Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to count the oil page

obsessed is offline Member

How to count the oil

Shop Now
    So I am using the MyFitnessPals to monitor my Carbs/Fats/Protiens... trying to regulate myself while I am learning... but I am unsure how to count the oils I use in cooking...

For example, This morning I made an omlette.. with onions/peppers/tomatoes but I always saute them in olive oil first then add the egg... I dont measure the oil more just kind of pour it ... and I do that when I cook just add oil to the pan... and cook...

But how can I get an estimate of amount? I really dont want to measure it...

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    So I am using the MyFitnessPals to monitor my Carbs/Fats/Protiens... trying to regulate myself while I am learning... but I am unsure how to count the oils I use in cooking...

For example, This morning I made an omlette.. with onions/peppers/tomatoes but I always saute them in olive oil first then add the egg... I dont measure the oil more just kind of pour it ... and I do that when I cook just add oil to the pan... and cook...

But how can I get an estimate of amount? I really dont want to measure it...
    I don't know how you'd possibly track it unless you measure at least once and kind of 'see' what a tablespoon or so of oil looks like in the pan. Then you can eyeball it. Or see how much a cap ful is or something and go on that.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    you use two tablespoons

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Actually, a tablespoon is pretty big! I agree with others. Measure it once or twice and pour it into the pan so you can see how deep a tablespoon is in there. You don't have to cook. You can just go measure it right now and see. I usually eat two tablespoons of tallow a day.

And if you eat and find yourself hungry a few hours later, you might need more fat or protein. I only recently discovered I was protein-deprived. Now I eat at least a pound of meat every day, and usually some eggs, too. Body composition continues to improve! But I am a "young" 30 year-old guy, so take it for what it's worth. I can also get by just fine on one 3000 calorie meal a day. Nobody is going to suggest you try that, and the reasons are numerous!
    Last edited by Knifegill; 08-22-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    you're that averse to measuring it? asking us to estimate for you is probably way less accurate than you just guessing. It doesn't take all that much effort to measure how much you're using.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If you're tracking you have to measure. Otherwise you're not tracking, you're guesstimating.

Even if you measured before and you do it by memory. It doesn't hurt to remeasure once in a while to make sure you haven't been unconsciously upsizing your portions.

Or you could just stop measuring and tracking and get the 'feel' of the foods and the recipes and how your body feels when you eat this way.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    lol, i can't help thinking you may have chosen the wrong nickname. An obsessed person would surely be into measuring things. ;-)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I measure by the boat load....

obsessed is offline Member
    So I guess my question was off...some here track and others don't...for those than do ..do you measure oil
    I will probably measure next time...I like tracking...its the best way for me too see what I have been eating...and it totals my carbs......yesterday I got crazy at the salad bar and had way too many beets and artichoke hearts...that coupled with my pear and cherries I easily was gonna over 100....oh well I shall lay a bit off the artichoke hearts..

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I'm full of lazy, and don't measure anything. Back when I did, I'd get totally obsessed with trying to figure out how much of the oil I was actually eating, vs. how much I put in the pan. Because some was left in the pan! Right?!

But I couldn't sustain that level of concern very long. I agree with @knifegill and others that your best bet is probably to measure a couple of times so you get good at eyeballing it, and after that, guestimate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast