Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: September Whole 30!!! Who's with me!?!?! page 9

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mom's visiting and she asked me to bake tomorrow. Real baking, not faleo stuff. Heh, we'll see how I stand up to this challenge. So far thinking ahead to it, I have no desire to eat baked stuff, and packing it up for them to take along should be easy 'nough, but you know, when you bake, it's heard not to lick.

I will have to cook a lot this weekend, since it is a back to school now for my husband and my daughter. Turkey jerky; baking for grandparents to take along when they go back; some dehydrated sweet potato chips; food for 4 adults and one very hungry 6 yo; and I wanted to try that pate recipe, but part of me thinks I will skip it this weekend, I already feel like I will be in the kitchen for 2 days straight.

Oh, gonna lock away the left over Russian candy in the basement somewhere or see if mom takes them.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-31-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Day 3! I don't know if I'm alone in this but I have been having weird as hell dreams. Not craving dreams or anything... not being chased by a giant cupcake or wistfully watching others eat candy whilst floating in a river of chocolate. No my dreams are much different.

I keep dreaming that I fail my whole30 with some accidental mindless mundane blunder - by consuming the most boring non compliant food without considering it. I've had this dream every night for the past 3 nights and it is SO realistic I actually wake up feeling HORRIFIED that I manage to eat something non compliant that wasnt even good without even realizing it.

Last night the dream was about a bean and cheese burrito. I don't even LIKE bean and cheese burritos, since as I kid, I was raised a vegetarian and that was one of the few things I could eat when being taken out to dinner. [ Side note, my childhood was a bit frelled up in more ways than one... my parents divorced and I split time evenly between 2 households. My moms house was strict "vegetarian" (aka soy and bread eaters) and my dad's house was "let's eat out every night!" carnivores/ fad dieters. I've had an extremely complicated relationship with food ever since. ] This bean and cheese burrito was SO real I could feel the refriedness mooshing around in my mouth and I woke up just so freaked out, sure I had failed... and it took me a good minute or so to realize it was a dream.

That's wack, yo.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Day 3! I don't know if I'm alone in this but I have been having weird as hell dreams. Not craving dreams or anything... not being chased by a giant cupcake or wistfully watching others eat candy whilst floating in a river of chocolate. No my dreams are much different.

I keep dreaming that I fail my whole30 with some accidental mindless mundane blunder - by consuming the most boring non compliant food without considering it. I've had this dream every night for the past 3 nights and it is SO realistic I actually wake up feeling HORRIFIED that I manage to eat something non compliant that wasnt even good without even realizing it.

Last night the dream was about a bean and cheese burrito. I don't even LIKE bean and cheese burritos, since as I kid, I was raised a vegetarian and that was one of the few things I could eat when being taken out to dinner. [ Side note, my childhood was a bit frelled up in more ways than one... my parents divorced and I split time evenly between 2 households. My moms house was strict "vegetarian" (aka soy and bread eaters) and my dad's house was "let's eat out every night!" carnivores/ fad dieters. I've had an extremely complicated relationship with food ever since. ] This bean and cheese burrito was SO real I could feel the refriedness mooshing around in my mouth and I woke up just so freaked out, sure I had failed... and it took me a good minute or so to realize it was a dream.

That's wack, yo.
    When I started my W30 (2 more days!), I had a dream that'd I'd eaten white potatoes in a curry with some rice. Totally freaked me out, as I was only one day in. I think that it was more of a fear of failure than a secret love affair or hang up about food and restriction.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

imnes is offline Member
    Day 2 for me, going well. Plenty of energy and feeling good. I realized I'd gotten into a bad eating routine, stopping for food after work on my way home which was usually something terrible. I start craving some high-sugar foods about the same time every day even if I'm not hungry. Will be nice to break that cycle again.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Mom's visiting and she asked me to bake tomorrow. Real baking, not faleo stuff. Heh, we'll see how I stand up to this challenge. So far thinking ahead to it, I have no desire to eat baked stuff, and packing it up for them to take along should be easy 'nough, but you know, when you bake, it's heard not to lick.

I will have to cook a lot this weekend, since it is a back to school now for my husband and my daughter. Turkey jerky; baking for grandparents to take along when they go back; some dehydrated sweet potato chips; food for 4 adults and one very hungry 6 yo; and I wanted to try that pate recipe, but part of me thinks I will skip it this weekend, I already feel like I will be in the kitchen for 2 days straight.

Oh, gonna lock away the left over Russian candy in the basement somewhere or see if mom takes them.
    Visit your local bakery....then go home and throw around a little flour in the kitchen --- voila -- baked goods :-)
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    No, no, they are house guests, and I love my mom too much to buy something from any bakery. At least my baking will be done with real nuts, chocolate, lemon and butter, not crazy chemicals and artificial flavors. And everyone in the house knows how the kitchen looks and smells when I do bake. Like melting real dark chocolate. But, for the bake sale at work for charity I will be dehydrating banana and sweet potato chips. I will call it a novelty item

Actually, while my 6 yo was visiting with grandparents, they went to a big party. My former carb fiend who used to eat nothing but banana and bread before I get clued in that she has that minor gut problems and started packing all her food and forbade day-care to give her a shred of anything else, swept by the table with cookies and sweets, making straight for shrimp with the delighted chirping: "Shrimp! Shrimps!" The story made me so happy!
    Last edited by Leida; 08-31-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    My problem with sugar: I can do a Whole30 or 21 Day Sugar Detox at the drop of a hat, but I will still add sugar back into my diet just as much before afterwards, no matter how long its been. I'm starting to think I'm just genetically predisposed to be a sugar monster.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    I'm ready to start tomorrow. I saw someone post that they picked up coconut cream at Trader Joe's, so I stopped by today and picked up a can. Will give up the HWC in my morning shake tomorrow. Also picked up a jar of organic ghee a couple of days ago and have been cooking with it. Yumm. Everything else I have been doing for the past few months has been W30 compliant, so I am interested to see what giving up dairy accomplishes during the next 30 days.

PrimalLizard is offline Junior Member
    Day 8 for me. So far, so good. I did not eat as much yesterday. I didn't finish my lunch and I had very little for dinner but I just went with it. Hey, maybe my body's signals are finally working right and I'm actually listening to them.

I hard boiled eggs last night so i have a couple of those in my big salad for lunch. We have a flock of backyard chickens. It's so much fun and great having our own source of delicious fresh eggs. If you have the means and right location, I highly recommend it. We have enough eggs to sell to friends and make enough to pay for the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by _Josh_ View Post

PrimalLizard: I don't know if you are close to Reno or not, but DAMN the Rib Cookoff! Too much temptation.
    Yes, I'm in Reno and will not be going to the Rib Cook off this year! My husband has to work all weekend and drives right past there so we'll see if he stops and picks anything up. I have a good recipe for ribs with a dry rub that i can make whole 30 compliant so maybe I'll make those this weekend. It's delicious just no bbq sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by imnes View Post
    Started today, did well all day but now end of the day I'm jonesing for a sugar fix! I'm gonna go eat some meat, not really hungry but maybe it will curb the cravings...
    stay strong!

Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    What's everyone doing about snacking bw meals? I know it's frowned upon by Melissa and Dallas, but I also know its really difficult for some people....must curious as to how everyone's handling that during their whole30

For me, I try hard not to, but if I'm hungry I eat. I'm not looking to lose weight, just want to feel amazing. I'll have a few berries, carrots and almond butter, or some other fruit. I guess I should tone it down, especially w the after dinner nighttime fruit.
    I'm trying not to snack but I bring either an apple or celery sticks to work with a little container of almond butter in case I get hungry at 3-4 p.m. Some days I need it and some I don't but I don't want to get into that desperate state and go to the vending machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Ditto on the ketosis! Do you have any tips/strategies to up the fat without upping protein -- without using dairy? Butter and heavy whipping cream have been my go-to fats in the past. I would put a couple pats of butter on top of a bowl of chili or some grilled steak -- olive oil or coconut oil just doesn't have the same appeal.

I was reading through Paleobird's MOAR Fat thread today and trying to calculate my ketosis macros, since I won't actually be testing for ketones. I ran yesterday's eats through fitday and was good on carb and protein, but low on fat. It was a low calorie day, overall, but I was thinking if I had known I could have just added some straight coconut oil -- two tablespoons, or so, to reach my fat. My husband, on the other hand, is not down with the straight coconut oil, so I'm trying to find ideas for him to up the fat *without* more protein for ketosis. He wants to play, too
    I'm also interested in any other ideas about adding fat. Avocado is an option but I don't always find good avocados to buy and I don't really care to eat them more than once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by afsjesse View Post
    It's great that so many Primal-thinking people want to do this together! Tomorrow's the day! Here in Afghanistan, I've just come back from grocery shopping and I've stocked up on fresh beef, chicken, sardines (canned), clams (canned), halibut (canned), coconut milk, eggs, and a whole slew of vegetables. It stinks that dairy and fruit aren't allowed, especially since apricots are in season here. Yumm...
    As someone else mentioned, fruit is allowed so enjoy the apricots just don't binge on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyanna12 View Post
    Day 4 here. Yesterday I was hungry again in the afternoon, and drank gallons of water to try and deal with it. On arrival at home after work, I headed straight for the fridge to look for dinner. Two points of interest. I felt very tired late afternoon, which is a time of day when normally I am quite zippy. And secondly, after dinner at about 8pm, my mind was telling me I needed to binge, but my body was saying I wasn't hungry and would feel awful if I did launch into the multi-seed bread that was sitting on the counter. My body won, I'm glad to say, and I went to bed feeling very virtuous. A strange sensation, as normally I'd have given in right away.

This morning I woke up feeling great, and sang all the way to work in the car. It's been a while since i did that. Am beginning to think that my evening glasses of wine might have been contributing to my depression over the last few years.

Regarding snacking, I have been having the odd pecan nut, but this wasn't doing the trick at all. I've now moved on to bananas (or banana, as I only have one). That keeps me going fo ages. Having said that I am trying to stick to the three meals a day, if at all possible.
    good job! glad you are feeling good.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    good luck to you on the baking. you are very strong to do that. my husband suggested I make waffles for the kids and I just stared at him for about a minute. Uh, no. Can't handle that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post

That's wack, yo.
    Me too! about night 1 or 2 I dreamed that we were traveling and came to a stop and had to get food. There was a bunch of food laid out and I started grabbing it and ate some soft pretzels without thinking and then I got stressed out and spit it out and was so bummed that I messed up the Whole30. I was all worried in the morning and then I realized it was all a dream. And I don't know when I've had a soft pretzel last. very weird.

Quote Originally Posted by imnes View Post
    Day 2 for me, going well. Plenty of energy and feeling good. I realized I'd gotten into a bad eating routine, stopping for food after work on my way home which was usually something terrible. I start craving some high-sugar foods about the same time every day even if I'm not hungry. Will be nice to break that cycle again.
    glad it's going well!

imnes is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalLizard View Post
    Day 8 for me. .... We have a flock of backyard chickens. It's so much fun and great having our own source of delicious fresh eggs. If you have the means and right location, I highly recommend it.
    We've got a flock of chickens as well. It always surprises me how pale a store-bought yolk is compared to a fresh egg. And the home grown ones are much more flavorful too. Not sure if it's something the commercial chickens are fed, or the processing they do to the store-bought eggs.

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast