Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Ketosis page 10

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can make things with olive oil that are pretty good, like pestos and tapenades and things like that. You can make pate. You can slip bone marrow or tallow into things. I slipped some marrow fat into my mashed cauliflower last night. I also added an avocado. It was so rich I kinda made myself sick. You can eat marrow as-is, too.
    This ^^^^plus lose the post work out shake. There is no physiological need for it. It's just marketing hype. Have a couple extra eggs instead.
    Also have you tried coconut cream?

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I actually just made some pesto with basil from the garden. I can add that to things

I was going to leave a can of coconut milk mixed with some melted TJ chocolate in the fridge today to try some pudding tonight. I can eat that without a problem - it seems to just be the coconut butter that doesn't sit too well.

Any other ideas/suggestions for dealing with the much smaller volume of food? For example - the pesto I made has about 260 calories in 1/4 cup - even on some lower carb spaghetti squash if one is limiting carbs that 260 calories will be gone in 4 bites... I guess maybe I just need to really slow down my eating and not feel the need to eat 2 lbs of food at once! Some foods - like butter - my "ick, stop eating" reflex kicks in well. But with tasty things like fatty bacon, fatty meat, chicken skin, pesto I don't find 4 bites satiating.
    Last edited by lorichka6; 09-24-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    FYI expeller pressed CO does not have the coconut flavor, so may be good to try.

I would add egg yolks into your eggs, and boost fat that way without skyrocketing your protein grams. Also, 1/2 chocolate bar is a lot, perhaps cut that down to one square and then you could have other foods with it that are more satisfying. Try whipping up some Free the Animal Fat bread? That with some mascarpone is incredibly satisfying (thanks Paleobird!). Add a few raspberries on top for a decadent treat.

Hey, not everyone can stick to "all organic all pastured all the time." Sometimes, we have to do the best we can with what we've got. So, my beef is occasionally grass fed, mostly organic (grain fed), always (minimum) ground on site to ensure no pink slime. Bacon varies with whether I went to whole foods and bought the mongo pack of thick cut bacon, or if DH went shopping and bought Oscar Meyer. Minimum for eggs is Eggland's Best. When finances change, I can raise some of that up. Until then, we eat the best we can within a reasonable budget.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Hi there! My husband and I have been primal for 2.5 years and both have that last bit of fat to lose around the middle. We are thinking of experimenting with the nutritional ketosis idea. How are things going for people in this thread. It's been awhile since the last post. I'm 5'3" and 137-140lbs. About 25%BF. I don't have far to go for my goal, but want this belly fat to finally burn.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Just had my annual (or every 2-3 years) physical yesterday. Cholesterol was higher than my doc likes, but she sounds less and less convinced about statins. And she knows I ain't interested.

As for energy - my, oh my - I would not have managed the last 3-4 months without the steadiness I get from keto. My energy is steady, even though I am physically tired at times. But my mental and emotional energy never flags - despite trying to do the impossible in too little time .. and all that rot.

My job pressures have not abated - but I am handling them better.

Oh - and the doc was really happy that despite the workload and not enough exercise, my weight is down from the last checkup. And I can see a slow body recomp happening, without enough exercise to suit me. Even the saddlebags ...

So you could safely say I'm happy with it.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. I guess it's worth a try.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Hi, M23.
    Since the end of this thread I have also been though quite a bit of personal stress. My father was very ill and then passed away. I have not had the time to get the exercise I would like either. But though all that, I have been on a surprisingly even keel as Annlee above pointed out. Also, although such a time is when a lot of people would put on weight, I haven't. I'm just holding steady.

Being in ketosis also gives you the ability to fast if needed and not give in to junk temptations. This was useful when spending long days at a hospital with nothing but crappy cafeteria food and vending machines around. I just didn't eat and I was fine. My (very SAD) sister kept telling me, "You have to eat something or your metabolism is going to crash". She was the one getting shaky if she didn't eat every three hours. I was fine all day.

I really do think that being in ketosis or at least to some degree fat adapted gives you the ability to weather whatever life throws your way without going off the deep end.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My father was very ill and then passed away.
    I don't get around to reading all the threads, and I missed this. I am very very sorry
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I don't get around to reading all the threads, and I missed this. I am very very sorry
    Thank you, gopintos. I didn't bring it up for the sympathy although that is appreciated.

It just seems like so often we hear examples of, "Well I was doing great losing weight but then <insert stressful life situation> happened and I put it all back on."

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can make things with olive oil that are pretty good, like pestos and tapenades and things like that. You can make pate. You can slip bone marrow or tallow into things. I slipped some marrow fat into my mashed cauliflower last night. I also added an avocado. It was so rich I kinda made myself sick. You can eat marrow as-is, too.
    Where do you get your marrow bones? I find them to be the most expensive things where I source my meat from.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast