Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Ketosis page 5

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyTibby View Post
    Well somewhere between 110-115 is the range I was thinking, I won't really know until I look in the mirror and like the results. I am 5'2".
    Ya. See I'm 5'10". That gives me a little more leeway. I would say 110 is about right for you. There is that old formula of 100lbs plus 5lbs for every inch over 5 feet. I did all the fancy BMI calculations on several sites and they all averaged out to 150 for me which is exactly 100lbs plus 10x5. Sometimes "rules of thumb" actually work.

solobiker is offline Member
    Hi all, I have been lurking for a little while and have been following PB for 5 weeks. I have not lost any weight to speak of. I am 5' 6" and weigh about 140. I have always been an active person, lots of running, hiking, biking and lifting. This past weekend I hiked both days for at least 5 hours each day. I am a little frustrated in that I have not seen a change at all in my weight or in how I feel. Below is an example of my daily meals. I was thinking of increasing my fat and decreasing my carbs and protien.

B: 2 eggs, 1/2 natural sausage with veggies

S: handful of almonds

L: Chicken thigh with skin on, lots of veggies and an apple

D: BAS with ground beef

per The daily plate : 66 gram protien..approx 25%, 77 gram carbs...approx 28% and fat 56 grams...approx 46%

Looking at this I probably should decrease the carbs a bit and increase fat. My question is what do you eat to increase your fat? I know some eat avacodos. Any other ideas? I love nuts..but they are high in calories. Thanks!

solobiker is offline Member
    Oh and I should have mentioned that I do have hypothyroidism (since 1989) and I am a female. From my reading/research people with thyroid issues should not go VLC. Not sure if I am missing something or not.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You don't suppose that maybe 3000 calories was a tad high?

People don't quite understand the low carb thing. The object isn't to stuff yourself with as much fat and calories as you can. It's to adjust to where your body can feed off its own fat so you can eat less and supplement the deficit with your body fat. Otherwise, if you are not adjusted, or if you are higher carb but can't access your own body fat (like if you are insulin resistant), you basically lose weight by whiteknuckling it through some pretty awful hunger, which becomes a battle of wills you will probably lose.

As for carb flu and brain fog, I had it really bad. Fortunately I managed not to talk to anybody during that time and I made it through. I felt like I could think okay, I just couldn't speak. I'd be like 10 minutes behind the conversation or something.
    Well, I eat on average 3000 now, too....just more carbs. I vary between 2000 and 4000.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    Hi all, I have been lurking for a little while and have been following PB for 5 weeks. I have not lost any weight to speak of. I am 5' 6" and weigh about 140. I have always been an active person, lots of running, hiking, biking and lifting. This past weekend I hiked both days for at least 5 hours each day. I am a little frustrated in that I have not seen a change at all in my weight or in how I feel. Below is an example of my daily meals. I was thinking of increasing my fat and decreasing my carbs and protien.

per The daily plate : 66 gram protien..approx 25%, 77 gram carbs...approx 28% and fat 56 grams...approx 46%

Looking at this I probably should decrease the carbs a bit and increase fat. My question is what do you eat to increase your fat? I know some eat avacodos. Any other ideas? I love nuts..but they are high in calories. Thanks!
    I haven't really had any weight issues, so have not really looked too deeply at the whole balancing of Macro's, but they don't look too bad to me as they are.
    I agree with the Hypothyroid issues I wouldn't go too hard core on the low carb thing, if you are holding in the 50-100g range your body should begin to fat adapt gradually.
    Have you thought about drifting into a 16/8 intermitant fasting protocol, so pushing breakfast back a bit later, then skipping it altogether and going down to 2 meals/day, this will extend the overnight fast and increase the rate of fat adaptation?
    Others with more specific weight or thyroid experience may give you a better guideline.
    Last edited by Omni; 08-22-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post

Well, first of all, you're only maybe ten pounds over ideal weight. You are not going to lose as easily as someone who has more to lose.
    I agree that you really should check with a doctor about your thyroid issues before doing anything major to your diet. I am not an thyroid expert. My only experience with thyroid issues was that I had severely compromised thyroid function as a result of chemotherapy that has been healed by eating on the PB plan.

Even if you don't change your macros a whole lot, I would recommend eating more but less often. See if you can get to just the 3 meals, then maybe 2 meals and a snack, then to just two meals. If you give your body more hours in between feedings, it has time to switch into fat burning mode. If you keep feeding it often, it says, "sweet, fire up the fat storage, lets put some of this away for winter".

High fat items I am finding useful in my keto plan : bone marrow, bone broth, coconut products, avocado& avo oil, fatty dairy such as butter, cream, cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, brie, liver pate (I make my own).

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird, I think I'd like to try this 'limited protein' thing. Can you give me an example of what 45-60 grams of protein would look like (because my ideal weigh is 115-120 lbs)?

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird........... I was just going to up my carbs since I've been around the 50 mark for many months and not losing -- but I think you're balance of macros makes more sense. Maybe its not the carbs being too low - maybe its the protein being too high! My macros normally look something like 20% carbs 40% fats and 40% proteins. Give or take 5% on the fats and proteins. I do have my rare days of going up to 40% on the carbs - but thats maybe once a month at best. I'm also hypothyroid and on Armour -- so I might need to explore that a bit. Although my doctor is a paleo advocate - she has never mentioned carbs effecting thyroid function. I see her in a few weeks and I'll bring up that topic for discussion. If I use your formula I should be at around 60 grams of protein 90 grams fat and 30 grams carbs. I'm 5'3 (barely), and my goal weight is 135. Any lower than that is too thin for me. When the hip bones start jutting out its time to maintain. So I'll give this a try for a couple months and see what happens. thanks..........!!!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Forgive my ignorance, I have been thinking about this on and off. And I still can't wrap my brain around limiting protein. Maybe it is because I am already in a decent range that I can't imagine cutting it lower? Or maybe I am thinking too much CW still? I just always thought that the protein helped spare muscle loss. Protein w/fat is the one thing that satiates me the longest, so I eat less over all.

I just looked over my last month, and I am anywhere from 55 and yesterday was my highest of 128. But normally I am 60-95, with the majority being 75 - 85 days. If anything, I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a little more protein, especially on some of those lower days.

Geesh now I am getting hungry, hungry for steak.

I just looked at a few of my numbers again, looks like in the range of 50% fat, 20% carbs, 30% protein. Give or take on any of these in any direction on any given day. I just sort of rounded it. Sometimes my carbs and proteins are reversed.
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-23-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

CrissyTibby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today's numbers. I won't have time to cook much so it doesn't look too appealing, but I hit all the numbers I needed to. Oh and the summer sausage is actually from a grass fed source, but it was just easier to chose Oscar Mayer.

You can see on other days my protein numbers were higher. I have kept 2.8 to 3.8 readings consistently. I know I have stayed in ketosis despite higher levels, BUT not lost weight because of a high amount of calories.

Anyways just my n=1

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ner=CTrainer82
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 08-23-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast