Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: September Whole 30!!! Who's with me!?!?! page 26

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Whole30 buddies, where are you?!

Day 17 for me! =) I feel great. I am going out to eat tonight at a brazillian churrascaria (what I fondly refer to as a meat palace) and I am pretty excited about it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The only new things are ghee (but I used to eat butter) and coconut oil (never had it til now). I'm not using a lot of coconut oil- maybe have used a tablespoon thus far?
    Oh well, I'll figure it out.
    Ghee if it is not fresh can give you a bad indigestion. That's why I always hated my grandma's stores of bloody thing. She always melted butter when she could buy it, and stored it under water, eww. Sorry, I know everyone raves about ghee, but I have a gaging reflex the moment I hear about it.

Also, quite a few people have a burning reaction to coconut products. Could be it. I would eliminate one or another....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Ellen is offline Member
    Day 19 and I am sooooo ready for dessert. I've definitely still got that bug in my head that says after dinner there should be a "treat." I've been working to distract myself. Since I'm off fruit and nuts for the Whole30 there isn't anything to snack on that fills that mental desire. I think that's a good thing for me. I think I would be using fruit and nuts as a crutch and totally overdoing them if I was allowing them right now. It sort of feels like weaning off a drug. Okay, not that I know what that is like, but based on what I've heard. I am looking forward to some coconut butter as an evening snack if I am feeling hunger. Since I'm working on being in ketosis I want to avoid a protein or carb snack. I am committed to keeping the coconut butter snacks to a minimum, though. I know how easily I could eat half a cup of that stuff :P

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    YUM! That dinner looks delicious I love how simple it is, but I can almost smell the pot roast -- it looks quite juicy, too. Crock pots are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Rach View Post
    Ellen - tips on nuts, well I think I've learnt to either not buy them or buy them in small bags (like 50g sized bags) to reduce/stop the likelyhood of me binging on them. Though I have noticed that as I'm getting further into Whole30 that I'm less interested in them and more into them as an occasional thing.

...followed by 1/2 can coconut milk + berries.
    Thanks for the tip on the nuts! That's sort of what I was thinking. I've got a batch of creamed coconut (aka coconut butter) headed my way in the next few days. After my nut-free Whole30 I was thinking of making some Macadamia/Coconut Bark by half-melting coconut butter and swirling it in coconut oil with chopped macadamias and toasted coconut flakes. Nothing sweet to start sugar cravings, but a big old fat blast. I think that might be a way to portion out the macadamias. I will have to see how it goes

For your 1/2 can of coconut milk plus berries dessert, do you whip the coconut milk or is it room-temp straight up liquid? I still haven't figured out how to get a thick cream (like whipped cream) without using the stuff with guar gum that separates on its own (Thai Kitchen brand). I've put cans in the fridge to try to get them to separate with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Ridiculous and no energy. On the good side, no cravings, this food makes me feel like ass, but causes no cravings. Dinner last night was a grass fed steak, grilled. Cauliflower tossed with spices and ghee, kale cooked in spices and coconut milk. I dunno. I doubt dairy and sugar were doing me any favors, but pretty surprised to have heartburn and be so sluggish.
    In regards to the heartburn and sluggishness, I don't have any ideas that haven't already been mentioned. I find that when I eat too much coconut milk it give me gas/bloating. Even the stuff without guar gum. And "too much" could be just one bowl of curry for me. These n=1 experiments can be quite "interesting" (aka frustrating!). I often wish the answers were the same for everyone so we wouldn't have so much trial and error. Your dinner sounds delicious, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Day 17 for me! =) I feel great. I am going out to eat tonight at a brazillian churrascaria (what I fondly refer to as a meat palace) and I am pretty excited about it.
    Oh, YUM!!! I will have to find this type of place where I live, because that sounds awesome Meat palace, indeed!

PrimalLizard is offline Junior Member
    hello, I have about 1 week left of my whole 30. Next saturday the 22nd will be my last day. I plan to follow re-introduction with dairy first for a few days and see how if affects me. I don't think I will start with ice cream, though! Let's not push it right away! Probably yogurt and cheese. For my main plan of lifestyle, I will plan to avoid grains and added sugar with occasional really worth it exceptions. I will need to think about what treats are on the really worth it list. I am really used to eating this way now. I don't have cravings. It's amazing. I used to binge eat fairly frequently so this is a very freeing feeling. Anyway I'm so proud of how far I've come. I thought this was going to be torture based on my last forays into paleo and really I just need to pull the bandaid off quick and get through the first few tough days.

I made red curry last night with chicken, zucchini, bell peppers, and sweet potato. It turned out really good. that was my first time making it. I will definitely be doing that again.

qqemokitty, that Brazilian restaurant sounds great! enjoy! I have not been to a restaurant this whole time. Can't think of any restaurants to trust around here. LOL. Looking forward to it when I'm done. My kids keep saying "when can we go to a restaurant?"

Ellen, hope you can get rid of that sweets cravings. I have been eating some fruit but not a lot and not as dessert--just part of the meal. I haven't had any nuts in a week or two and stopped the almond butter for now since it is easy to overeat.

keep it up everyone!

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Well its the evening of day 13 for me and I feel great.
    I no longer crave sugar or wine or bread (even though I have not had bread for ages it is my weakness). I am amazed at how this has all panned out for me I never thought I could complete the whole 30 but now I am wondering how I can go back to eating like before.
    I have had shingles for the last two weeks and have felt pretty awful at times (and I was not sure why as in was it the low carb flu or shingles).
    My whole family commented how nice our meals have been which is probably because I have been inventive to keep the family on track. My fav dinner so far was rump steak, broccolini with sweet potato,carrot and red onion tossed in cumin and baked yummo. I have been in ketosis for days on end and I am wearing a work shirt that did not fit two weeks ago so am pretty happy.
    Hope everyone else is tracking well
    Last edited by jacmac; 09-17-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    For your 1/2 can of coconut milk plus berries dessert, do you whip the coconut milk or is it room-temp straight up liquid? I still haven't figured out how to get a thick cream (like whipped cream) without using the stuff with guar gum that separates on its own (Thai Kitchen brand). I've put cans in the fridge to try to get them to separate with no success.
    I use a couple of brands of coconut milk, both are liquid at room temperature. I found that one (and I can't remember which, it might have been by Chaokoh) actaully went solid in the fridge. I mix ~1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and ~1/4 teaspoon vanilla flavouring into my 1/2 can coconut milk using a whisk before I pour it over my berries, so it does become slightly thicker.

Last couple of days have gone well, been eating up leftover coconut ginger pork, BAS salad with mackerel for lunches and I got to the gym on Thursday to do more LHT for the week. I'm being bad and have taken a slightly deviation off the Whole30 plan for friday and saturday nights by having some cheese on baked sweet potato for dinner followed by a couple of squares of dark chocolate but I'm allowing that (otherwise me and the OH would have nothing to eat together while I visit this weekend).

JayGee is offline Member
    Day 15. I have a terrible cold, so not eating much.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    I have what is no doubt a stupid question. I just received the book and I've done a search here but I can't locate the information on what a 'whole 30' is...I don't know if I'm in a fog or just inept but could someone give me a clue? Thanks in advance.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I survived the wedding, no booze, ate some fruit, veggies, pork and fish. The only non-whole 30 thing was the sauce on the pork which I scraped off. It was a wine reduction, so probably primal minimally, so not so concerned. Skipped the pastries. cake, candy and cheese.

Feeling better, but the first thing to come back when I am done is Kerrygold, LOL. AndI want some primal pancakes.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Whole 30 is just a challenge of eating very clean for a month- it's primal but no dairy, chocolate, sugar etc. at all allowed. Basically eliminates that 20%.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast