Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Ketosis page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I think how much if any carb flu you get depends on how much you were into carbs and sugar in the first place. They never really were my favorites or a big part of my diet so cutting them out went really smoothly for me.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think how much if any carb flu you get depends on how much you were into carbs and sugar in the first place. They never really were my favorites or a big part of my diet so cutting them out went really smoothly for me.
    I have the same thoughts. I wasn't much into them either. I never felt like I needed them before or after getting rid of them. My wife on the other hand, had a hell of a time transitioning off. so it seems to be more of a "your mileage may vary"

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Constant low carb didn't work for me. I spent 2 months eating 3000 calories in 70% fat and I felt my clothes get tighter, and I reckon that I gained about 5 lbs. It also made my gym workouts 3x/week really shitty when lifting heavy.

I've gone back to eating carbs, and I've had most of my success eating 200g carbs on weight lifting days and roughly 100g on non lifting days. My performance has gotten better, I don't feel like shit during those workouts, and I've lost the ~5lbs that I gained from high fat low carb, and then some.

It's not the same for everyone. But this has been the results for me, anyway.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Ya I definitely think it is a YMMV. I am not really experiencing a TON of symptoms, it is just the brain fog that is getting to me. I have no headaches, or anything. Just real calmness (which is not really bad) but my brain feels stuff. I just need my brain to be were it was pre ketosis, maybe this is the transitionary period, maybe it would be even better than it was pre ketosis. It is my bread and butter and can't avoid literally to experiment with it on that level.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyTibby View Post
    My protein use to be around 120 grams, but since I was going for nutritional ketosis I dropped it to 60-80 grams.

I purchased a blood ketones measuring device and came up with a 3.8 reading the first day and a 2.9 reading the next.
    I have never thought about ketosis and protein at the same time. I have only always focused on the carbs. I IF most days until lunch time, once in awhile a 24, and end up with 1100 - 1500 usually, although I did have a 1700 this week. 2500 sounds like heaven!!

I dont know that I am ever in ketosis. I know I was when I first went low carb, cuz I was pretty low, but anymore I seem to hang out in the 40 - 80 range for carbs. My fat is about 50% most days. My protein is usually 65 - 90g, although today it is sitting about about 125. I did have breakfast for a change, which I was afraid would make me hungry all day. That was at 4:30am with 32g of protein. I didnt eat again until about 1pm, but I have been pretty hungry since then. I am hoping I am done for the day with 1372 calories.

I can't wait for maintenance. Although I have been getting full on this lower amount of calories and have just adjusted, so I have often wondered about the extra calories when I do get to maintenance, how I will handle that.

One thing also, I have just started to add back in some structured exercise. That always makes me hungrier, so that is probably catching up with me today. Maybe when I get to maintenance some day, I will need the extra calories for my exercise regime at that time.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Instead of getting that crack, which may be cut with rat poison, do what I did yesterday and take
    a Wal-Itin (claritin, but Walgreen's knockoff).

O.M.G

First of all, I've been getting back into ketosis myself lately, past two weeks or so.

I also fell into the trap that "sweet potatoes are MAJIK! keep your calories low and you
    can eat all you want!" NOT.

Tried that for 3 months and gradually put on ten pounds, even in a caloric deficit, so, back
    to low/zero carb for me. Sigh.

ANYWAY! Besides the crack-induced energy of ketosis itself, yesterday my nose was all
    stuffed up so I dug through our medicine box and found the allergy meds. I usually take
    sudafed, but with only 12mg of diphenhydramine, it never works - so then I checked out the
    claritin and it was only 10mg of lortadine (or whatever that is). Then I found these huge pills
    that had a mix of both and it was "24hr" instead of "take every 4 hrs".

So I took it, and THEN looked at the dosage on the box.

Okay, so it was like 240mg of diphenhydramine and 10mg lortawhatever.

It said for ages 12 and up, so I figured that it wouldn't kill me, and it sure didn't.

But boy howdy it was as though I snorted an entire 8-ball to myself (dontaskmehowIknow).

I took it at 9:30am and wasn't hungry all freaking day. Finally at 7:30pm I had to choke
    down SOMETHING because I was light headed from zero food all day - so I had 2 eggs and
    some butter.

That's it.

Today the damn thing was still going strong and it's 4:40pm and I finally just ate something.

Not going to take one of THOSE again.. or maybe cut it in half if I do.

It was super great to have an un-stuffed nose and all that energy... My workout at the
    gym was AWESOME. PR'd on all my lifts with nary a carb, just the damn allergy medicine. HA!

All right, blithering over..... just thought I'd share my low cost crack option. HAR!

Julie

Paleobird Guest
    One formula that seems to work for me re: protein levels is this. Figure out your ideal weight in kilos so for me 145lbs =66kilos. Then take that number plus or minus 10% and that is the range you should be shooting for. So for me between about 60 and 72 grams of protein a day. Much more than that and the excess gets converted to sugar in the body and will knock you out of ketosis just like cake would.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hey, PB, totally true - I can even actually FEEL when I've had too much protein in one sitting.

The other day before we went to an amusement park I decided to pork down a bunch of
    tuna and mayo so I wouldn't succumb to the park fare (not only because of the shit
    food, but because it's 7.99 for a freaking corn dog the size of my thumb).

I had the entire can of tuna with mayo and 15 minutes later my heart was racing SO FAST
    that it felt like I ate 1500 pixie sticks.

33g of protein in one sitting was NOT a good thing, and that feeling was horrible!

I've actually never tried the high fat VLC thing before, so this will be a very nifty
    experiment.

Since the amusement park I've been keeping to about 70% fat, 30% protein and maybe 10%carbs
    for 1350 cals.

So far so good and no more racing heart as long as the protein is low for each meal and there's adequate
    fat.

Not sure about the weight loss by scale measure, as the thing pisses me off too much and so I'm not going
    to weigh for a month, but my fat pants, the back of the cuffs, are getting caught under my shoes now when
    I walk, so that tells me that maybe my ass and thighs are getting smaller... Snort!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Constant low carb didn't work for me. I spent 2 months eating 3000 calories in 70% fat and I felt my clothes get tighter, and I reckon that I gained about 5 lbs. It also made my gym workouts 3x/week really shitty when lifting heavy.
    You don't suppose that maybe 3000 calories was a tad high?

People don't quite understand the low carb thing. The object isn't to stuff yourself with as much fat and calories as you can. It's to adjust to where your body can feed off its own fat so you can eat less and supplement the deficit with your body fat. Otherwise, if you are not adjusted, or if you are higher carb but can't access your own body fat (like if you are insulin resistant), you basically lose weight by whiteknuckling it through some pretty awful hunger, which becomes a battle of wills you will probably lose.

As for carb flu and brain fog, I had it really bad. Fortunately I managed not to talk to anybody during that time and I made it through. I felt like I could think okay, I just couldn't speak. I'd be like 10 minutes behind the conversation or something.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Hey, PB, totally true - I can even actually FEEL when I've had too much protein in one sitting.

I've actually never tried the high fat VLC thing before, so this will be a very nifty
    experiment.

Since the amusement park I've been keeping to about 70% fat, 30% protein and maybe 10%carbs
    for 1350 cals.

So far so good and no more racing heart as long as the protein is low for each meal and there's adequate
    fat.
    I only eat twice a day so I kind of do that at every meal. I can feel the rush from it but I don't think it's harmful. I kind of enjoy it.
    This is like legal speed.
    Um, your math isn't adding up. You got 110% there. Probably typo.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast