyroid for my mom).

I've been taking the slow-and-steady approach to helping them question some of their dietary notions, which are a bit of a mix of good and bad. They recently eliminated gluten and most dairy from their diet, which has been great, especially for my dad's GERD. But they still stick pretty firmly to a few bastions of CW, including the ideas that whole grains are good and (most) fats are bad.

I'm particularly interested in advice on how to reintroduce my mom to the idea that she can (and should) be eating fat beyond just a minimal amount of olive oil. I believe it's taking a pretty big toll on her physically and mentally; she has had trouble sleeping for years, not helped by her stressful job as a fifth-grade teacher. It's particularly tricky because she had her gall bladder out several years ago after a bout of painful gallstones, which probably reinforced her aversion to fats, especially of the animal variety. I'd guess that the reason she had to have it taken out was because she wasn't eating enough fat to begin with.

Anyway, I'd love to hear people's thoughts and advice on trying to help her (both psychologically and practically) to ease more healthy fats into her diet--especially in the absence of a gall bladder. It seems coconut oil would be a good option to start with, since it is supposedly easier to digest than some other sources of fat. If you have experience in similar situations, please weigh in. Thanks!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    With my family, I bought them the book and let them read it for themselves.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

chowza is offline Member
    Thanks, kennelmom. How have they reacted to it so far? I actually bought the book earlier this week and am going to be giving it to them this weekend. They've known about the website for a while, but hopefully the book will help push things a little further over the cliff...

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    My sister jumped in with both feet. Once she started reading the blog, she got Cordain's book from the library (they didn't have Primal Blueprint!) and read that while she waited for PB to deliver from Amazon. She saw tremendous changes in body comp, energy, etc right away. She was already fit and otherwise healthy....just the stubborn middle aged 10 lbs or so that wouldn't go away no matter how many miles she put on her running shoes. She dropped it easily with primal eating and has "seen the light"...I'm pretty sure she's in for the long haul. Her husband who came along for the ride b/c he eats what she cooks and has in the house also some of the weight he'd put on (he's also really active). He was fairly skeptical as my sister has spent the last 10 or so years telling him why they needed to eat low fat/high carb LOL

My parents are a different story...Not as all fired up to give up grains and I'm pretty sure they still have them minimally. As in, a piece of toast a day or something like that. But, for the most part they cut waaaaaaaay back on grains and other carbs. Maybe 70/30 primal/cw? In roughly a month my mom has been able to quit taking her arthritis meds and my dad doesn't have to take ambien to fall asleep. Both report better energy throughout the day and less "exhaustion but not able to sleep." Both also lost weight. So, positive results all the way around!

My parents probably aren't the type to spend a lot of time reading the blog, so the book was nice for them to be able to read anywhere and everywhere. It's easy to reference back to certain information, etc...

Good luck with your family!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My mom has a bit of a medical background and she is certain that because she is older than me she is right .. Seriously though, once a week since I started primal shes been asking me when I'm going to start eating "real food" (right back at her I guess). Both her and my father (boy does he love his sugary sweets) have weight to lose, but they're not obese. I don't have the book, but I read the definite guide to grains to my mom, but I doubt she understood much of it and just replied that "that is one view, I'm sure there are studies showing that grains are good", and when I challenged her to find one she just said "You can't not eat grains!" and walked away angrily. I pretty much cant be arsed trying to convert them, and I doubt they'd be determined enough to pull it off. The only positive thing for them so far is that they're eating slightly more veggies as a result of them cooking dinner for me and partly tending to my needs there. /sigh sorry for bad mood rant, in the middle of an IF