Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Ketosis page 2

CrissyTibby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Hah, thanks! (At least I assume you're talking to me. Maybe?) My legs are my least favorite body part (while going through puberty, I was told by my mother that I was pre-destined to have "birth-giving hips", thanks to my big Hispanic family being full of ladies who rock "thunder thighs"... not exactly what a 13-year-old wants to hear...) so hearing nothing but things about belly fat reduction isn't exactly helpful for me! Luckily cycling is reducing the jiggle, and my strength-training and protein-intake is helping them look strong, too. When I lost my 40 pounds, I swear maybe 5 came from my legs and the rest from my arms, chest, and back. Lame!

I really shouldn't Calorie-count ever ever again... ever. I don't really have an addictive personality, but my main vice is numbers. Being a sciency person by profession, I over-analyze everything, and keeping a food log is the worst thing for me. It's still a struggle, as I still find myself calculating it in my head and looking at the nutrition info on nearly everything I put in my mouth, but I really need to listen to my body.

For you, keeping things low is working and that's awesome. But for me, I can't afford to do that, else I'll end up in a padded room!
    I was talking to you.

I have always had the same body type and I always lose up top first, good ole' stubborn fat.

I understand not wanting to count. I went a little crazy doing that and swore I wouldn't count consistently ever again, until now.

Great blog too!
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    lol @ CrissyTibby I totally understand what u mean. My apologies if my response sounded abrupt. We are in the same shoes, only that I am much shorter at 5 feet. so my calories have to be even much lower at 1100 before the scale budges. My response was also to remind myself as well
    I didn't think you were abrupt. Just informative in a way that I have been happily ignoring!! haha! 1100 - I think I might have to chew my foot off at that point!

I just wanted there to be a magic pill dammit!! No luck.
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I found if I follow my true hunger, willfully ignoring a snacking habit, my body knows what it needs. I don't track my calories consumedor burned. I am slowly losing about 0.5lb/week and that is fine, even though I have a lot to lose. How much do you have to lose? If you have some ideal in mind and it doesn't match your body's true ideal, it will be harder to get there.
    That is great! I am not an intuitive eater and never have been. I envy plenty of people that talent.

Yes I am trying to get to an ideal after settling for a year. I think I can get to that ideal because it isn't an unhealthy weight which is around 10 pounds less.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyTibby View Post
    I tried for WEEKS to eat 1 meal a day. I tried following a time line or not following a time line. All I ended up with was an obsession for watching the clock.

This was around a few weeks ago. At the same time I was dropping my carbs really low and upping my fats REALLY high to try to make it easier.

I have not lost weight in those few weeks, BUT I have more energy than I have ever dreamed. I am even keeled and happy, happy, happy. I use to bonk at 3 pm really hard and that has stopped. I stopped breaking out. Tons of good things here.

My protein use to be around 120 grams, but since I was going for nutritional ketosis I dropped it to 60-80 grams.

I purchased a blood ketones measuring device and came up with a 3.8 reading the first day and a 2.9 reading the next.

It is advocated all over the LCHF boards that you can eat a little more if you are eating this way or you don't have to consciously restrict. Ladies, since I know the guys don't work the same way, do you find you can eat a little more if you are maintaining, but have to cut the same amount of calories to get the scale to budge.

I ate around 2500-3000 for about 2 weeks with some ups, but mostly maintaining my weight. I spent the last few days around 1500-1800 and the scale is finally starting to come down.

I wish there were more blogs that covered women doing this. I feel like the male LCHF blogs don't give women enough insight into what we should be doing. No judgement. Just observation.

What do you think?
    I found similar results on a very low carb diet as far as the feeling of energy and happiness and nicer skin. Plus mental clarity and not feeling sleepy.

I don't think that you can eat more this way. Your fat intake has to be less than what your body needs otherwise it has no need to use its own reserves. But once you have trained your body to use fat for energy, when it taps those reserves, you feel awesome and can lose weight without being so hungry.

I've found for myself that once I lost the majority of excess fat that I gained due to insulin resistance, that the rest doesn't want to go. I think it might be a leptin thing. Since fat cells release leptin and leptin tells your body it's not starving, once the fat cells shrink there's a lot less leptin so maybe my body won't let go of anymore fat because it thinks it's starving. Could explain why if I do manage to lose any weight it's hell trying to keep it off since I get so damn hungry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I found similar results on a very low carb diet as far as the feeling of energy and happiness and nicer skin. Plus mental clarity and not feeling sleepy.

I don't think that you can eat more this way. Your fat intake has to be less than what your body needs otherwise it has no need to use its own reserves. But once you have trained your body to use fat for energy, when it taps those reserves, you feel awesome and can lose weight without being so hungry.

I've found for myself that once I lost the majority of excess fat that I gained due to insulin resistance, that the rest doesn't want to go. I think it might be a leptin thing. Since fat cells release leptin and leptin tells your body it's not starving, once the fat cells shrink there's a lot less leptin so maybe my body won't let go of anymore fat because it thinks it's starving. Could explain why if I do manage to lose any weight it's hell trying to keep it off since I get so damn hungry.
    Exactly. Hunger stinks. I am your exact size since I am 5 pounds less, but an inch shorter. My body LOVES being this size since I have been this size since high school. So I am thinking hunger is just the way to go.

I am not a stalker, but I have noticed you have lost consistently over a long period of time and that is what I want. Just a little bit of loss every now and again. I think now this can happen. I also just read WILD and it makes me want to go hiking, though actually sleeping outside scares me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You can sleep outside. It's actually more peaceful and safe in the wilderness than in the city. In the city there are two-legged varmints plus there are skunks, raccoons, possums, cats and even stray dogs to bother you. In the wilderness there's nothing but the sound of the wind in the trees, the sound of water flowing and maybe, just maybe, some little mouse or something. And if you do something like the Pacific Crest or Appalachian Trails you will never be alone unless you really want to be.

I lost most of my weight up front, between August of last year and maybe February or March of this year. Since then it's been one long plateau or maybe this is as good as it gets. I've tried the whole sweet potato/carbs are good thing (fail), I've taken up sprinting and body weight exercises (partial fail), I tried tracking my calories and staying at the range that My Fitness Pal would result in 1lb a week of weight loss (1200, fail), tried doing more cardio (fail). I lost some weight on my recent vacation but I think I gained all of it back last week. I need to change my signature back to 135.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can sleep outside. It's actually more peaceful and safe in the wilderness than in the city. In the city there are two-legged varmints plus there are skunks, raccoons, possums, cats and even stray dogs to bother you. In the wilderness there's nothing but the sound of the wind in the trees, the sound of water flowing and maybe, just maybe, some little mouse or something. And if you do something like the Pacific Crest or Appalachian Trails you will never be alone unless you really want to be.

I lost most of my weight up front, between August of last year and maybe February or March of this year. Since then it's been one long plateau or maybe this is as good as it gets. I've tried the whole sweet potato/carbs are good thing (fail), I've taken up sprinting and body weight exercises (partial fail), I tried tracking my calories and staying at the range that My Fitness Pal would result in 1lb a week of weight loss (1200, fail), tried doing more cardio (fail). I lost some weight on my recent vacation but I think I gained all of it back last week. I need to change my signature back to 135.
    We are just going to have to start a crack habit.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyTibby View Post
    I worked my way through a bit of her journal. Love paleobird's no nonsense attitude. I didn't find the amounts of calories and such.
    Hi Crissy,
    Just finding this thread this morning. My macros are running about 70/20/10 (f/p/c) and I'm eating about 1500/day. And the pound are shedding again. With looser carbs and lower fat, 1500 is maintenance for me. Yeah, this stuff is amazing. I feel like leaping tall buildings.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    before the leaping into tall buildings did anyone else experience carb fly symptoms? my brain has been a mess today and I am getting scared because I cannot have this continue for much longer than into next week, my job dictates that I have very sharp and quick thinking focus...ugh

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I didn't when going to paleo/primal, but I did experience all sorts of flu-like stuff (and candida die-off) when I started my 21-day sugar detox. I was fine day 1, then day 2 and 3 were awful. All was well by day 4.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast