Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Ketosis page 7

solobiker is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for your replies to my above post. I will keep going with the PB lifestyle and do some playing around with the ratios of protien, carb, fat. I do think at first I was eating too much protien...at times well over 100g. I think I want to keep it below 80 and increase my fats a bit while keeping my carbs around 70-100 depending upon my acitivty level for the day.

Trojan is offline Member
    Great thread.

I have been low carb/high protein for months wondering what's up. My weight loss has stalled but inches have come off but after 4 months..1-2 lbs is redic! I've been told I'm eating too much protein(about 10/11 oz per day-300 grams), trainer RX. Thanks to Paleobird, I understand I need more fat!

Given that 140-145lbs is my goal weight (5'9), 60-72 grams is probably where I need to be regarding protein. I'm just terrified of being so hungry due to cutting that amount of protein. If I limit the protein, increase the fat with carbs under 50grams, that should get me to ketosis..maybe? Or will that be too high carb?

It's VERY confusing to me. I need to know the exact amount of fat to increase due to my protein decrease. :/ Perhaps this is a "Choose your own adventure" thru fat as everyone is different. Just wish I had guidelines for Ketosis.

Thoughts?

Thanks

B
    Last edited by Trojan; 08-29-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    Great thread.

I have been low carb/high protein for months wondering what's up. My weight loss has stalled but inches have come off but after 4 months..1-2 lbs is redic! I've been told I'm eating too much protein(about 10/11 oz per day-300 grams), trainer RX. Thanks to Paleobird, I understand I need more fat!
    That's a heck of a lot. You're not confusing "grams of protein" with "grams of a high-protein food" are you? The latter, of course, will have some fat and some water in it.

i think you're fine. Weight-loss is pretty much irrelevant, if inches are coming off. Muscle is heavier than fat.

Given that 140-145lbs is my goal weight (5'9), 60-72 grams is probably where I need to be regarding protein. I'm just terrified of being so hungry due to cutting that amount of protein. If I limit the protein, increase the fat with carbs under 50grams, that should get me to ketosis..maybe? Or will that be too high carb?

Thoughts?
    My thought is that if your body-shape (or composition) is changing, then you have no big worries. Someone like Jimmy Moore might have to go into deep ketosis -- what he's experimenting with right now -- you probably don't have to. Something like 70 g of protein probably represents about 10 ounces of meat; so if you're understanding "protein" as I suspect you might be you're already eating at around that.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only person who isn't sure how you judge protein vs. fat in protein? For example, I had a steak this morning, with bacon. Cashews for a snack (I have an eating window today), and hamburger with guacamole and salsa for lunch/last meal. probably not enough fat in that...but how do you figure out how much fat you are having? I am very curious to try this, as my body is hanging onto fat for several reasons that may or may not allow this to work. But what the heck -- I'm bored. let's try something new. And I could use some energy.

I've been unlucky in finding a website stating menus or food lists to focus on, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. Any advice: much appreciated.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    FitDay, MyFitness Pal or Sparks People all have the Food Diaries will help you track your intakes. It will take some guesstimating at what food is exactly sometimes, but you just do your best!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    FitDay, MyFitness Pal or Sparks People all have the Food Diaries will help you track your intakes. It will take some guesstimating at what food is exactly sometimes, but you just do your best!
    Right, you plug in say 8oz of steak, and 3oz of nuts or whatever and it gives you the complete macro breakdown. And it will keep a running tally for the day and give you a cute little pie chart at the end.

Tips when doing this, try to measure stuff by weight, not volume, e.g. a cup of chopped onions can be a lot more or less depending on the fineness of the chopping. Also measure metric if you can. It's much more accurate.

Personally, I like SparkPeople but have heard good things about Chron-o-Meter as well. Fitday is notoriously off in a lot of their numbers. The livestrong site has a really good database for all things grass fed. But play around with a few a find the one you like.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-20-2012 at 01:28 PM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Trojan - I also have the same issue. I was originally moderate carb/high fat/moderate protein, but went down the route of moderate carb/low fat/high protein and was eating 200-300g protein/day. Didn't lose any lasting weight this way for several months, and started bingeing on foods high in fat, so I'm going back to the higher fat approach. I'd like to know what happens to you with your new macros too

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Trojan - I also have the same issue. I was originally moderate carb/high fat/moderate protein, but went down the route of moderate carb/low fat/high protein and was eating 200-300g protein/day. Didn't lose any lasting weight this way for several months, and started bingeing on foods high in fat, so I'm going back to the higher fat approach. I'd like to know what happens to you with your new macros too
    That's interesting. My findings tend to agree with yours, in that I find that one of the biggest benefits of this way of eating is eating a higher fat diet. Especially one that is higher in saturated fat. Although I thrive on a higher than average protein diet, a very high protein intake puts a massive strain on the liver and kidneys, so that's best avoided. I am suited to moderate rather than low carbs, but limiting carbs and having a low carb breakfast seem to get the best results for me.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    That's interesting. My findings tend to agree with yours, in that I find that one of the biggest benefits of this way of eating is eating a higher fat diet. Especially one that is higher in saturated fat. Although I thrive on a higher than average protein diet, a very high protein intake puts a massive strain on the liver and kidneys, so that's best avoided. I am suited to moderate rather than low carbs, but limiting carbs and having a low carb breakfast seem to get the best results for me.
    Yes, I am functioning better this way too! I couldn't do the low carb, but moderate carbs makes me feel good. I break my fast at lunch with low carb, but I find that if it's too much food, I go into a food coma anyway (ie, 1 lb of fish=30% of daily calories) How many calories do you consume at breakfast?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I consume around 400 cals at breakfast ( v low carb), 900 at lunch (moderate carb) and 1300 at dinner (relatively high carb at around 100 g) with no cals ever in between. I believe I would benefit in shifting more cals to breakfast.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast