i so totally suck at math

for now, my cals for the day, cuz I still ain't hongry, are:

60% fat
    33% protein
    5% carb

CrissyTibby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi Crissy,
    Just finding this thread this morning. My macros are running about 70/20/10 (f/p/c) and I'm eating about 1500/day. And the pound are shedding again. With looser carbs and lower fat, 1500 is maintenance for me. Yeah, this stuff is amazing. I feel like leaping tall buildings.
    Thanks for the info. So far that is exactly what I am finding. I can eat a bit more to maintain this way, but to lose I am gonna have to cut back quite a bit.
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

One formula that seems to work for me re: protein levels is this. Figure out your ideal weight in kilos so for me 145lbs =66kilos. Then take that number plus or minus 10% and that is the range you should be shooting for. So for me between about 60 and 72 grams of protein a day. Much more than that and the excess gets converted to sugar in the body and will knock you out of ketosis just like cake would.
    Wow - I have been eating between 60-80 and your calculations put me at 45-55. I am still getting really high keto readings, but I lift pretty heavy. Could weight training help with higher protein levels. I will try dropping my protein tomorrow since it is an off day and see if I can tame my hunger a bit.
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You don't suppose that maybe 3000 calories was a tad high?

People don't quite understand the low carb thing. The object isn't to stuff yourself with as much fat and calories as you can. It's to adjust to where your body can feed off its own fat so you can eat less and supplement the deficit with your body fat.
    This was exactly the mistake I made when I first went Primal. Every body said Eat Moar Fat so I added it to the total instead of adjusting the macros and keeping the total the same. Not surprisingly , I gained weight. Now maybe 3000 is not high for her but it would be way high for me.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    One formula that seems to work for me re: protein levels is this. Figure out your ideal weight in kilos so for me 145lbs =66kilos. Then take that number plus or minus 10% and that is the range you should be shooting for. So for me between about 60 and 72 grams of protein a day. Much more than that and the excess gets converted to sugar in the body and will knock you out of ketosis just like cake would.
    Veeery Interesting. Thank you! I must have quit reading when I got to that part before. Just never thought about anything beyond carbs.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyTibby View Post
    Wow - I have been eating between 60-80 and your calculations put me at 45-55. I am still getting really high keto readings, but I lift pretty heavy. Could weight training help with higher protein levels. I will try dropping my protein tomorrow since it is an off day and see if I can tame my hunger a bit.
    Yes. If you are training heavy, then you should aim for the upper end of that range.
    So, your ideal weight is 110ish? Are you pretty petite?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I was always afraid to eat less protein. And that is the one thing I thought I could reach for when I get hungry for something and dont want any carbs Just when I think I have it all figured out..... <sigh>
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    yep, you're right! i lied.

i so totally suck at math

for now, my cals for the day, cuz I still ain't hongry, are:

60% fat
    33% protein
    5% carb
    Yeah, it's amazing when you are in these macros how you really have to push yourself to eat.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I find that the fat keeps me satiated. Really great idea though to read through Paleobirds blog. She has some really valuable insights.
    keep at it !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Yes. If you are training heavy, then you should aim for the upper end of that range.
    So, your ideal weight is 110ish? Are you pretty petite?
    Well somewhere between 110-115 is the range I was thinking, I won't really know until I look in the mirror and like the results. I am 5'2".
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 08-22-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: forgot my words

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast